Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Pre-Ordering this for myself for my birthday tomorrow.

Fuck the nay-sayers, this shit looks awesome.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
They are leaving a lot of money on the table by not porting this to PC. Its unfortunate we don't get to judge the games combat system with both a controller and a mouse and keyboard setup. I'd buy it if it was on PC, but not a console.

Heckler_sl

shitlord
They are leaving a lot of money on the table by not porting this to PC. Its unfortunate we don't get to judge the games combat system with both a controller and a mouse and keyboard setup. I'd buy it if it was on PC, but not a console.
Your logic is inconsistent. If they were leaving a lot of money on the table, they would have ported it to PC. Whatever they gain by porting it clearly isn't worth the effort (balancing it for mouse and keyboard, massive amounts of online back-end, QA, marketing, whatever else), otherwise they would have done it. At least, it isn't worth it compared to having a last gen version and getting a foothold in the current gen.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So Kotick revealed last week and since confirmed with Reuters that the total development and marketing budget for Destiny is ~$500 million. This really does seem like a ludicrous budget for a new ip especially given the rather lukewarm reception their media day received.

Have we entered into the era of the AAAA aka 4A title? Unless they have lots of microtransactions planned they will need to move 12-15 million copies just to break even.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's no way it won't be on PC eventually if they're spending this much money. Online games can last 10 years on the PC, and they know it.

There's also the fact that they need to sell 15 million copies, and the installed base of PC users dwarfs all the consoles combined.

spronk

FPS noob
That number is a bit misleading. $500m is what they "intend to spend", and they envision the franchise lasting at least 10 years. So yeah, $500m on a studio over 10 years is pretty normal especially if they pump out a new version of destiny every 2-3 years and season pass/DLCs/etc every few months.

I sorta hope the beta this summer is disappointing, I would cancel my PS4 preorder and wait for the game on PC. Fuck em for not treating master race as the gods we are!

I wonder how Titanfall ended up doing on its platforms, especially how PC did vs xbone and 360. I am pretty much assuming Destiny is gonna be like Titanfall, where its a fun game but after 50-100 hours you don't feel like playing anymore.

edit: if you have preordered use these loot codes to get free shit in game
Destiny Loot Codes : PS4

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They made no indication that was for 10 years, in fact their own PR people seem to indicate that is the marketing and development budget for the singular Destiny title to be released later this year.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
They made no indication that was for 10 years, in fact their own PR people seem to indicate that is the marketing and development budget for the singular Destiny title to be released later this year.
If they have spent as much on one game as Peter Jackson has on the Hobbit movies (or 200 million more than the first three LOTR movies) then they are crazy.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
That was the entire theme of the interview they did... that it is a truly insane budget for any game and a BIG gamble on a new ip. They intend nothing less than for it to be their next major franchise and pull in Skylanders/WoW type of annual business.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There is an article you an read somewhere - i saw it earlier but its for everything over 10 years so it kinda breaks down to 50m a year including advertising etc.

HUH_sl

shitlord
There's no way it won't be on PC eventually if they're spending this much money. Online games can last 10 years on the PC, and they know it.

There's also the fact that they need to sell 15 million copies, and the installed base of PC users dwarfs all the consoles combined.
They don't want the game to last 10 years. They want that shit to die after a year so you'll run out and buy one of the sequels. They have a 10 year plan involving multiple sequels. The first game will be released on last gen consoles, it was never meant to last, they'll drop it as soon as they can to move more resources to Destiny 2.

We'll get a PC version of one of the later sequels, once the last gen support is dropped and they've milked everything they can from yearly console releases.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Destiny is an MMO type game - not exactly the type to have a yearly sequel - but yearly expansions are possible like every other MMO does already - also its last and current gen systems.

spronk

FPS noob
i posted it on the e3 thread too but in case you missed it, destiny is going to be available for a few people on ps4 in alpha this weekend. sign up for a chance here:
http://playstation.greatnessawaits.com/destiny.html

i think it says you need PS+. If you attended the E3 Sony movie theater presentation this week, redeem the code ASAP as you will be e-mailed a Destiny alpha code tomorrow (and a BF Hardline beta code next week and a $5 PSN voucher week after).

Destiny will go in full beta July 17th (?) or so for all pre-orders, can preorder from amazon, get a code, and cancel your preorder up until it ships.

No PC version unfortunately, ps4/xbox one