Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Used to be useful for farming up those vanguard marks they had before. They also gave you a package in the mail for like the first one or two per day you did. But that app was nice because you could know exactly where to be on a planet for the next one to spawn, give or take a few min, for those vanguard marks to hit your weekly limit and buy some shit. This was also at a time where most of your gear came from vendors, not drops like it is now.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I soloed last week's with a random fire rocket launcher within 5 shots of it. I could have soloed this week with a scout rifle and any sniper. The T3 fights are mechanic fights pure and simple.

^-- this is what I typed when I saw you post that, then I watched the video just to make sure. Yeah it's a mechanics fight but he trivializes it quicker than I could, doesn't mean it's crazy OP but it isn't garbage.

Column_sl

shitlord
He just killed all the eyes which gives you a massive damage buff.

Bungie newsletter is out today, and the whole thing revolves around nerfing the range on shotguns.

One piece of community feedback that has been unanimous is that the changes to Shotgun perks were not enough to curb their lethality at extreme ranges in the Crucible. The prevalence of Shot Package on almost every long-range Shotgun has effectively redefined the close-quarters combat experience. Going forward, we'll continue to dial in Shotgun range.

[Editor's Note: Shotgun enthusiasts, take a deeeeep breath.]

With the deployment of Update 2.0.1, we will wholesale remove the Shot Package perk from all Shotguns. Any shotgun with Shot Package (depending on the exact weapon) will now have Close and/or Personal, Crowd Control, or Knee Pads. This change has not negatively impacted our PVE playtests.
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13688

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am at 307 light and raid armor in every slot but helm and every raid weapon but the heavy. Still first two chests to open in raid this week. Got my sleeper and my ToM just need spindle I guess. Not finished with exotic sword quest but in no rush.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I am at 307 light and raid armor in every slot but helm and every raid weapon but the heavy. Still first two chests to open in raid this week. Got my sleeper and my ToM just need spindle I guess. Not finished with exotic sword quest but in no rush.
I hate you....
smile.png

Weeks second raid gave me... another 300 chest (which is the only armor I have already) and nothing else... loot plix!

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I am going to throw up here as an open question because I am looking for information and opinions.

I am pretty much a PC only (ok, Nintendo too) gamer. A coworker of mine told me that I absolutely have to play Destiny because it is the most awesomest game ever and it would be good research. We have a console here at the office, so far I've been playing a bit during work hours making it to level 7 and... I am absolutely bored to tears. I've been bored from the start and it has yet to get any better. For now I am treating it like work and attempting to push through.

From my perspective it is one of the most basic and least interesting shooters I have played in almost every way. The weapons, abilities, level design, NPC design, ability design, and overall game-play (total lack of resource management for example) are about as simple as you can imagine and they interact is basic, uninteresting ways.

What am I missing? Does it get better? How and why? What do you find compelling about the game?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
You have the basics of the game in front of you but it does get better. There are a ton of gun varieties that feel different and you unlock all your talent trees and all that shit. There are also more enemy types than what you find on earth. Story telling is shit until you get to the new expansion. It is a shooter though, you shoot stuff. You have an ultimate ability every ~5 minutes and grenades and a melee special as well, but you're not gonna be chain castin frostbolt or whatever.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You aren't missing anything. It's one of those games that just is what it is and you can dislike it quite easily. When the first raid came out we mastered it quite quickly and gears up fast. Zero reason to play it after that and a good portion of our group quit with very few coming back.

I am enjoying it again but I see it as less of a shooter and more as a F2P MMO lite that happens to be a basic console shooter.

Column_sl

shitlord
What am I missing? Does it get better? How and why? What do you find compelling about the game?
Look we are not here to sell games to you. If you don't like it , don't play it. It's that simple.

Please don't derail this thread tho 2 years later with this nonsense. If you want to know what we think of the game read through the thread from a year ago.

Back on the game I believe the Sleeper quest is available again today if you missed it earlier,

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Back on the game I believe the Sleeper quest is available again today if you missed it earlier,
Yeah I was bummed wed that I missed it I thought the gunsmith would give you a quest, but found out later the next day that just a mission appears on earth. But when I got on last night it was still there so first steps are completed. Pretty easy so far. I was even lucky with the warsat part, its like they popped for me right when I zoned in on earth and mars it was incredible, only had to wait like 20 min on moon.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
He just killed all the eyes which gives you a massive damage buff.

Bungie newsletter is out today, and the whole thing revolves around nerfing the range on shotguns.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13688
Anything short of removing the one-shot ability of the shotgun campers is just putting a bandaid on things. It needs it damage/mechanic toned down to match the other special weapons if they do not want it to be the go-to choise for PvP/IB/TOO.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anything short of removing the one-shot ability of the shotgun campers is just putting a bandaid on things. It needs it damage/mechanic toned down to match the other special weapons if they do not want it to be the go-to choise for PvP/IB/TOO.
John Wisnewski said in a podcast that certain guns have an inherent expectation in all shooter games they they will not get rid of, like a headshot from a sniper kills you, or a shotgun at close range will kill you. So yeah, the thinking that they will nerf shotguns not to kill you in one shot is a pipe dream. They will still kill you in one shot, but now they just have to be closer. Either way the shotgun warriors will still be there ready to take you out behind your back while youre ADSing the other direction.

He said that those players that like to play up close and take the risk of getting close to another player should be rewarded.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I feel no hatred towards shotgunners. Honestly the dudes sniping down hallways 24/7 with good aim that kill you the second you're in visual is more annoying. They're not on your radar so all you can do to avoid them is to try to counter snipe and hope you're better/not outnumbered, or go the long way which is usually through mid where there's 3 pulse rifles bearing down on you any second.

The off the radar shotgun people that don't move and just camp are human garbage though.

spronk

FPS noob
I am going to throw up here as an open question because I am looking for information and opinions.

I am pretty much a PC only (ok, Nintendo too) gamer. A coworker of mine told me that I absolutely have to play Destiny because it is the most awesomest game ever and it would be good research. We have a console here at the office, so far I've been playing a bit during work hours making it to level 7 and... I am absolutely bored to tears. I've been bored from the start and it has yet to get any better. For now I am treating it like work and attempting to push through.

From my perspective it is one of the most basic and least interesting shooters I have played in almost every way. The weapons, abilities, level design, NPC design, ability design, and overall game-play (total lack of resource management for example) are about as simple as you can imagine and they interact is basic, uninteresting ways.

Do you work in the gaming industry? From your wording it sounds like your co worker is suggesting it as work research.

Destiny is insanely popular and very "sticky", in that people who pick it up keep playing for a long, long, long time sometimes with long breaks in between. It has many of the carrot & stick models that MMOs have, and done in a much more casual friendly way. So yeah, if you are looking to figure out what things games can do to keep their popularity, longevity, positive word of mouth, etc then Destiny is a good research model. You need to get to level 40 and do stuff in the endgame and play with friends to really understand, it would take too long to explain and any dev will understand quickly once they start doing stuff at 40 and understands the systems Destiny has in place for loot RNG, rewards, win vs. loss, daily limits, PVP modes, daily/weekly goals, etc. There are many, many, many flaws in Destiny and you will see many of them as you level but I haven't seen a game be so addictive since world of warcraft/LOL/DOTA, really.

Of course its also not something that will work for indie games, a lot of the popularity from Destiny comes from having a ton of people playing, friends playing, big marketing pushes, etc.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Destiny is like one of those games that you either really love or really hate. To me the thing that sucked me in is the shooting mechanics and the thing that keeps me coming back is RNG, in the 10,000 ft view.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
John Wisnewski said in a podcast that certain guns have an inherent expectation in all shooter games they they will not get rid of, like a headshot from a sniper kills you, or a shotgun at close range will kill you. So yeah, the thinking that they will nerf shotguns not to kill you in one shot is a pipe dream. They will still kill you in one shot, but now they just have to be closer. Either way the shotgun warriors will still be there ready to take you out behind your back while youre ADSing the other direction.

He said that those players that like to play up close and take the risk of getting close to another player should be rewarded.
Oh I am perfectly fine with the shotgun, people use them as intended; one-shot to the face (or sliding). My statement was that the range thing will not "fix" anything. Anyone using a shotgun and think the sky is falling is, in my opinion, using them wrong and have been using the shot package as a crutch.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have a spare Antiquated Rune to use for Court of Oryx? I need to complete that portion for my "Depose the Court" quest for the 300 ghost. Have yet to get an Antiquated rune sadly. I'll of course supply the stolen runes if it needs to be charged.

Leave a message here or message my PS4 name (LostVirtue). I'd greatly appreciate it!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a spare Antiquated Rune to use for Court of Oryx? I need to complete that portion for my "Depose the Court" quest for the 300 ghost. Have yet to get an Antiquated rune sadly.

Leave a message here or message my PS4 name (LostVirtue). I'd greatly appreciate it!
Ive got a few. Ill be on later tonight like 11PM EST, look me up evaneezer110. and I dont think its a ghost, its a relic.