Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah, they need to add serious glimmer bonuses for shit. I think it's ~147 glimmer for a PVP win. That's almost a whopping 20 glimmer per minute for most matches! Bounties should have a glimmer bonus too. Glimmer is a limiting resource that having 'too much' of in the population has 0 negative effects on the game. They're either going into excess ammo synths or they're going to green cryptarch engrams for crypt rep. Both things I think they could live with if they made glimmer more readily available.

If you use a consumable on a 26 strike while running the playlist you can however net around 1k glimmer after all is said and done per strike.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah, they need to add serious glimmer bonuses for shit. I think it's ~147 glimmer for a PVP win. That's almost a whopping 20 glimmer per minute for most matches! Bounties should have a glimmer bonus too. Glimmer is a limiting resource that having 'too much' of in the population has 0 negative effects on the game. They're either going into excess ammo synths or they're going to green cryptarch engrams for crypt rep. Both things I think they could live with if they made glimmer more readily available.

If you use a consumable on a 26 strike while running the playlist you can however net around 1k glimmer after all is said and done per strike.
The amount of glimmer from PvP matches is really low, but atleast it is something. The time it takes to get an upgrade on an exotic weapon PvP'ing nets you enough glimmer at least. Just doing PvE bounties gets you close to nothing in terms of glimmer. 250 for kill 10 major ones. I would be happy with 100 glimmer for 5k exp PvE bounties.

Stave

Potato del Grande
So I finally got this game for PS3 for xmas. I am leaning towards hunter for the mobility (like jumping around in Titanfall and CoD AW). Is this a good class? And what is the type of weapon I should be aiming for? Are there OP ones? I don't have the expansion yet. Can I worry about that once I get to cap, or is it important to have it for leveling too?

Xevy

Log Wizard
All classes can jump around, but Hunter has different jumps than Titans or Warlocks. Hunters have actual jumps and a teleport whereas Titans and Warlocks have jetpacks, basically. Most all classes can be very mobile if they specialize that way, but Hunters may have the slight edge with some of their abilities.

If you're looking for PVP weapons:

Primary: Most auto rifles are the same for legendaries stat-wise. Vanquishers from New Monarchy are the exception. Scout Rifles vary slightly but both Vanguard and Crucible have very good ones. Pulse rifles are under powered right now. Handcannons you need 9+ bullets, good stability, and a +range perk ideally. If you can get the pre-DLC stuff from vendors The Devil You Know from Vanguard is pretty awesome. Lord High Fixer from Crucible is very good as well.

Secondary: Shotguns for agile classes. I don't remember the pre-DLC shotguns but look for something with good impact, good range, and go to town. If you do it right most kills are 1-shot so you don't need quick reload or quick fire. Fusion rifles are good as well and 77 Wizard from Crucible rep is the best in the business pre-DLC and maybe beyond.

Heavy: Either look for a rocket launcher with Field Scout or 3 Tube perk. Then clusters on detonation ideally and seeking/early proximity secondary. If you want more kills for your heavy ammo get The Swarm machine gun (I forget which faction). Good rate of fire, good impact, decent stability, good clip size. Machine guns you want good impact, very good stability, and a large magazine. Everything else is a bonus. If you go high rate of fire and low impact you better have at least one stability perk on the guns.

Exotics for PVP: (I play on XB1 so I can't rate the PS exclusives, but they're apparently very, very good)

Primary: Thorn (Handcannon), Suros (Auto Rifle), The Last Word (Handcannon), Mida Multi Tool (Scout rifle), Red Death (Pulse rifle with healing).

Secondary: Invective (shotgun), Pocket Infinity (Fusion Rifle), Plan C (Fusion Rifle), Patience and Time (Sniper with Stealth built in), Icebreaker (Sniper with ammo regen)

Exotics: Gjalarhorn (Rocket Launcher). The other heavy exotics pre-DLC are not worth the exotic slot.

For PVE:

Primary: It's up to your play style. If you get an auto rifle get one with a huge ammo clip (field scout). Get a scout/pulse rifle with good stability. Get a handcannon with good stability and range with higher magazine. Don't use shotguns in PVE. They're not good.

Special : Use a fusion rifle for close up play. Charge time and magazine size are big for PVE. Impact is always going to be high, but never at the point where 4 in the mag is better than 6+ in the mag. Snipers for long distance you want something with Spray and Play for fast reload on empty clip, a magazine of at least 4, and firefly.

Heavy: A rocket launcher that blows up into clusters and holds as many in the magazine as you can find (2-3). Heavy Machine guns are basically all equivalent in PVE, just make sure they have good stability and decent magazine size.

Exotics: Suros Regime (Auto Rifle), Bad JuJu (Pulse Rifle), Pocket Infinity (Fusion Rifle), Icebreaker (Sniper rifle), Plan C (Fusion Rifle), Gjallahorn (Rocket Launcher) are all top-notch

EDIT

On DLC requirements: You don't need to get it to level. You can get to 28-30 pretty easily. You'll miss out on some stuff in the higher end because of their strike system using the DLC strike for weekly/nightfall sometimes. You'll also lose out on the easiest way to get good upgrades with their lvl 26 DLC strike playlist. But if you want to experience the first raid, most all the strikes, and plenty of PVP you're not missing out on much.

Sumi_sl

shitlord
The 30 seconds to kill Crota after they yank the network cable out and a 32 kills the sword bearer once the host returns is probably the silliest thing I've ever seen in gaming. Zero sense of accomplishment with this expansion.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Not to sound elitist but the quality of players has, definitely, gone down. It's not surprising but people are grabbing the new vendor gear, hitting 30 and 31 and wanting to do VOG Hard thinking that they're ready. They're not... Maybe it was just bad luck but it took me 2.5 groups to clear VOG Hard this week. One group up to Gatekeeper, a second group to kill Gatekeeper and enough people cycling in and out to make up the "half" group to kill Aetheon. Oracle weapons are just as important at 31 and 32 as they were a few weeks ago. And the, common, mistakes that people make... Like ignoring Supplicants or simple strategies like not shooting the Hobgoblins on Mars but tossing out grenades to help the Relic Bearer with the Minotaur on Venus.

In the end though I did pick up the Vex Mythoclast and I love that thing. When I saw it was a Primary weapon Fusion Rifle I was like "meh" I had no idea that it was more like an Auto Rifle than a Fusion Rifle though. Hits really hard and is really accurate.

I should hit 31 either today or tomorrow though. Looking forward to that. I still need to find a group for Crota's End just to clear it and hope for some loot.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm almost 32 and I've never done Atheon on HM VoG. I've attempted two or three times at the gatekeeper/conflux stage, but destiny LFG has WoW dungeon finder syndrome. If you haven't done it, you're not going to get some one to teach you. If you know how to do it, you aren't going to wait around for some one to learn. It's mostly people looking for a full group of experience people to do it in 10 minutes and leave. I completely understand that it just sucks.

Also half the people are fucking French Canadian. Barf.

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
All classes can jump around, but Hunter has different jumps than Titans or Warlocks. Hunters have actual jumps and a teleport whereas Titans and Warlocks have jetpacks, basically. Most all classes can be very mobile if they specialize that way, but Hunters may have the slight edge with some of their abilities.
Actually the hunter are by far the weakest class in pvp and pve. But I'll stop talking about class balance.

If you're looking for PVP weapons:

Primary: Most auto rifles are the same for legendaries stat-wise. Vanquishers from New Monarchy are the exception. Scout Rifles vary slightly but both Vanguard and Crucible have very good ones. Pulse rifles are under powered right now. Handcannons you need 9+ bullets, good stability, and a +range perk ideally. If you can get the pre-DLC stuff from vendors The Devil You Know from Vanguard is pretty awesome. Lord High Fixer from Crucible is very good as well.
Since the dlc hit, all vendor auto rifles pretty much suck balls. Even that New Monarchy Vanquisher is weak. Needs too good of mods to make it worth it. For auto rifles in pvp you want max stability. All other mods are worthless. SUROS is still the king of auto rifles. But even then a Galahad-E or a Shinigen-C are both good. Hand cannons are split between Thorn/TLW/new crucible gun. No one uses old hand cannons. Pulse rifles that have range and stability are pretty much up there with scout rifles and sniper rifles. Scout rifles need fast rate of fire or they're garbage.

Secondary: Shotguns for agile classes. I don't remember the pre-DLC shotguns but look for something with good impact, good range, and go to town. If you do it right most kills are 1-shot so you don't need quick reload or quick fire. Fusion rifles are good as well and 77 Wizard from Crucible rep is the best in the business pre-DLC and maybe beyond.
Shotguns are for people that know how to use them, nothing agile about a 1 shot kill weapon. New Monarchy has the highest impact shotgun available. I got lucky with mine and got a full auto mod. 77 wizard is crap. Charge rate is supreme for fusion rifles in pvp. Nothing beats my The Calming. Except that blue fusion rifle that has the best charge rate in the game with accelerated coils. As far as sniper rifles, Praedyths Revenge is the only sniper to use. Rate of fire and stability are king for snipers. Ice breaker requires a headshot or the person survives. No way to get a second shot in quick enough with IB.

Heavy: Either look for a rocket launcher with Field Scout or 3 Tube perk. Then clusters on detonation ideally and seeking/early proximity secondary. If you want more kills for your heavy ammo get The Swarm machine gun (I forget which faction). Good rate of fire, good impact, decent stability, good clip size. Machine guns you want good impact, very good stability, and a large magazine. Everything else is a bonus. If you go high rate of fire and low impact you better have at least one stability perk on the guns.
The Swarm used to be from Vanguard, but the only way to get it now is to have a blue heavy weapon engram decrypt into The Swarm. Otherwise any stability mods on a machine gun are key. As far as rockets go, if you aren't using Truth, you will be using a machine gun. Corrective Measure is probably the second best of the easy to get items. A Jolders Hammer with stability mods is good too.

Exotics for PVP: (I play on XB1 so I can't rate the PS exclusives, but they're apparently very, very good)

Primary: Thorn (Handcannon), Suros (Auto Rifle), The Last Word (Handcannon), Mida Multi Tool (Scout rifle), Red Death (Pulse rifle with healing).

Secondary: Invective (shotgun), Pocket Infinity (Fusion Rifle), Plan C (Fusion Rifle), Patience and Time (Sniper with Stealth built in), Icebreaker (Sniper with ammo regen)

Exotics: Gjalarhorn (Rocket Launcher). The other heavy exotics pre-DLC are not worth the exotic slot.
You must not pvp a lot. If you have a Truth, that will be your only exotic to use. Gjallahorn is the worst choice. In terms of best to worst exotics to use in pvp, the list looks like this: Truth, SUROS Regime, Thorn, Thunderlord, The Last Word, Hard Light, Plan C. Everything else just sucks too bad to use. I have a Red Hand that's better than Thorn and TLW for pvp. I Have a Shadow Price that's better than SUROS for pvp. The only exotic in pvp that feels like an exotic is Truth.

For PVE:

Primary: It's up to your play style. If you get an auto rifle get one with a huge ammo clip (field scout). Get a scout/pulse rifle with good stability. Get a handcannon with good stability and range with higher magazine. Don't use shotguns in PVE. They're not good.

Special : Use a fusion rifle for close up play. Charge time and magazine size are big for PVE. Impact is always going to be high, but never at the point where 4 in the mag is better than 6+ in the mag. Snipers for long distance you want something with Spray and Play for fast reload on empty clip, a magazine of at least 4, and firefly.

Heavy: A rocket launcher that blows up into clusters and holds as many in the magazine as you can find (2-3). Heavy Machine guns are basically all equivalent in PVE, just make sure they have good stability and decent magazine size.

Exotics: Suros Regime (Auto Rifle), Bad JuJu (Pulse Rifle), Pocket Infinity (Fusion Rifle), Icebreaker (Sniper rifle), Plan C (Fusion Rifle), Gjallahorn (Rocket Launcher) are all top-notch
If you have a Mythoclast, that's your primary for a while. Plug.one.1 from Vanguard weapons vendor is the fusion rifle to use. Or Murmur if you got Eris rank3. Then Hunger of Crota rocket launcher. Otherwise Gjallahorn for the exotic and whatever non crap primary you have. Switch in Ice Breaker when needed.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Honestly, I think VoG is harder than Crota's End.
It is.

In response to Xevy, if you are a decent player, you can load up a youtube video of the encounter and figure out what you need to do in 10min for Atheon. Now that being said, there are a lot of shitty players in this game, which can make gatekeeper and atheon a pain in the ass. Fuck this week I was in a group that couldn't cheese Templar from the ledge.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
We've managed to push Aethon down with only 3 people alive on Hardmode. It was still a serious pain though.

H.A. Monkey

It is.

In response to Xevy, if you are a decent player, you can load up a youtube video of the encounter and figure out what you need to do in 10min for Atheon. Now that being said, there are a lot of shitty players in this game, which can make gatekeeper and atheon a pain in the ass. Fuck this week I was in a group that couldn't cheese Templar from the ledge.
That's because they fixed the Templar cheese.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I think he meant having the raid on the ledge popping oracles while the relic bearer runs around on the Templar's level to bring down the shield.

H.A. Monkey

Yeah, I'm going to stick with what I said. You want Truth over Gjallahorn. I don't think so, sir.
Well you must suck at pvp. The tracking on Gjallahorn is not aggressive enough to actually track guardians well enough. Now Truth on the other hand was designed solely for pvp in mind. Super aggressive tracking paired with the exploding early mod out performs Gjallahorn by a mile. I never see other peoples Gjallahorns track around corners for kills, but Truth does it all the time. It's hilarious to see people try and jump out of the way of Truth too. Jumping out of the way of all other rockets is easy.

Erie_sl

shitlord
Pfft, rocket launchers in pvp suck in general. Corrective measure ftw, I've gone on a 20 killstreak alone with the machine gun, without running out of ammo before the next heavy ammo drop.