Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Total newb question, but I have a 300 Icebreaker and missed 331 upgrade....should I just drop the coins to buy the new one? I think its worth it.

Just got back into this, hit 31, started getting good weapons and have been working to level them (Suros, Thorn, bad Juju, Against All odds, harms way, Vanguard Arc Sniper etc) but still have a ways to go to max them.

Did VoG and made it to Atheon but group was shit and we couldnt finish it. Still need to find time to get a raid going to finish that, then try Crotas.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Buy the new one. You will get 2 exotic shards for breaking old one down and save one for not using the upgrade, for a total of 3. Seeing as how Shards cost 7 coins each, you are actually net +4 coins and 7-8k glimmer.

That's assuming you aren't swimming in shards already, but if you are you are probably swimming in coins too so it doesn't matter

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Holy shit, are they really selling Icebreaker? I didnt thin they would EVER sell that again, considering how game changing it is. People logging in must be down or some shit. I know I have not logged in for a week now.
Seeing these kinds of posts (mostly on reddit) is annoying, I don't know why people think that Bungie is scared of players getting good weapons. Nothing will ever be taken off of Xur's rotation due to being overpowered, not even Ballerhorn. I can't find that Bungie has never said anything resembling that, they don't seem bothered by the balance of the badass exotic weapons, and their encounter tuning is actually really great until people start cheesing shit.

There should be some overpowered weapons, and Bungie probably wants people to have them. Items like that keep you interested and keep you coming back. You want players to be able to hit that badass status, and even these amazing weapons will some day be passed up by items that are much better like every other game. To not sell these items again would alienate anyone that didn't start at launch.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was always in the camp that xur is totally RNG based. The two weeks that we had Plan C twice in a row sealed that theory for me.

Again, having powerful weapons, game changing weapons like those just makes all other exotics worthless. I have like 7-8 exotics, and aside PvP, which is its own different meta , I only use like 2 exotics, ever. 3 if you count burns.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I will be buying an Ice Breaker this week, already have 2 but want a 3rd so each one of my toons has one. Seriously its that good. For those asking buy as many as you can afford while still keeping enough coins in reserve for Gjallarhorn. Me? I am keeping enough coins in reserve to buy 3 Gjallarhorns when/if Xur sells them =P

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Seeing these kinds of posts (mostly on reddit) is annoying, I don't know why people think that Bungie is scared of players getting good weapons. Nothing will ever be taken off of Xur's rotation due to being overpowered, not even Ballerhorn. I can't find that Bungie has never said anything resembling that, they don't seem bothered by the balance of the badass exotic weapons, and their encounter tuning is actually really great until people start cheesing shit.

There should be some overpowered weapons, and Bungie probably wants people to have them. Items like that keep you interested and keep you coming back. You want players to be able to hit that badass status, and even these amazing weapons will some day be passed up by items that are much better like every other game. To not sell these items again would alienate anyone that didn't start at launch.
Seeing how Bungie does things I highly doubt they ever planned on Gjallarhorn or Ice Breaker being that overpowered. By the time they realized the power of these 2 weapons it was to late. If they ever nerf Ice Breaker I see 99% of the player base quitting that day and proabaly going to Bungie headquarters with pitchforks and torches.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
So I think I have 8 banked coins atm, if I manage a nightfall group will I be able to get an icebreaker this weekend?

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Only if RNGesus loves you. A Nightfall doesn't guarantee coins. You might get a Legendary or a different Exotic (which, in your case, would actually be worse than coins).

I'd still do the Nightfall if you can swing it though. It's an easy one and it has a chance at a good piece of gear.

spronk

FPS noob
I finally got around to doing CE this week. Holy hell, was it brutal with former cheesers. Wiped to lamps and bridge multiple times. Had another 32 besides myself in the raid and couldn't down Crota. Got him in another group which was actually competent. I am not looking forward to getting a second run done this weekend.

At least before they fixxed cheeses, retards who couldn't do the fights would just leave when it a group said they were doing them the designed way.
Easy raiding rules: everyone should be 32, maybe a few 31s but no 30s. leave group if so. Inspect people's weapons, if anyone has a blue leave. If someone doesn't have a mic leave. If someone talks like a wigger, leave. If you hear a voice and you are not sure if its a girl or a boy, leave. As much as possible try to do raids on tuesday, thats the hardcore players and they don't fuck around. On the weekend you basically have mostly stoners and "my boyfriend loves destiny!" players

re: coins, the best way to get them is run the 30 heroic (not nightfall), guaranteed 9 coins per character. Do it on 3 chars and thats 27 coins per week. It really is insanely powerful to have 3 level 20s, it takes literally 10 hours each to level a 2nd/3d of the same class, you can swap all your gear and run the same shit and get 27 coins a week plus 3 nightfalls, easy. alts are meaningless in this game right now, the difference between classes is almost non existent so just find the class you like the most and make 3 of em. If you want the platinum trophy level the 3 classes to 20 and each of the subclasses to max first, before deleting them. when i say alts are meaningless i mean there are no fireteam/raid tank/heal/dps type roles, its just "you stand here, you stand there, you hold the sword, etc" and the class doesn't really matter.

probably comet in the fall (sep 2015) will make classes very different and fix a lot of their equipment issues, but its probably gonna be a $40 xpac and if house of wolves is like crota, which 99% its likely to be, most of us will stop playing at the next "lol time to shard all your gear again".

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Ok big time questions, wife got Destiny for me on the PS3 for Xmas, past week I finally started playing it and just did the story line, bounties and missions to get to 20. What's really next? This is my first FPS type of game. Do I need a headset for strikes and stuff? What do I do with all the motes of light, strange coins, etc... I really haven't found a good website to explain all this
frown.png

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Easy raiding rules: everyone should be 32, maybe a few 31s but no 30s. leave group if so. Inspect people's weapons, if anyone has a blue leave. If someone doesn't have a mic leave. If someone talks like a wigger, leave. If you hear a voice and you are not sure if its a girl or a boy, leave. As much as possible try to do raids on tuesday, thats the hardcore players and they don't fuck around. On the weekend you basically have mostly stoners and "my boyfriend loves destiny!" players.
Missed the point of my post. Wish they didn't fix the cheeses so it would be easier to not play with all the shitty people who can't do simple encounters. I dont mind there being 30's in a raid, nor does everyone need icebreaker/ballerhorn/etc.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Ok big time questions, wife got Destiny for me on the PS3 for Xmas, past week I finally started playing it and just did the story line, bounties and missions to get to 20. What's really next? This is my first FPS type of game. Do I need a headset for strikes and stuff? What do I do with all the motes of light, strange coins, etc... I really haven't found a good website to explain all this
frown.png
You don't need a mic for strikes, but you should use one if you plan to do raids. Motes of light are accepted by a couple of npc's for class items and engrams. Strange coins are for a specific limited-time weekly merchant (Xur - xurday.com) that sells exotic items.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
frown.png
At this point until you are higher the motes of light are worthless. You can sometimes use them at Xur, the Weekend Special Vendor, to buy a yellow engram for potential exotic item but I havent seen that for a bit.

At 20, Do Crucible so you max out your 100 marks for the week. Do the same with vanguard playlists. You will be able to purchase purple armor using both from the class vendors and that will level you up. Do t he Daily Heroic Quests everyday at the highest level you can accomplish. Once you get a few levels into the 20s you can start trying to get through the Weekly Heroic Strike. Do as many bounties daily as you can. At this point there are several ways to get new weapons and armor.

1) Buy from Crucible or Vanguard Vendors using the marks from completing strikes and crucible matches
2) Leveling up your reputation levels with Crucible, Vanguard, Eris, Cryptarch will net you a chance at a purple item.
3) Random luck on drops and finishing crucible and vanguard events.
4) buying yellow items from Xur using the strange coins you earn from random events and Weekly Strikes.
5) Finishing Bounties randomly will give you an exotic bounty to earn an exotic weapon

Until you are 26/27 I wouldnt even try the Vault of Glass Raid and Crotas is out of the question until 31 IMHO. You are in a grind now, basically just do as much as possible with the goal of accumulating assets and items to gear up. Once you are high enough you can add Nightfall Strikes as well with a full group to earn some nice stuff.

Thats my simplistic newb advice from just having done this. Im not hardcore enough to get into multiple characters to max income and rewards.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's funny... now that they 'fixed' a bunch of Crota's End stuff... my group of 2-4 is actually doing most stuff the 'right way'. The first part we do cheez sometimes by hopping from the rock to the ledge, but othertimes a hunter with stealth gauntlets just waddles up to the bridge. The second part the only cheez is how we despawn thralls. Other than that we have to still make the bridge, kill a gatekeeper, and sworder has to live on the other side. Ir Yut is harder now that it's a 3 minute battle out of the gate and you definitely get penalized for the less people you have, but we managed to do it with jellyhorns and smart titan bubbles. Crota we haven't killed yet, but we're just going to have to do it the 'right way'. Going to have to have all 4 of us and have a shield team and a sword guy and a boomer sniper. Think it's not a perfect fix, but still they are making some of us work harder for it for sure. Kind of funny Ir Yut dropped an Icebreaker for me last night. Would be my 4th one on my only character. And now Xur has one. IB's for errryone!

I'll reiterate that I think the pacing on this game is pretty good. It gives us something to do every 3 months if you're a hardcore player. The casuals may never even catch up between. That said, I do think they need to add shit that lets you catch up your favorite pieces of gear. I'm sure people would be fine spending an exotic shard or 15k glimmer or 100 helium or something to turn their fatebringer or vision of confluence into a max dmg (363?) weapon for the expansion. I think armor is fine letting us regrind as it's pretty good, but there's so much RNG on weapons they really need us to have a little control. The exotic shards upgrading weapons isn't that bad. I think I had all my exotics except my Saint 14 helm upgraded in like the first 2 weeks. But then there's that random engram pistol with counterbalance, rangefinder, and field scout that you wish you could keep, but for anything but PVP is worthless.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
If anyone on Xbox wants to run CEs I would be down. I haven't done VoG or CE yet but I am 31 and I have watched streams/youtubes on the fights in CE/VoG. I am not amazing but I don't suck either. My gt is Leaadas123

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
At this point until you are higher the motes of light are worthless. You can sometimes use them at Xur, the Weekend Special Vendor, to buy a yellow engram for potential exotic item but I havent seen that for a bit.

At 20, Do Crucible so you max out your 100 marks for the week. Do the same with vanguard playlists. You will be able to purchase purple armor using both from the class vendors and that will level you up. Do t he Daily Heroic Quests everyday at the highest level you can accomplish. Once you get a few levels into the 20s you can start trying to get through the Weekly Heroic Strike. Do as many bounties daily as you can. At this point there are several ways to get new weapons and armor.

1) Buy from Crucible or Vanguard Vendors using the marks from completing strikes and crucible matches
2) Leveling up your reputation levels with Crucible, Vanguard, Eris, Cryptarch will net you a chance at a purple item.
3) Random luck on drops and finishing crucible and vanguard events.
4) buying yellow items from Xur using the strange coins you earn from random events and Weekly Strikes.
5) Finishing Bounties randomly will give you an exotic bounty to earn an exotic weapon

Until you are 26/27 I wouldnt even try the Vault of Glass Raid and Crotas is out of the question until 31 IMHO. You are in a grind now, basically just do as much as possible with the goal of accumulating assets and items to gear up. Once you are high enough you can add Nightfall Strikes as well with a full group to earn some nice stuff.

Thats my simplistic newb advice from just having done this. Im not hardcore enough to get into multiple characters to max income and rewards.
A few additions...

Dont forget about the daily bounties. If youre a PvP guy, do the PvP ones, if youre a PvE guy do the PvE stuff. (PvE stuff is way easier and less grind) They give you faction standing with the appropriate vendor, vanguard for PvE and Crucible for PvP. Once youre vanguard rank 2 you can start buying the gear, boots and gloves to start with. Then for the chest you will need a vanguard commendation, this you get from turning the rep wheel for every rank after two. So at vanguard rank 3, 4, 5...etc... you will get commendations every time you ding the vanguard rank. Plus some other junk, even maybe a purple vanguard gun of some sort.

Marks (vanguard to buy the purple gear) can also be gained from doing planetary public events. There is a website something like destinypublicevents.com or some shit that has all the timers and where they pop. You can easily hit 100 marks in a day of grinding those, and all you have to do is show up shoot a couple of bullets and let the others around you complete them and you get full rewards. You also get the stuff you need (shards, energies) to level your gear and guns from them although its random....

Concentrate on getting the boots, gloves and chest and leveling those up as much as you can. Definitely do the strikes, the rewards are great, the blue engrams and a chance at purple engrams, even exotics for rewards although very rare.

Then at lv 27/28 or so you will want to go to destinylfg.net and spam for a VoG normal run. Watch a few videos before hand, but its not rocket science and this will be a great source for more shards and energies to level up your guns and gear. Even if you dont complete it, just doing a few phases of it and getting a few chests open is guaranteed shards and energies, plus a chance at some raid guns, exotic guns...etc...

The weekly dungeons should be done at the highest level you can do them at. I think now they are 24/26/30 and each of them awards 3 coins, or if you do the 26 you will get 6 coins and if you do the 30 first you will get all 9 so make friends.

I would not recommend buying a helmet from the vanguard guy. Its just too expensive. Save your strange coins and motes of light and wait for xur to sell an exotic helm or helm engram for motes of light that you can roll one for your class hopefully 33% chance. It does not really matter what it is just that its for your class and it gets you to a higher light level. Its all about light levels, the higher light level you are the more of the top end shit you can do that gives you the best rewards.

This will definitely get you to lv 30-31. Then you can start doing the nightfalls and crota raid at 31, you can even do the nightfall at lv 28 or 29 if you have a buddy or two to run you through them. MAKE FRIENDS!

Eatbeast

Lord Nagafen Raider
You guys were right about Thorn, have been using it in the IB this week and it has surpassed TLW as my favorite handcannon. The dot is just too much fun.