Detroit - No, really

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Thugs are confused by us Canadians.
Don't worry Adebisi, just like with all trips, make sure you pack a change of clothes!

rrr_img_51903.jpg

Angry_Ninja_sl

shitlord
Born and raised in Michigan worked in the ghetto for many years as a delivery person. You won't die as long as you stay within two blocks of the show in that area. After that it is a roll of the dice. I would suggest dinner in Greek Town before the show atPizzaPapalisAfter the showAmerican Coney Island

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I might be heading here to watch Pitt vs. BG next week. What's the likelihood of getting shot near Ford Field?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I must check back in. Went to Hockeytown before the game. It was pretty good. Game was surprisingly entertaining considering the two powerhouses on the field. The area around there is very nice as Alex said.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Was in the D this weekend for a game.

"You like sadness? Come to Detroit!"

Is there any other city in america where you can play "count the burnt down houses" as you drive around? The saddest part is that you can see that this was once a great city.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is like a 3-4 mile golden center in detroit around the stadiums that I would visit hesitantly. But dont fucking get lost on the way or on the way home, cause you will be eaten.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I don't understand the Detroit thing at all. How can we allow Somalia in the middle of our country? Shouldn't we be able to do something to fix it?
East St. Louis is MUCH worse than Detroit. You don't see this in the statistics because ESTL gets averaged in with the rest of St. Louis, so it doesn't look as bad. The urban blight there is worse than it is in Detroit and the overall homicide rate for ESTL is 102 per 100,000, over double that of Detroit. In the worst parts of ESTL, the annual homicide rate actually approaches 1,000 per 100,000. Yes, you have almost a 1% chance of being murdered every year you live in these neighborhoods. They haven't had garbage pickup or basic sewer maintenance since 1987 so people are literally living in ever-growing piles of garbage and open pools of raw sewage. It's also basically used as a dumping ground by Monsanto and several copper foundries, and you can imagine the shit that comes out of those.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The biggest problem with Detroit was the decades of leadership using this to make profit and live like kings at the expense of all its people. We had 2 mayors, Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick which basically ran the city to the ground while profiting from it. So naturally white flight happened, followed by the more affluent black community which got the fuck out of dodge and into the burbs. So all that was left there was like 1/10 the population to support the city with its tax base.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Going to Joe Louis Arena for a concert in a couple weeks. Where is the best place to get a hotel and what's the best way for travel to and from? Gonna be drunk most likely.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Sorry to necro a thead but I've been over Portland for the last 4 to 5 years and been contemplating places to live and last week a friend of mine put Detroit in my head over the east coast. Is it still as bad of a shit hole as it seems? I priced around on CL for rentals/sublets and it seems very doable and I am a journeyman autobody tech so I imagine I can figure out some work when I get to town but I dont know.

How truly shitty are the winters?
How's the downtown crime?
How hard is the liberalism?