Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
FFS I know that outsourcing is common, I used to work in a dev studio. My point was why outsource bosses in such a story heavy game when bosses are traditionally a very important part of said story? The vast majority of outsourced stuff in games is art assets, you don't outsource core parts of the game.
I guess our disagreement is in the assessment of how important bosses are in a game like Deus Ex. I agree with the [implicit] opinion of the dev team that boss fights aren't actually that important for story progression or development. It's much more important to get everything else right (quests, environmental interactions, and level design to name a few) than to tack on some lame boss fights and call it good story telling.

I'm guessing that the boss fights were required by the publisher and nobody in the studio really wanted to do them so they were outsourced.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
It's also pretty jarring how much interaction you have with them compared to the original, where you talked to every single one of them several times before the confrontation. In HR they were just a bunch of roided out mutes with zero character and plot, but they were featured in a lot of the promo material (at least Gunther 0.2 was) so I wonder if something got cut or outsourced midway through the project.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's 20% off of $50 on Games Republic right now, and if you make + validate a new account you get an extra 10% voucher that stacks, so can get it from a legit site for $36 if it's your thing.

spronk

FPS noob
few reviews have started leaking out, 9/10 from edge magazine. PC port is reportedly very good, lots of customization options. PS4 version is also good, graphics not as good as PC (obv), cutscenes are a bit blurry but otherwise 30 fps locked in game.

There is a recap video of DXHR in game, uploaded to youtube as well in case you need to catch up on story (2 parts)

ps4 images from a user

9I0AE2s.png

Jj5J2Tp.png

9I0AE2s.png

Jj5J2Tp.png

9I0AE2s.png

Jj5J2Tp.png

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Let's bump this past the imported threads, embargo just got lifted and the reviews look pretty solid, even the edgier reviews are only 7/10.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Bumping because Preload is now open on Steam for anyone who is interested.

spronk

FPS noob
sounds like the game ends abruptly and is set up for a sequel, which kinda sucks - a few youtubers had said in the past the game was in development hell for a while and probably split into two games to make release. Oh well, I guess up until that point itself its fun. The best moments in HR were the (self contained) side quests, and it sounds like MD continues that as well. Campaign seems to be 30 hours (at least) so its not a super short game, which is good.

PC version seems quite good, although Ultra will push even the most recent GPUs and 4k is pretty much impossible at current tech, 1080 SLI was getting under 20 fps
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a big-budget, super-huge sequel that delivers

CqO-13yXYAAqllP.jpg

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Well, I hope I can run it on medium, this and Witcher 3 are the only recent releases making me think about upgrading

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I mean we've known there would be sequels to this from before it was made.

Sqeenix rebooted the franchise for a reason, and the first one did very well.

I dunno how anyone can say this was in development hell, its been complete for nearly a year.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Deus Ex HR's ending was as terrible as Mass Effect 3's for the exact same reasons, so I'll take an abrupt cliffhanger/sequel-setup ending over that any day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, PC Gamer gave it an 88/100 because, while the game as a whole is great, they felt the story was lackluster. Hopefully, if there is an abrupt ending/cliffhanger, it will be resolved sooner than 5 years from now...

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I mean we've known there would be sequels to this from before it was made.

Sqeenix rebooted the franchise for a reason, and the first one did very well.

I dunno how anyone can say this was in development hell, its been complete for nearly a year.

Because some suit thought Deus Ex is a prime mobile gaming IP and gave us Deus Ex:The Fall, which was also supposed to have multiple installments. IIRC even though HR did very well, their projections were so bonkers it still "underperformed", same with the Tomb Raider reboot.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Posting live from Wisconsin dells. As kids run around this indoor park thingie, this thread reminds me I should play through revolution. Have that on PC.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got to hong kong and then couldn't finish it. I watched the recap videos. should I still finish it up?