Devilian

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was. I think Drae went Into detail once about it. We ended up with the mildly retarded version

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rift in beta was pretty damn amazing. Then they nerfed the hell out of the invasions, then renerfed them even more. Then flat out gutted them with a 10 minute timer to despawn. They could take the tech for rift and make an incredible sandbox game though. But instead they went with very local theme park invasions with little impact over the zones themselves. It made the rifts boring because once you beat them once or twice they were old hat.

Ahh well.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Rift in beta was pretty damn amazing. Then they nerfed the hell out of the invasions, then renerfed them even more. Then flat out gutted them with a 10 minute timer to despawn. They could take the tech for rift and make an incredible sandbox game though. But instead they went with very local theme park invasions with little impact over the zones themselves. It made the rifts boring because once you beat them once or twice they were old hat.

Ahh well.
Yeah. I loved the mechanic but the overall impact of the invasions left much to be desired. They became loot bags at best.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not even real lootbags, at release. They were secondary currency that only had an effect on one slot of your inventory. Good xp depending on the invasion, but really the least best thing to happen. Warhammer's Public quests were the best initially, but I think FFXIV's fate have beaten that horse soundly into the ground.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember discussing it with Scott on the thread here how the classes would end up as fotm cookie cutters and that the mix and match thing would actually end up with less diversity than games like WoW. Sure enough. Every raiding rogue at the start was whatever the assassin/grenadier thing with the charges was. Those systems look great on paper, in practice not so much. Also invasions just got annoying after awhile, having to fucking raid them for stuff was beyond a terrible idea.

It was pretty fun leveling up though, the dungeons were cool.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Actually, while a few builds were a little OP, there were still a lot of viable builds. It was the rampant nerfing and homogenizing that ruined the Souls system, all in the name of pvp balance, in their shitty bgs. And this was after they had plainly stated that they wouldn't do exactly that. Lost all faith in Trion after that.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I really enjoyed Rift on launch -- the difficulty of the 5 man content was fantastic. Have great memories of wiping repeatedly working on T2 stuff with a group of friends. Said group of friends was built entirely off my friends list; the content was hard enough that pugging was right out. I would have kept playing but I was active duty at the time and left for a 5 week field op, when I came back, all my friends had surpassed me and I had AFG waiting a month later so it just didn't feel worth it.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

Ahh well.
Please tell me you were at the great PVP battle of beta. GloomWood, warewolf invasion + PVP both sides, it was insane i was hiding on top of a roof or tree or something lol

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Actually, while a few builds were a little OP, there were still a lot of viable builds. It was the rampant nerfing and homogenizing that ruined the Souls system, all in the name of pvp balance, in their shitty bgs. And this was after they had plainly stated that they wouldn't do exactly that. Lost all faith in Trion after that.
Yup with you here. PvP balance ruined the game many times over. When the first expansion hit, I found a way to get 2 talents to stack and reduce my pets Global Cooldown to like 0.5 seconds. Thing was a beast. I was still below the top DPS build for mages as far as raiding was concerned, but can't have that kind of fun in PvP! Nerfed!

I was having fun with a gimp Beastmaster build, the stealth detection was off the charts. I couldn't *kill* anything, I just knocked arrogant rogues(you know, the ones hiding and /yell spamming) the fuck out of stealth, let my team take care of it. I forgot that 80% of their playerbase was rogues back in the day, so can't have that. They went so far as to completely remove all stealth detection talents ;\

I'd occasionally come back, but couldn't be bothered to learn whatever 1 build was the 'go-to' build. /yawn

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, they have no one to blame but themselves. Nerf the Souls, nerf the rifts, nerf the dungeons. What's left? A really shitty wow clone. But, hey, now they've got Trove. I guess 6 yr olds need an mmo too, right?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That trove stuff is painful to see them promote. I can't imagine they have many people actually playing? I never saw any potential in that. I wonder what they saw?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They saw literally 10s of millions of people playing minecraft, and wanted part of that market share. EQN saw the same thing and wanted their own piece of the pie, but clearly lack the ability to take advantage of it. I think they both missed what made Minecraft what it was and focused instead on either the aesthetics (Trove) or some of the mechanics (EQN) without having the soul of the game in either.

edit: I lost faith in Trion for RIFT when they started severely messing with tanking abilities, and went out of their way to mess up all the AE friendly builds. What they did to Reaver was a travesty =|

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nope, not yet. Just from reading information on the game and reviews of it have I formulated my current opinion. It might be pretty fun, but it looks a lot like minecraft lite with a little deeper progression system.

Haven't tried EQN yet either, but literally everything about Landmark makes me go "lawl" when it comes to their integration of it into EQN.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Please tell me you were at the great PVP battle of beta. GloomWood, warewolf invasion + PVP both sides, it was insane i was hiding on top of a roof or tree or something lol
That was some of the most fun I've had in any game for a long time. Makes me a bit more rose colored to the game than I honestly should be. Fantastic testing that was gutted for no good reason. Rift was less than half the game it should have been.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Trove was literally developed by Trion originally by like 3 people. Have no idea what much was put in to it sense.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I miss Rift alpha. The Defiant starting zone was so terrible. "Rats are chewing on the power cables of our time machine, go kill 5 of them!"