Devilian

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He's good at Mediocre. A lot of false positive came from him taking something that was asspiss and making it Mediocre, which seemed like a great step up at the time. Mediocre looks less enticing when it's the baseline, not the fix.

He was also a pretty chill guy to talk with, for what that's worth.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Don't give me wrong, back in EQ2, KoS and EoF was an awesome FIX by Scott, but he didn't need to push any boundaries. When he get the real chance to push boundary (rift system in RIFT), he didn't do jackshit, only step backward from it. And look at what he did after RIFT, you got Defiant, End of Nations, Archeage, Trove, and this Devilian. All of them are laughable products.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
ArcheAge isn't explicitly Trion's fault and Hartsman wasn't associated with Defiance or End of Nations in any way.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I think it's silly to think MMOs succeed or fail because of a single individual, as if Scott Hartsman is a hero from Might and Magic. But EQ2 made an impressive turn-around while he was in charge, from a failing dull life-less crapfest to something fairly engaging. I would say Rift was the least shitty of the WoW clones, so that's a silver star.

It's not that he's some magic-man, but I don't really see anyone else out there with a better resume in the world of MMOs.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They don't succeed because of a single guy. However, they can fail because of one. It's the problem of leadership; you can't do much if you haven't the troops, but you WONT do much if you haven't the leader(s). A good leader will find the right guys to execute the VisionT. A bad leader will push down any team no matter how good and get mediocrity, if not outright failure.

Scott isn't a bad leader, that's obvious.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
But EQ2 made an impressive turn-around while he was in charge, from a failing dull life-less crapfest to something fairly engaging. I would say Rift was the least shitty of the WoW clones, so that's a silver star.

It's not that he's some magic-man, but I don't really see anyone else out there with a better resume in the world of MMOs.
These are all pretty good points. Rift was pretty close to a spectacular game but they just didn't make the right decisions which I think is totally on Scott and other leadership.

Your best point is the comparison between him and the other guys. He kills some of the leadership in this genre. Trion also releases stuff fairly frequently. It may not be the best in the world but it gives us more options and him more chances at striking gold. Pretty smart guy.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Close to spectacular is a bit of a stretch. It was an ok game that fell short with all of its key features. Class system, rifts, etc.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Initially the class system had lots of variety, but because PVP is a plague upon MMORPGs, it was wrecked about a month into release. Rift had the most diametrically opposed factions in history, with absolutely generic as shit high fantasy on one side vs. the most random collaboration of time travelling weirdness on the other. Didn't matter in the long run though as they were eventually merged into one faction because someone finally realized that making double the content costs double the resources. WHO KNEW?!?!

Hartsman has more of an actual gamer feel to him when he comments on stuff. That is his primary draw.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
According to behind the scenes things back in the day rift was baaaaaaaaaaad pre Scott. He apparently salvaged it in just over a year.

He then had issues with control, left, and came back as the CEO or whatever he is.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed Rift (played from vanilla through Hammerknell and stopped playing a few months after we world-firsted Akylios). It definitely could've been better, but it was also very enjoyable. The final nail in my coffin was the daily island they launched (can't remember the name of it). It was MoP dailies on steroids. I told myself that I'd go and check out the expansion(s), but I never did.
frown.png

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
This is a shame. Archangel vs demon with humans as a neutral faction would of been an awesome fucking game

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
It would be an awesome game if they were not hard coded factions. Let some Angels be traitors, some devils with a good streak, and humans just running amok screwing everything up. Use an updated Aion engine with humans using a tech based wing system and go from there.
smile.png

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If games are going to start autorunning you from objective to objective ... why not just let us instantly teleport there?

iannis

Musty Nester
I think Scott does a perfectly fine job. Rift wasn't everything it should have been, but it held me for about a year and I don't feel robbed.

I haven't played any of trion's other games. ArcheAge just looked like a lolabortion to begin with, and it would have been a lot of fun to splurg out on it for a couple of weeks before the lols ran out and the abortion set in, but I was busy that month.

His job is to keep the company from going bankrupt. He's doing a fine job at that. I do wish he'd produce another good game... but negro, he got bills to pay.