Devilian

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
HAW. Classic 2.5d view asian grind rpg it looks like. Trion has become Aeria Games.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I honestly think Scott is overrated by some of you.
He's a good senior producer, but he's a terrible CEO.

While he was producing EQ2/Rift, I really enjoyed those games. That being said, I've disagreed with almost every business decision he's made at Trion since he came back as CEO. He makes the company money, yes, but the games are terrible because of the way he does it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I mean, I'm sure he's brought in some investor money but what game do they have that's bringing in money? Rift is stale, Defiance seems like a shit bomb, End of Nations was canceled, they published ArcheAge in the west and nobody even knows what a Trove or Glyph is.

Rift was bad in a lot of ways but I really thought it was a nice starting point for the company. I honestly don't care about a single thing they've done since.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I mean, I'm sure he's brought in some investor money but what game do they have that's bringing in money? Rift is stale, Defiance seems like a shit bomb, End of Nations was canceled, they published ArcheAge in the west and nobody even knows what a Trove or Glyph is.

Rift was bad in a lot of ways but I really thought it was a nice starting point for the company. I honestly don't care about a single thing they've done since.
Three characters:

F2P.

I had people in both my Rift and AA guilds who would spend hundreds of dollars on the cash shop.

Every week.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Yup with you here. PvP balance ruined the game many times over.
I loved loved loved Rift in the beginning, even with the changes from beta, which should have been the first warning. It was sad to watch them take what was an awesome game and slowly grind it down into nothing, all in the name of PvP "balance". Better than Champions, which they literally ruined on opening day with nerfs but that game should have had way longer legs than it did.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was never a huge Scott fan. I dont care for his gaming philosophy but I don't want to see the guy fail. But seriously, all these bad projects need to end. If any company should go the niche route, it's trion. They are releasing B quality games at this point. It's never a good thing for a company to want be second.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Hopefully they've learned something from working with a Korean developer with ArcheAge and this will go better for them.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Hopefully they've learned something from working with a Korean developer with ArcheAge and this will go better for them.
It won't, because they don't give a shit. During contract negotiations with XLGames for publishing ArcheAge, they were FULLY AWARE of all of the problems with the game, because for a whole year the international ArcheAge community (which I was a visible figure of) had been presenting them with constant feedback and even had several direct conversations with them. In spite of this knowledge, they REFUSED to play hardball for more creative control with the western version and were instead content to put their feet on their desks and make loads of money off of a P2W cash shop while XL continued to poison their own game.

The current business strategy for Trion is this:

1. Partially crowdfund a game by offering "founder packs" that give exclusive benefits, like Alpha access. Comcast will foot the rest of the bill.
  2. Launch the game with 75% of the features promised for launch and slowly patch those in over the next year as "content updates."
  3. Move your development team to another game and hire independent contractors to make art assets for cash shop junk while the game is left to rot.
  4. Make loads of money and do it all over again with another game.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thread turned into RIP Rift Pretty fast. I also thought the beta was a great foundation for a really good game, then the open beta events happened and it soon was watered down. I still stuck around for a year. Then the cloth wearers started bitching they couldn't tank, the plate wearers become afterthoughts I was done.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Awesome. They took the 2.5d screenshot from the english website down, but a quick google of devilian shows the imitation diablo3 graphics nice and cleanly.

Entire enterprise reeks of obvious cash grab with misleading advertisements. Remember that stupid game with the half naked fantasy women saying "Yes, my Lord?" or whatever on every sidebar on gaming sites, that lead to an incredibly lame pay to win "strategy" game? Devilian is the emo version of that, apparently.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Anyone in the beta for this or have any news? Also, can we change the title of the thread to Devilian?

Devilian

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I wasn't impressed.

It's a diablo like MMO, that's fails to capture what makes diablo fun, and adds the tedium of a MMO to it.
smile.png

To be honest it's not necessary awful, it's just has nothing very compelling about it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
To be honest it's not necessary awful, it's just has nothing very compelling about it.
Box quote for every MMO since WoW. Well, except the ones that were truly awful.

Trion is a shitfest publisher that's trying to harken back to the good old days of SOE localizing every mediocre international MMO to maybe squeeze a penny out of its shambling corpse. Devilian will carry the torch of classics like Dragon's Prophet and that shitty Wizardry thing.