Dexter

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure I understand what exactly you think was unethical about the therapist's actions? As well as the fact that from what the way they had Deb play it, she is/was in love with Dex. The therapist pointing that out is just doing her job.
The therapist planted the idea without any statement, hint, or even indication that Deb was in love with him in a romantic way. She was also in an extremely vulnerable position and open to suggestion. That kind of thing, *even if true*, is absolutely not in any way the job of a therapist. If it was real life it would have been one of the most egregious ethical violations I've ever even heard of. If that was real life and it was recorded like that, the therapist would have had her license revoked.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The therapist planted the idea without any statement, hint, or even indication that Deb was in love with him in a romantic way. She was also in an extremely vulnerable position and open to suggestion. That kind of thing, *even if true*, is absolutely not in any way the job of a therapist. If it was real life it would have been one of the most egregious ethical violations I've ever even heard of. If that was real life and it was recorded like that, the therapist would have had her license revoked.
That's an assumption. We didn't get scenes of Deb's full sessions, just clips. I seriously doubt that's how it went down. The whole point of all that is to let the audience know that Deb's in love with Dexter.

Edit: I think it's also important to consider the fact that the therapist is a non-entity. She exists solely as a plot device, a device which enables us to get a peak at what's going on in Deb's mind. She has no other function.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Deb has no ass, no tits and weighs about 40 pounds at 6 foot. All things fixable with a few weeks of the mcdonalds dollar menu

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
That's an assumption. We didn't get scenes of Deb's full sessions, just clips. I seriously doubt that's how it went down. The whole point of all that is to let the audience know that Deb's in love with Dexter.

Edit: I think it's also important to consider the fact that the therapist is a non-entity. She exists solely as a plot device, a device which enables us to get a peak at what's going on in Deb's mind. She has no other function.
It doesn't matter. No therapist under any context, with any kind of history with any patient, would ever suggest that the patient is "in love" with his or her own god damn sibling, even if they suspected as much. That could only possibly ever come up if the patient him- or herself said it first. This isn't nit-picking. It's so preposterously unreal that it reminds me of seeing a Greys Anatomy episode once (because I had female roommates in college, fuck you), and the interns performed a secret surgery for practice, almost killed someone, got caught, and not only weren't arrested immediately, they weren't even kicked out of school. I watched that shit and just yelled at the TV.

A plot device has to be realistic or make sense. Dexter plot devices are "ok, we need to get from A to B, now lets figure out how to do that" and then all the writers crap their pants and go home.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They are not siblings. Say it with me, Deb and Dex are not related. Say it one more time.

Ok, good, now try your argument again.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Adopted or not, I can't imagine how that would be ethical for a therapist to put in a patient's head.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
if Deb and Dexter have intercourse (just love this word lol),it's really some hentai shit ahah

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Adopted or not, I can't imagine how that would be ethical for a therapist to put in a patient's head.
huh? How is it unethical? Oedipus and Electra Complex are part of modern psychoanalytic theory. Is suggesting you are in love with your mother/father unethical as well?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also telling Deb she is in love with Dexter doesn't necessarily mean "Go out and fuck him"... Deb just interpreted it that way

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
huh? How is it unethical? Oedipus and Electra Complex are part of modern psychoanalytic theory. Is suggesting you are in love with your mother/father unethical as well?
Yea that's not true. Psychoanalytic theory is super old, no one who isn't an inflexible dinosaur thinks its valid (because its not) and even those who do do not subscribe to the Oedipus complex.

Blood or not, deb and dex were raised as siblings. I'm gonna say it one more time: the therapist WAS unethical. That's not my opinion, not a point up for debate. It violates the APA ethics code. It is a fact, so quit trying to argue it or I'm gonna start arguing that the sun is cold.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll agree re: psychoanalytic theory, but can you point out where in the code of ethics you are taking this from? Just curious.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you know its unethical just based on her reaction alone. im pretty sure a therapist isnt there to troll their patients.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
you know its unethical just based on her reaction alone. im pretty sure a therapist isnt there to troll their patients.
Pretty sure you've never talked to a therapist then. Their entire job is probe and provoke. Biggest trolls in the world.