Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are you upset that items are cheaper now? Or just reminded that you don't like the AH in general? I don't understand why Tenks getting a cheap Skorn would be a huge turn-off to playing the game.
I suspect it as the 'sit around refreshing the AH' part of playing D3 that Ancient didn't care to repeat.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I suspect it as the 'sit around refreshing the AH' part of playing D3 that Ancient didn't care to repeat.
Fair enough. Prices in general are much, much lower than 1.0.4 and before, so buying an affordable upgrade is much easier now. I guess you'd have to check the AH and judge for yourself.

I find that prices are usually low enough on common items I don't feel the need to refresh for mis-priced buyouts. But the AH is still a big part of the game experience. If you hate it entirely, the game will probably still piss you off.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_8182.gif

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I farmed the AH quite a bit before 1.0.4 but haven't touched it since. The reward of grinding paragon makes it more fun for me to actually play the game than play the AH. It's still all about the elusive loot farming but paragon was just the incentive I needed to stop sitting on the AH and actually play the game. That and being able to switch up acts is amazing for variety although I still often end up in Act 3 since it's still slightly better than the others.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
What route do you take in Act III? I kinda just waypoint all over the place and kill things but would be good to know a more efficient way~

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Route for what? XP? Keys? Gear farming?

Keys seems to be just go to Depths 1 and get 3 NV there. Then go to Depths 2 and kill the elite that is near the WP. Then go to Arreat Creator and kill the elites there (you also get good XP for all those little scorpion things) then go to Stonefort

For XP/Gear farming (obv XP is on MP0 and gear farming on whatever MP you can tolerate) I'd get the NV by doing all of Depths 1/2. Then going outside into the Barracks. Then go to Bridge. Then go to Arreat then probably Stonefort. Act3 has a ton of densely packed monster areas as long as you stay off the overworld mostly.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good advice from Tenks. When I am specifically after keys, I start in Depths 1, then either hit Core for a couple more stacks or if I am at 4, go directly to Stonefort and pick up the last stack in transit.

For XP, the post-Siegebreaker section of Act 3 has some of the highest XP density in the game. As Tenks suggested, you can stack up first then hit it to maximize XP if you want, since Depths is good for xp and packs as well. The bridge leading to Siege often has a number of packs (don't forget the bonus areas), so it's a good stop for gear farming as well.

An off-topic tip: after being frustrated that my web profile wasn't updating, I did some experimenting and found that the profile reliably syncs up when you log in. So if you tend to leave the game on for long stretches, your profile won't update frequently. Just log out and log back in and it will refresh. No need to fully exit the game. Hopefully this saves someone a headache.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Alkaizer runs are still the best for XP, and pretty good for loot. Obviously run on MP0.

Vault -> Black Canyon Mines -> Road to Alcarnus on MP1 for loot.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Alkaizer runs are still the best for XP, and pretty good for loot. Obviously run on MP0.

Vault -> Black Canyon Mines -> Road to Alcarnus on MP1 for loot.
You still playing D3? I don't see you on often.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nope. There's a "last updated" on someone's profile, which is in my sig. I got bored of farming for farming, and the infernal machine is even more boring.

However, the game hasn't been patched since I last played, so the advice is still valid. I'll probably pick it up again the next major patch or whenever I run out of other games. Diablo games are a great fallback or time killer.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Alkaizer runs are still a good baseline but there are several variations now that are better XP. The fastest I've seen is to log out with the checkpoint at the top of the stairs in Tower of the Cursed 1. Resume game, Arreat Crater 2 backwards (from checkpoint), Keep Depths 2 (from KD1 checkpoint), Rakkis Crossing (clear backwards across bridge), log out, repeat. It's terrible for loot since the run's so short you don't get NV stacks until late in the run but it's the best XP out there currently. Personally I do my own variation on Alkaizer that's a mixture of XP and loot and I also throw in Stonefort for the Keywarden. Even at low MP since you're running it so much you'll end up with tons of Act 3 keys and he's a nice loot bonus.

Also MP0 is only the most efficient if you're low on damage. You get 20% XP per MP and if you're overgeared you spend too much time running between mobs and not enough time killing. As long as you can trash everything take the highest MP that allows you to clear as fast as MP0. If almost everything still dies in 1 hit and elites are still less than 5 seconds you're good. I've been on MP1 for awhile and after some upgrades bumped it up to MP2 with noticeably improved results. It's been projected that even with the best gear in the game nothing will be efficient past MP3-MP4.

Tenks

The rule of thumb is run whatever MP you can one-shot whites. The bonus XP does not scale as much as the mob's bonus HP. So if you can run MP0 in 10 minutes for 10M XP or MP1 in 15 minutes for 11M XP it is obvious which you should do from a pure efficiency point of view.

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
Key farming can be made a lot more efficient than clearing out a couple levels in Act 3:

With 2 or 3 people, start a new MP6+ game and everyone split up and take alternating waypoints. Most waypoints have a possible elite spawn right next to them (or just to the North for crater maps), a couple you have to run a hundred yards or so to get to it, but almost every game will have 5 elite packs right at enough waypoints. If not, go to Depths 3 and backtrack, it's tiny and it's 3 elites or 2 elites + event. Then hit Stonefort, 1 player going through the fastest route to the end, the rest taking the various branches that the Keywarden can spawn at. It gets runs down to 5-10 minutes, mostly just spent killing elites or the warden.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Someone did an analysis on the d3inc forums that said once your non-killing part of a run becomes 90% of the run's overall time, you should increase the MP. I didn't care enough to check his math, but it looked legit.

This is ignoring certain (very popular)specs that require high MP just to function correctly.

Tenks

I actually find min/max running very boring and annoying so I don't really do it. I prefer to just go at my own pace and enjoy the game than stress out about losing 30 seconds like I do when I'm speed running.

Also! An update on the Rend build I was talking about above. Two changes:

Switch the WotB rune from Insanity to the one where you gain time for fury gained. Pretty much as long as there are mobiles around your WotB will stay active.

Switch out Revenge (forget what I had in the build I outlined -- maybe it was Quake) for HotA w/ Smash. Basically since you're taking so much damage you'll always be sitting at full fury. So for boss packs you basically Rend, HotA spam, Rend, HotA spam. If you are running low on Fury just cleave a few times to get to full.

Its pretty faceroll. My gear isn't great but it is bringing MP5 to it's knees.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually find min/max running very boring and annoying so I don't really do it. I prefer to just go at my own pace and enjoy the game than stress out about losing 30 seconds like I do when I'm speed running.

Also! An update on the Rend build I was talking about above. Two changes:

Switch the WotB rune from Insanity to the one where you gain time for fury gained. Pretty much as long as there are mobiles around your WotB will stay active.

Switch out Revenge (forget what I had in the build I outlined -- maybe it was Quake) for HotA w/ Smash. Basically since you're taking so much damage you'll always be sitting at full fury. So for boss packs you basically Rend, HotA spam, Rend, HotA spam. If you are running low on Fury just cleave a few times to get to full.

Its pretty faceroll. My gear isn't great but it is bringing MP5 to it's knees.
Trying out your build. I am not quite as immune as you are to damage. Sitting in the fire with chains and the arcane spinners tends to still get me killed, but I like the build. The only thing is, I have to have sprint. It just feels so slow playing the game without the ability to move between targets faster. Also, I prefer Earthquake to berserker for this build only because most of the time you have them right on top of you. I do have the 5 piece set.

Tenks

What is your crit%? If you can reliably crit with HOTA I'd suggest taking WotB instead. At higher MP's even WotB/EQ won't kill the elite pack but if you keep generating fury you can keep your WotB up forever. Basically making frozen/jailer attributes you don't care about.

And yeah you still need to move around a bit. Arcane Sentries can still kill you and to a lesser extend desecrate.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So, been out of the game for a while(last played right before the legendary changes), but since I have a complete lack of anything to do, I've decided to fire this back up. Anything new about the Monk that I should be aware of or is life on hit still king? I'm still using an old survivability build that works decent enough(I can handle up to MP3), but kill speed is pretty damn slow, even if I drop it down to MP0(a lot of that is low dex/crit/crit damage, however).