Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Had not thought of that. That makes since. Speaking of items that went way up in value, Legacy Puzzle Rings go for $$$. I will keep my Str one but sold my dex one for 89 Mil.

Has anybody ever gotten a legendary off a goblin yet? I have spawned and killed dozens of the little guys and have yet to see a legendary drop off one.
I think I've gotten 1 maybe

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The sheet dps is a good overall metric but it doesn't take into effect those orange diamond mods on gear. Your main hands weapon damage is what skills use, so having a high damage weapon when using two 1h in your main hand is what its taking into account and not the average of the 2 like your dps sheet shows. According to the monk sheet that's the highest DPS spirit builder too.

[2.0 Mechanics] Spirit Generators: Quick Ref. - Forums - Diablo III

^ Not if I want to use WoTHF because of its DPS or to use something with higher spirit gen for better dumps.
Incorrect. Almost all skills will alternate between 1H weapons if DWing. Or, will use what was swung last if it's a "channeling" skills like whirlwind. Only a few skills will use MH only. Run like the wind, bells, cyclone strike are examples of those.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Your skills scale off of your main hand (and they don't include the attack speed except when specified like say Backlash)
This is what I was going off based on the DatMODZ or whatever that monk streamers name is that did interview with the D3 dev. Is there somewhere I can look at dev posts or something concrete then? Just really started monk yesterday.

Edit: Old more confusing blue post info.Of Weapon Speed, Wizards and One-Handers - Forums - Diablo III

Can one of you monks link me a pure dps build also to try out tonight? The one im running is just my tanking spec with some ghetto changes.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wizards can't DW, so not sure how that post applies. Also, I know of at least a few skills that will scale with attack speed even if not specified. Run like the wind, whirlwind, and tempest rush will all increase tick frequency with attack speed. Backlash has to scale its weapon damage with attack speed because its trigger is independent of your actions.

I like the dps build in my sig. I'm using the FoF rune to proc Odyn Son a lot, but you might use it anyway, the dot does a ton of damage.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its the first post ive found looking which is an actual developer discussing how weapon speed and types interact with skills. I thought it was pretty interesting but I dont even know if its outdated (date is like 2011).

Do you have somewhere that monks go to post DPS / or blue posts tracked? Really looking to get good information like there is for some of the other classes. Been having a blast with my monk since making him to only tank and for sure want to try some DPS builds. People seem to be confused if you are right about how weapons work and I'd love to find something to read into it.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Are there any items that will for the most part remain viable at 70? I keep hearing to save all your Witching Hours, Mempo's, Tax Rasha, Inna's set items even when your 70.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure Lost Virtue, but I have been saving ALL my legendaries except for one or two that I know are total shit... including my legacy ones.

I got the Hallowed set plans and wanted to craft some Sceptres but then realized they will probably only be marginally better than my Thunderfury and if it doesn't scale as I level to 70, then what's the point of wasting mats? Unless I'm missing something.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Druin on the official monk forums usually posts calculations on skills and damage calculations and stuff. Personally I find doing the work yourself is more likely to net you real results if you have the time/gold/gear to do it.

Upon looking at my stats I may have out part of it. My skorn is 100% physical damage whereas my DW weapons are 100% and 24% physical/86% cold damage. So the bonus from my bracers is 15% to physical. Sooooo:

if I had 100k dps on both for example the calculations might look like this:

2hand: 100 + 100(.15) = 115k dps

DW: 100 + [50(.15) + 7.5(.15)] = 108kdps

So that's 6% dps disparity. Given my actual dps it looks more like:

2h: 144(1.15) = 165.6k dps
DW: 138 + 69(0.15) + (69*0.14)(0.15) = 138 + 10.4 + 1.4 = 149.8k dps

149.8/165.6 = 0.90%

So from all that shit I'm getting a 10% damage decrease. The problem is I used WotHF which has a physical aspect to it. Sooooo that muddies shit up even more. That combined with the fact I'm not 100% on how I'm calculating the dps (assuming 50% of the 100kdps for each one, though I know they said your hands alternate so I imagine it is fairly accurate) means... need moar theorycrafting.

Point is the 4% char sheet disparity is at least a 10% Edps disparity on a neutral (non modified) attack. I'll switch out bracers and do some more testing.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Xevy do those mods work on weapon damage types? Like you mentioned the physical bracers and the Skorn. What if it was a weapon that was arcane damage and my Wiz has 34% arcane boost and a weapon with 895 arcane damage high end, does it scale with the weapon? I would imagine it doesnt but I honestly have NFC, still scouring for official math and coming up blank.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not sure Lost Virtue, but I have been saving ALL my legendaries except for one or two that I know are total shit... including my legacy ones.

I got the Hallowed set plans and wanted to craft some Sceptres but then realized they will probably only be marginally better than my Thunderfury and if it doesn't scale as I level to 70, then what's the point of wasting mats? Unless I'm missing something.
Level 61-70 crafting will use different mats, although this raises an interesting question, will the recipe requirements scale to the level of the character? Because if so, then there's no harm doing it now unless you plan on rolling a bunch of new characters. If crafting uses same mats no matter what, better to wait and craft the legendary/set items at 70.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
I found a shitty 2h legendary (like 1300 dps, no main stat), then I saw it rolled -15 level requirement, soo, crusader yay for a little bit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah my Thunderfury rolled with a -12 level requirement which I can't wait to reroll for something better in the expansion.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
yeah my Thunderfury rolled with a -12 level requirement which I can't wait to reroll for something better in the expansion.
frown.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a Nat's hand xbow today, and it actually rolled with a socket. Not sure if there's any chance for it to be better than using a quiver though. I'm using a ruby in my Calamity now, so that would have to switch to emeralds in both weapons and I don't have two 90% emeralds to test it out with. Anyone able to tell just by looking at the items?

Svieri - Community - Diablo III

natsxbow.png

My gut feeling is that it's not worth using without the 3 pc Nat's bonus.
frown.png

Also, it would be nice if they would go ahead and fuck off with the trivially small flat xp bonuses on level 60 items.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yes. I'd highly recommend trying to read this thread. I've read it about 3 times and I think I only get 80% of it:

[Guide] - 2.0.1 Elemental Damage Explained - Forums - Diablo III

In testing news:

Tested with Thunderclap with no physical mod bracers so even field for both my weapon sets:

Azmo T2 68m hp only spamming mantra and Thunderclap spirit generator, etc etc

DW 137kdps:
2:32 seconds
0.45m dps

2h: 143kdps:
1:44 seconds
0.65m dps

5% char sheet dps change, 31% effective dps change. MIND BOGGLED!

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
The way I understand most of that is:

skill if elemental dmg. Example 400% weapon dmg as that element, if you have +10% dmg to that element it is 400% * 1.1 = 440% weapon dmg.
weapons with elemental dmg also get the bonus (for example 700-800 holy dmg is increased by the +10% holy dmg etc)
The harder thing is something about sometimes the weapons dmg (fire, holy, cold etc) can change the entire skill to that dmg type then get the bonus because of it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Get rid of Zodiac ring. Aim for a hellfire with Crit and AS/CD or a unique with same. Also look for a 1hander with 1200+ dps with a socket and throw an emerald in there for crit damage.

A lot of your shit isn't going to show up on stat sheet, but with a thundfury and some elite dmg shit you got on you should be fine. It might be your build that's lacking, but I have no experience with barbarians to tell you how to change that.

Narac:

Yeah, that's how it works for the most part. Some classes have skills (monks in particular) that have Phys damage for part and Holy/Lightning etc as a 'finishing' part of the attack. This is when shit gets weird modifiers. If the skill says 'weapon' damage then elemental modifiers DO apply on your elemental damage on your weapon.

Also there's some weird shit on legacy stuff that says "increases _____ damage for _____ skills" and new there's still "increases ______ damage". Who the fuck knows what that means exactly.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
I pretty much go for fire myself. I have LTK with the fire rune. I also have a helm that causes LTK to shoot a fireball for 378% weapon dmg. Then I have a bracer + leg weapon with +15% and +19% fire dmg. Plus I have an item with +12% to LTK.

My doll dps is like 75k, LTK can crit for 600kish fireball around 400-500k (note im recalling all this while at work).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Doesn't matter, hotfixed. Skills and +elemental% function as you would expect now. A weapon's +damage affix only affects visuals, that's it.