Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

xzi

Mouthbreather
I haven't played in a while, can you switch skills while playing without it removing the NV buff?

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
I see a lot of profiles where vitality is completely abandoned in favor of primary stat. For a monk, should I just ignore everything but +Dex, and look for it on gear?

Here's my monk:http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/S.../hero/28913734
Looking at your gear, you should be able to comfortably roll in the lower Monster Power levels, although you might sometimes have issues with your relatively low amount of Life on Hit. While on the topic of LoH, as far as I've been able to determine, once your DPS surpasses the 60k range, life leech on stuff like weapons start to win out. It might be pretty costly for you to switch your primary weapon for something with a socket and a high life leech roll, though, but there you go.

As far as Vitality goes, it completely depends on what level of Monster Power you want to play in. If you're playing in the 1-5 range, you're cool with 30k+, but even then you might experience some oneshots in MP5. Your resistances and armor stats also factor in, obviously; the higher those are, the lower hitpoints you can roll with.

In short, if you want to go the pure +DEX route and glasscannon your way to victory, you'll probably want more LoH or lifeleech on your gear/weapons, and try not to drop below 30k hitpoints.

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't played in a while, can you switch skills while playing without it removing the NV buff?
Unfortunately not, no. The only change in that regard, has been a warning popup if you attempt to switch stuff out while you have the NV buff, to alleviate accidental removal etc.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Wellp, f that.
I enjoy playing but I don't really want to spend the time farming/buying billions of gold so I can have gear on my monk to get past the last half of the 3rd act.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You can have one million gold and have enough gear to clear mp0 pretty reliably. Upgrades per piece are like 2mil each, then 8mil, then around 20mil each. There's always things you can snipe on the AH too. I'm at the 200mil+ per upgrade point and have saved up about 70mil towards the upgrade. Feels just right for a Diablo game.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I gain xp at absolutely rape speeds on mp1, I care not to ever raise the MP except for key farming/ubers... but I'm not doing that again until like paragon 80.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wellp, f that.
I enjoy playing but I don't really want to spend the time farming/buying billions of gold so I can have gear on my monk to get past the last half of the 3rd act.
Part of the patches was a BIG decrease in mob damage output in Inferno. Post your profile if you'd like an educated opinion, but if you were making it to A3 inferno before 1.0.4, you would probably faceroll the rest of the game in the same gear after the patches.

Dryst_sl

shitlord
I came back 3 weeks ago, haven't played since 1.03, all classes were 60 before I quit. I didn't think I would ever play again when I quit a few months ago, but man is the game fun again. Now my biggest problem is sticking to a single class for Paragon leveling.

If you come back and are broke i'd suggest shelling out $10 and buying 30-40mil gold on the RM AH. Generally i'm against paying real money for gear/gold, but it made the come back so much more enjoyable. With 30m worth of gear in today's market you can rape lower MP levels and do mp5-8 for Ubers.

Charles_sl

shitlord
For those of coming back and playing again:

They changed the difficulty in Inferno several times. Inferno elite packs were hard and grouping used to increase the damage that they did. That is no longer the case. After a bit they nerfed Inferno, now they implemented the Monster Power system which makes Inferno much easier than already-nerfed Inferno was. It's said that already-nerfed Inferno is around MP 3 (it ranges from 0-10), so there are 3 MP levels that are much easier than already-nerfed Inferno.

Low MP levels are the best levels to play in terms of efficiency for both experience gain and item drops. The only reason to do higher MP levels is for farming for the new uber quest.

With that information in mind, you can now complete all of Inferno and efficiently farm for exp and loot with very little gear. Mudflation due to people playing with no resets and the drop increases/item buffs has hit the game very hard, items that were high end when you were playing are now garbage and sell for very little gold. You can easily gear a character up to farming tens of millions of experience an hour for just the items and gold that you pick up while leveling.

As someone else said already, many low level items sell for a good amount of gold. If you find a low level item with main stat, vit, or sockets, then put it in your stash and sell it. Don't vendor them unless you know that they are junk. By the time you hit 60 you can easily have enough gold to start farming Inferno.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
Looking at your gear, you should be able to comfortably roll in the lower Monster Power levels, although you might sometimes have issues with your relatively low amount of Life on Hit. While on the topic of LoH, as far as I've been able to determine, once your DPS surpasses the 60k range, life leech on stuff like weapons start to win out. It might be pretty costly for you to switch your primary weapon for something with a socket and a high life leech roll, though, but there you go.

As far as Vitality goes, it completely depends on what level of Monster Power you want to play in. If you're playing in the 1-5 range, you're cool with 30k+, but even then you might experience some oneshots in MP5. Your resistances and armor stats also factor in, obviously; the higher those are, the lower hitpoints you can roll with.

In short, if you want to go the pure +DEX route and glasscannon your way to victory, you'll probably want more LoH or lifeleech on your gear/weapons, and try not to drop below 30k hitpoints.
Meh.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I've done all of my gear acquisition though through buying / selling on the AH and have yet to actually find something I can use. I've played a lot, too, so that's kinda frustrating. Knowing that there's a very small chance I'll find an actual upgrade for the character I'm playing the game with seems be my biggest disappointment with this game.

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've done all of my gear acquisition though through buying / selling on the AH and have yet to actually find something I can use. I've played a lot, too, so that's kinda frustrating. Knowing that there's a very small chance I'll find an actual upgrade for the character I'm playing the game with seems be my biggest disappointment with this game.
I hear you. In the time I've spent doing Paragon 1-45, I have yet to see a single personal upgrade drop. I realize the road to 100 is long, and that hitting 50 is supposedly a quarter of the way, but nothing burns me out on the game faster than sitting on the AH when I'd rather be slaying shit for upgrades. I've got gear that enables me to do just that well enough, but it's by no means top of the line or even hitting the level where upgrading is measured in the 100-200 million range, per slot. That's why it feels so crummy not to loot even one goddamn upgrade.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I hear you. In the time I've spent doing Paragon 1-45, I have yet to see a single personal upgrade drop. I realize the road to 100 is long, and that hitting 50 is supposedly a quarter of the way, but nothing burns me out on the game faster than sitting on the AH when I'd rather be slaying shit for upgrades. I've got gear that enables me to do just that well enough, but it's by no means top of the line or even hitting the level where upgrading is measured in the 100-200 million range, per slot. That's why it feels so crummy not to loot even one goddamn upgrade.
I agree too, the AH is the single biggest issue I have with the game. Or more specifically, being forced to use it. It would have been a great addition if it were an optional, or alternative way to get gear, but the way it is implemented and how the loot drops work there is almost no way you can play the game above lvl 10-20 just by equipping stuff you loot/craft. This, coupled with how seldom skill upgrades happen (by that I mean, you ding and go and make changes to your character, or put points in a stat or something like that, the way d2 or Torchlight 1/2 work) means that you are much less aware of actual progress in the game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Haven't played my monk since a bit after 1.4 .. I know my gear is a bit clunky. I recovered from a loss of character and gold
tongue.png
..I can't even remember what gear I have in my inventory.

How hard would it be to progress in inferno? Or at least get some farm going or something..

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/...2/hero/1133817

tongue.png

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haven't played my monk since a bit after 1.4 .. I know my gear is a bit clunky. I recovered from a loss of character and gold
tongue.png
..I can't even remember what gear I have in my inventory.

How hard would it be to progress in inferno? Or at least get some farm going or something..

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/...2/hero/1133817
The 2 things I would try to improve on your monk:

1) Get some crit chance in all the slots it is available: helm, ammy, rings, gloves, bracers

2) Replace your weapons with something with crit dmg, sockets or both

Doing that should up your DPS quite a bit. If you find your HPs aren't holding up well, you may need to boost LoH, especially if you have to give up LifeSteal on your weapon. About how much gold do you have to spend on upgrades?

tongue.png

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
It would have been a great addition if it were an optional, or alternative way to get gear, but the way it is implemented and how the loot drops work there is almost no way you can play the game above lvl 10-20 just by equipping stuff you loot/craft.
Level 10-20? That experience differs from mine. I didn't have gear limiting issues until late Hell/early Inferno on my first character and I feel like I used the AH sparingly. However, you (and the other posters) are definitely right about that AH being nearly mandatory for Inferno, especially prior to the 1.0.4/1.0.5 patches. With the upped drop rates, lowered mob dmg output and improved stat rolls, I think it would be viable farm your way up, though it would be very slow in comparison to using the AH.

As far as getting upgrades in Inferno while using the AH, they are rare. My IK chest was a drop and very lucky one at that. I also got an IK belt similar to the one I'm wearing that I used until I upgraded it for Bash dmg. I also had both of the barb set mighty weps drop with socket rolls, which is lucky as fuck. Since I wasn't using a dual wield build, they weren't upgrades but they would have been otherwise.

So let me ask a different question: if you haven't had a personal upgrade drop while doing paragon exp, have you at least had some items drop that sold for a lot on the AH (i.e. would have likely been upgrades if you were a different class)?

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
If you're on non-HC, damage just destroys everything so far it's worth the few deaths you'll take missing out on some vit.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I have about 150k to spend on upgrades I believe.

I'm updating now.. gonna go try to buy cheap decent +gold gear and farm the shit out of act 1 I think. I'm kind of excited to try 1.5

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I would honestly pick up every yellow even if you're vendoring it until upgrades you purchase are no longer in the 2mil range.

I think a full drop to the vendor is worth... 20k?

It takes time just a little time. Most people come back, farm for a day or two and throw in the towel... unless I spot them a lil $ and advice.

If you get to the point you can farm up some infernal machines, I got a group to run you through your hellfire rings, the more machines the merrier. You want to bring 3x machines per run cuz we're burned out of farming em, but if I have some on deck for some reason I'd spot ya.