Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I don't know how anyone can think this will be DOA when we all know it's going to move an extraordinary amount of units and be a better than average gaming experience.

The cynicism is unreal.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
D3 moved a lot of units and was super hyped. Within a month, everyone was sick of getting wrecked by the bees in Act II Inferno and quit. Path of Exile will be on 5.0 by the time this comes out and this game will be far behind.

The way Blizzard treated D3 is what concerns me most about the viability of this game in the long term. They have done virtually nothing to support D3 since the expansion came out. I don't think they care about Diablo aside from it being a nostalgia, legacy, big name IP they can cash in on to move boxes. I love Diablo and I hope I'm wrong.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Diablo IV looks fun, but it'll probably have awful end-game again. I've yet to play an isometric ARPG with a good end-game.

It'll be interesting to see how PoE is planning to contend with this on the 15th.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
D3 moved a lot of units and was super hyped. Within a month, everyone was sick of getting wrecked by the bees in Act II Inferno and quit. Path of Exile will be on 5.0 by the time this comes out and this game will be far behind.

The way Blizzard treated D3 is what concerns me most about the viability of this game in the long term. They have done virtually nothing to support D3 since the expansion came out. I don't think they care about Diablo aside from it being a nostalgia, legacy, big name IP they can cash in on to move boxes. I love Diablo and I hope I'm wrong.

Everyone didn't quit D3, there's still a healthy number of people playing it even as it's been moved to the classic roster of games.

After the AH was removed, difficulty and drop rates were smoothed out, the expansion and necromancer DLC were released, plenty of people picked it back up and enjoyed it for a substantial number of hours.

I'm not sure what people honestly expect from a game in order to feel like they got their money's worth and had a good time. I know as a teen and into my early 20s, me and the friends would purchase games without a clue as to whether they were good, play them for a miniscule amount of time after determining they were dogshit and move on.

Pretty much every Blizzard game rewarded us with hundreds of hours of gameplay in exchange for the purchase price (plus a subscription in WoW's case). I've never regretted shelling out $30-60 for any of their games over the years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Diablo IV looks fun, but it'll probably have awful end-game again. I've yet to play an isometric ARPG with a good end-game.

It'll be interesting to see how PoE is planning to contend with this on the 15th.

Contend with this? Contend with what?? This is the ghost of a ghost. I bet dollars to donuts they acknowledge it with a small smile, make some comment on how they look like they are trying to copy PoE, and move on.

Caliane

its more complex then that.

D3 sold more units in 1 week then PoE has in its lifetime. Blizzfan boys can't be underestimated.
That said, the retention on d3 was of course HORRIBLE. D3 launch was a shitshow, and pissed of alot of people. Many of which never came back. Lack of support. releasing a paid expac, to fix the problems of the base game. Fucking bullshit, no doubt.
And Blizzards rep has only gone down since. PR disaster after PR disaster. HS is way down, heroes of the storm nearly dead. But, nostalgia is still a huge thing. I'm sure D4 will get a ton of sales again, regardless of its quality.
We are also still years away, and have time to see how Blizzard shapes up or fucks up even more in the 2-3years before D4 is out.

GGG and PoE is the opposite. They have done nothing but GROW. But at the same time, we are talking about a very slow build up from a non-existent fan base.
again, D3 sold 6.3 million copies in 1 week. 3.5million day 1.
And Path of Exile is aging. that shit is 8 years old already. (6 from "release")
the ball is undoubtedly in GGG's court. 4.0 is either going to be a massive overhaul, that shits all over anything D4 could possibly be... or, a massive let down, as its just a minor engine update, etc...

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's the kind of reddit garbage I hope they skip. There's like 3% of the Diablo community that gives any sort of shit about offline, and mostly so they can use editors and shit. Fuck them right in their 1993 era assesholes.

i mean i get that only a small % of the audience will have unstable or sometimes no internet... but you DO remember when d3 launched it was unplayable half the time becuase the servers were a mess. there were plenty of times where MY internet was stable and strong but i'd get dc'd 3 or 4 times in a single map. and since the maps are random, you'd have to redo the whole thing everytime. there's a legitimate reason to be bothered by an always online single player game.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
its more complex then that.

D3 sold more units in 1 week then PoE has in its lifetime. Blizzfan boys can't be underestimated.
That said, the retention on d3 was of course HORRIBLE. D3 launch was a shitshow, and pissed of alot of people. Many of which never came back. Lack of support. releasing a paid expac, to fix the problems of the base game. Fucking bullshit, no doubt.
And Blizzards rep has only gone down since. PR disaster after PR disaster. HS is way down, heroes of the storm nearly dead. But, nostalgia is still a huge thing. I'm sure D4 will get a ton of sales again, regardless of its quality.
We are also still years away, and have time to see how Blizzard shapes up or fucks up even more in the 2-3years before D4 is out.

GGG and PoE is the opposite. They have done nothing but GROW. But at the same time, we are talking about a very slow build up from a non-existent fan base.
again, D3 sold 6.3 million copies in 1 week. 3.5million day 1.
And Path of Exile is aging. that shit is 8 years old already. (6 from "release")
the ball is undoubtedly in GGG's court. 4.0 is either going to be a massive overhaul, that shits all over anything D4 could possibly be... or, a massive let down, as its just a minor engine update, etc...

when d3 was announced, you could get it free if you subbed to wow for a year. how were the sales of that attributed?

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
There is a lot to like about PoE but the combat and feel of the game is total trash compared to D3.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how many "combat and feel" people have tried the game since 3.7.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Path of Exile keeps getting better. The only MTX you really need is the currency tab and some premium tabs to sell on poe.trade from. Everything else is just cosmetic. I played when it initially came out and didn't enjoy running the acts over and over again. I tried again in 3.0 and it is now an amazing game. I have played hundreds of hours of D3. Looking back, I like the complex character making decisions in PoE. There are hundreds of ways to build a character that are viable for completing content. You can trade with other players; you can actually feel wealthy in PoE. I doubt Blizzard wants to make a game as complex as PoE and I get that making your game accessible to new players is a good thing. I don't really know what I want from a D3, but I know I don't want a retread of D3 that is overly simple without anything to really do in the end game.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
PoE MTX is only expensive if you buy the fluff shit you don't actually need. I think I ended up with a shitload of stash tabs, and a few of the other tabs for less than 30$. They have sales on that kind of shit all the time too.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Whelp hype dead. Nobody at this company has a fundamental understanding of what made the old blizzard games so great. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

David Kim fucked up SC2 and now he's gonna fuck up D4. Looks like in Blizzard, when you are awful at your job, you get promoted

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why do they hate item trading so fucking much? I don't get it.

• 2Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
While I agree GGG has done a number on being the fan favorite. I'm a friend with a group of exclusive arpg players, playing everything from PoE to Grim Dawn, Last Epoch, Pagan, ect.. You name it, they've play it. They're GGG loyalists and have nothing but praise to them as developers.. The thing with them is that they only hop on during the season starts to 'race' and a non-saturated market place. They also shit on Diablo 3, whilst saying it's improved greatly and is still fun.. They log on during new seasons to grind it out and do their thing.

The thing about PoE, or atleast I find. It's the "hardcore"s arpg. It's not appeallig outside of that sphere, the complexity can be intimidating; which ive witnessed.. And the numbers seems like it keeps the same fan base going who will contiune to support it. Just looking at the steamcharts of pop, the game never really exceeds 100,000 players.. Generally averaging half of that.. I'd imagine there is another point of access that isn't relative to steam too but in 2018 they praised beating their all time high concurrent of 120k, which as all games after the polish and luster wears, it drops by half.. If not more.

I think with D3 atleast, there is only so much they can do with what they have without gutting it completely and working with what they have the best they could.. It's pretty much here's to hoping they've learned and can shit out something worth a damn. They've got a lot of referencial material to build and take from. Not going to say it's going to be great, but I wanna be hopeful.. And I'm still not sold.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Did they revamp the spell effects or something? I’ve played pretty recently I’m not sure if it was 3.7.
3.7 introduced animation canceling. You no longer need ridiculous amounts of cast or attack speed to make your character feel responsive.