Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Chris

Potato del Grande
Huh? This is by far the best story in an arpg to date. The hell battle cinematic was pretty awesome. I honestly don’t know what people expect out of a story in a game like this Jesus Christ.
Are you hyped to pay $70 for the next part of the story in 2 years time? In 2027 you can fight Diablo.

• 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still think its hilarious I can watch a guy get decapitated and all the other gore in game, but no sexualized women or nipples allowed. Only in merica.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Huh? This is by far the best story in an arpg to date. The hell battle cinematic was pretty awesome. I honestly don’t know what people expect out of a story in a game like this Jesus Christ.

It's as mediocre and phoned in as anything in last 20 years. D3 was more compelling (despite being way less dark), Grim Dawn, Wolcen hell even Titan Quest and it's crappy mid 2000s CGI had more going for it. The sole impactful story moment is the opener with Lilith being summoned which I'll admit is a really nice piece.

The hell battle was part of a trailer that released last year minus like an extra minute of a cinematic that no one on earth could possibly be invested in.

They clearly spent time and care building the world/aesthetics/tone, but then control-v'ed tons of assets and phoned in the rest of the game with forgettable characters to get to market and then sell mediocre dlcs or seasonal content.

I actually spend time reading all lore/quests etc. in every rpg or rpg adjacent game when I do my first run and for the first time in a while I wanted to just hold escape the entire time to save myself a few hours of predictable and forgettable trash.

--
The hell battle trailer for reference. Notice how it's almost exactly a match for what you saw in game? Lazy AF.

Warning for those of you who haven't beaten the game nor watched the trailer when it was announced and don't want to spoil your in game content then don't watch it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still think its hilarious I can watch a guy get decapitated and all the other gore in game, but no sexualized women or nipples allowed. Only in merica.
As a young UK heart throb once said

"There's no sex in your violence"

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's as mediocre and phoned in as anything in last 20 years. D3 was more compelling (despite being way less dark), Grim Dawn, Wolcen hell even Titan Quest and it's crappy mid 2000s CGI had more going for it. The sole impactful story moment is the opener with Lilith being summoned which I'll admit is a really nice piece.

The hell battle was part of a trailer that released last year minus like an extra minute of a cinematic that no one on earth could possibly be invested in.

They clearly spent time and care building the world/aesthetics/tone, but then control-v'ed tons of assets and phoned in the rest of the game with forgettable characters to get to market and then sell mediocre dlcs or seasonal content.

I actually spend time reading all lore/quests etc. in every rpg or rpg adjacent game when I do my first run and for the first time in a while I wanted to just hold escape the entire time to save myself a few hours of predictable and forgettable trash.

--
The hell battle trailer for reference. Notice how it's almost exactly a match for what you saw in game? Lazy AF.

Warning for those of you who haven't beaten the game nor watched the trailer when it was announced and don't want to spoil your in game content then don't watch it.

Lol it really wasnt that bad. Some amazing story or such, no. Honestly my only real complaint was the cliche nature of some of the things said or done.

And the best parts of that Hell battle cinematic was everything after that trailer ended.

To each their own, but man your dramatic hyperbole is funny.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I expect more from multi billion dollar companies with decades of experience /shrug.

Zero reason they can't bring in writers who have more than tumblr fan fiction on their resumes.

• 3Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I expect more from multi billion dollar companies with decades of experience /shrug.

Zero reason they can't bring in writers who have more than tumblr fan fiction on their resumes.
Or just get AI to do it, which is what will happen in the future. Guess the blue hairs better learn to c...oh wait that job will be taken too.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

They brought in Witcher 3 lead of story actually.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Or just get AI to do it, which is what will happen in the future. Guess the blue hairs better learn to c...oh wait that job will be taken too.

Except they brought in the #1 gaming RPG writer at the time. Some alterations were made to his story for rating/Blizzard corporate culture reasons (it was supposed to be a lot darker), but the D4 story was still created from inception by one of the top RPG narrative writers in the entire industry.

• 1Seriously?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If this is the end product of the #1 RPG writer at any time in the history of the earth then I'm glad I never completed The Witcher 3.

Like do you guys read any fantasy/sci fi? Even self published Amazon nobodies could be swapped in and no one would know the difference.

• 3Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
If this is the end product of the #1 RPG writer at any time in the history of the earth then I'm glad I never completed The Witcher 3.

Like do you guys read any fantasy/sci fi? Even self published Amazon nobodies could be swapped in and no one would know the difference.
It's still a fucking Action RPG. If you are expecting some massive overarching story then you bought the wrong game.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Can you loot other peoples treasure chests from the events?

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Except they brought in the #1 gaming RPG writer at the time. Some alterations were made to his story for rating/Blizzard corporate culture reasons (it was supposed to be a lot darker), but the D4 story was still created from inception by one of the top RPG narrative writers in the entire industry.
That's really sugar coating things. Stepien likely had a lot of freedom at CDP. At Blizzard he has to deal with shit like a fucking employee revolt trying to get him fired/make him quit by labelling him 'rape obsessed' because he dared to write a character that was a rape victim, a character that was cut from the game entirely. Anything he wrote was likely sanitized by a series of committees the second it left his his translator's hand.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Holy shit this whole post reads like some coked out PR manager. Blink twice if Bobby's in the room with you.
"Executive #1: Hey we got an IP worth potentially billions here that could really turn our fortunes around.
"Executive #2: Let's focus on making a really reliable and stable product.
"Executive #3: FUCK ALL THAT SHEEET! TAKE CHANCES! SWING FOR THE FENCES, MUTHAFUCKAAAS! MAKE IT HARD! STRIVE FOR GREATNESSSSS! SLING IT! <does double horns and passes out>"
"Executive #1: Who let Bobby into the meth before lunch?"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider

--

Stopped reading at D3 was more compelling. D3 story sucked monster balls…

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Stopped reading at D3 was more compelling. D3 story sucked monster balls…
This. D3 was absolute ass on the story front. Not that any of these games are exactly Planescape levels of good, but D4 definitely reminds me a lot more of D2 than D3 ever did.

• 1Like