Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Junior coders working on stuff is whatever. If the game design is shit the game will be shit. Turns out game design is actually really hard, much like actual product management. You need to read the room of the whole market. Understand who your target audience is and what they want. Then design a game that meets those needs.

If you don't actually play games and are more concerned with progressive ideological bullshit you wont turn out a solid game. The even bigger problem is not recognizing that the primary audience for video games is and always will be young males. The idea that you can feminize your game into exploding the female market just ignores objective reality. On top of market winds pushing everyone to mobile MTX games as opposed to traditional gaming experiences like Elden Ring. It's just a recipe for shit.

The bar is so abysmally low for expectations too..all you need is a game, appropriately priced (people would pay 100 USD if it meant 0 Micro Trans), fun mechanically (not even complex).

People can't even hit those two bars.

Diablo 4?

70 fucking dollars + Micro Trans -- Devs that get butthurt over reddit comments and twitter exchanges -- Never played their own game OR they weren't even into the game they helped make...

---

Every now and then you get a release from a dev or a dev team that's independent and it breaks records. IMMEDIATELY following, mainstream devs start shitting on that dev like it's a high school reunion. I wanna say that Blizzard devs were throwing shade at Torchlight devs because the lead for torchlight was an Ex-North employee. Happened more than just this one instance, but that was the most memorable to me.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Every now and then you get a release from a dev or a dev team that's independent and it breaks records. IMMEDIATELY following, mainstream devs start shitting on that dev like it's a high school reunion. I wanna say that Blizzard devs were throwing shade at Torchlight devs because the lead for torchlight was an Ex-North employee. Happened more than just this one instance, but that was the most memorable to me.
Im not sure what the Torch Light thing was about - I missed that one apparently. But I do know that developers across the industry have talked shit about Elden Ring and Baldurs Gate 3. Why? Because they didnt want that standard of how much content was in the game, OR, they completely miss what makes the game fun in the first place. Most of the developers complaining were, as you could probably guess, middle management in AAA studios.

I personally just think the reputation that Blizzard HAD, that they could have had the very best talent in the industry working for them. Continuing to put out fantastic games with all of their IP's. Instead, middle and upper management went the other way and decided to use their name brand recognition in the hiring pool to draw in people that will work for peanuts out of love for the brand, bringing their low skill with them. They see 40k extra for each employee of a 200 person team as 8 million, when a solid veteran team could make them an additional 30 million in sales. (example). Now that low skill, low wage mentality isnt working out too well for them when their brand recognition is in the fucking dumpster.

I personally dont hate Blizzard, it is what it is. Im just disappointed at what theyve became and thats the most disheartening fact out of all of it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
does anyone know a single fucking quest in this game? like "oh wow they wrote that quest quite well"

or was it always just see "!" talk to bitch, hold "o" (to advance) then complete the quest if you happen to be in helltide and you have to kill 100x or whatever garbage.

the worst quests are still the faggot shit where you have to wave at a statue, and since we did capstone at 62, helltides was scary as fuck and a glaring issue came up where usually the meteor showers, you'll get a red circle that appears on the ground b4 you get pwn'd but you won't see that shit when youre in one of the swampy areas

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Heard there was some big patch today...looks like no one on my bnet friends list cared lol.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This was basically just D3 but new things to buy please buy our cosmetics you fucking fans get in here and buy our blizzcon tickets to see what you can buy fuck youuuuuuuu just kidding where's that MasterCard bro

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I thought it was hilarious that the platinum you get with the Ultimate/P.Battlepass isn't quite enough to actually buy anything from the shop. Thats some shyster bullshit right there.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What baffles me more is that with the art style and visibility in-game there's no point in buying cosmetics because you can't see what you're wearing no matter what it is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What baffles me more is that with the art style and visibility in-game there's no point in buying cosmetics because you can't see what you're wearing no matter what it is.
I still believe they went with the muddy brown D2 in 3d concept and everyone on the art team was thrilled it looked grimdark, meanwhile the interns pumped out 150 random resale items and they had to zoom in the camera so you could even see anything.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Needs more activities. 2 bosses and high tier NM just isn't enough.

Adding some depth to the malignant system in the vein of POE would have went a long way though toward the endgame. I would guess that's the main reason the lead on the Season design was sacked and fired so early. It's just painfully easy to compare malignant gems to POE and decide the Season 1 designer had little to no experience in ARPG itemization.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Needs more activities. 2 bosses and high tier NM just isn't enough.

Adding some depth to the malignant system in the vein of POE would have went a long way though toward the endgame. I would guess that's the main reason the lead on the Season design was sacked and fired so early. It's just painfully easy to compare malignant gems to POE and decide the Season 1 designer had little to no experience in ARPG itemization.
They can't add too much depth because it all has to go away in 90 days.

Lmao

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone still playing after bg3 drop?
Nope. I stopped playing about a few days tfter S1 started. It got boring really quickly being There’s not much to do. Since I been playing BG3 I lost all interest in D4. I may try it one day to see the sorcerer changes.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Same, was having fun overall, but once a game with some meat on its bones got released this got binned until/if something compelling gets added. BG3 is probably going to solo tank me all the way to Starfield.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Anyone playing on PS5 couch co-op? Lanx Lanx right?

Since release, this fucking game has crashed on me and my wife every 1-2 hours or so. It's goddamn infuriating that it hasn't been fixed yet. I've tried to search the webs for what the fuck is going on, but all I get are generic IT style "try turning it off and on" type shit. Some have suggested it's overheating, but my PS5 has been used a lot since I got it, and I've played probably 40 games on it, some of them quite demanding (Elden Ring, Assassin's Creed games, etc) and not a single one has ever crashed until D4.

I'm 99.9% sure it's D4's issue, likely a memory leak, or maybe it's overheating but it would only be because D4 is coded like shit because again, no other game has done this even after 8-10 hour sessions. I'm pretty sure it only happens in couch co-op, I don't think it ever crashed on us when we were playing solo.

Goddamn frustrating, wondering if anyone else is dealing with it. I want to enjoy playing it for my wife because she's enjoying it (and I can in a brainless way despite the game's many, MANY, drawbacks), but the crashing is really starting to take its toll.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Enjoyed S1 for the most part, may revisit it as it winds down to see what season journey stuff I can actually finish, but just tinkering from time to time between other things. Between 2 group and 1 solo playthrough of BG3 in progress, Madden next week, Starfield in a month and a lot of things I'm interested in between (Techtonica, Desynced, some others)... doubt I'll be back with any regularity anytime soon.

We'll see what season 2 has to offer.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone playing on PS5 couch co-op? Lanx Lanx right?

Since release, this fucking game has crashed on me and my wife every 1-2 hours or so. It's goddamn infuriating that it hasn't been fixed yet. I've tried to search the webs for what the fuck is going on, but all I get are generic IT style "try turning it off and on" type shit. Some have suggested it's overheating, but my PS5 has been used a lot since I got it, and I've played probably 40 games on it, some of them quite demanding (Elden Ring, Assassin's Creed games, etc) and not a single one has ever crashed until D4.

I'm 99.9% sure it's D4's issue, likely a memory leak, or maybe it's overheating but it would only be because D4 is coded like shit because again, no other game has done this even after 8-10 hour sessions. I'm pretty sure it only happens in couch co-op, I don't think it ever crashed on us when we were playing solo.

Goddamn frustrating, wondering if anyone else is dealing with it. I want to enjoy playing it for my wife because she's enjoying it (and I can in a brainless way despite the game's many, MANY, drawbacks), but the crashing is really starting to take its toll.
it gets really really laggy on patch day and the weekends, last night (tuesday patch) we couldn't even do a nitemare, cuz the lag killed us, my ps5 is wired, it def ps5 co-op play issue.

you know what we did last night? we just did 4 legions and called it a night, and we still got wtf pwn'd on legions too cuz of lag

but crashing? no tbh on a weekend of 12hr days playing w/ wife, we'll get like 1 fucked up error, have to reset ps5

ps5 info
it's a late model ps5 i got this year, white, i haven't had to upgrade nvme yet and i have it horizontal in an exposed media center, w/ 2 ps5 controllers modded w/ extremerate (not that it matters)

dunno if that helps

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
it gets really really laggy on patch day and the weekends, last night (tuesday patch) we couldn't even do a nitemare, cuz the lag killed us, my ps5 is wired, it def ps5 co-op play issue.

you know what we did last night? we just did 4 legions and called it a night, and we still got wtf pwn'd on legions too cuz of lag

but crashing? no tbh on a weekend of 12hr days playing w/ wife, we'll get like 1 fucked up error, have to reset ps5

ps5 info
it's a late model ps5 i got this year, white, i haven't had to upgrade nvme yet and i have it horizontal in an exposed media center, w/ 2 ps5 controllers modded w/ extremerate (not that it matters)

dunno if that helps

That does, gives me some variables. My PS5 was purchased in early 2021, and I stand it vertical.

Still confused why it's only D4 that does this, but like I said it's entirely possible it is indeed an overheating issue just because D4's coding is garbage. Might try horizontal, and/or try cleaning out the vents.