Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Back when we were messing around with it in release season, I couldnt see a big difference in resists on gear. Having Poison resists on your gear didnt seem to really decrease how fast a poison pool would kick your ass. The next one was Paragon, and if you strip off all your Paragon resistances - poison puddle would almost one tap you at any reasonable NM level, with or without gear. Strong Elixir of Poison Resistance is 25% iirc, and without paragon resistances, and that on - it was a subtle improvement but not much.

Point is, its all fucked up. They may be calculated on the paragon pages correctly, but only additive 2.5% for a 25% elixir and probably the armor. Hell, I personally thought the armor shit wasnt being added to the calculation at all. If so, it was an additive addition of 0.25% for 25% resistance. Or, in some really fucked up dumb ass way - they were using additive values - but the max ceiling for resistances was 1000% instead of 100% with calculations.
Big fucking oversight considering that resists are like THE first line of defense in almost, if not every other ARPG ever created. ITs like the first thing you do as defense is raise your resists, hopefully to some arbitrary % cap, to survive shit like fire, poison, lightning, cold, etc....

Argarth

On the verandah
^^At this point, who cares about that shit anymore? We'll have brand new shiny stuff to complain about in just a couple of days. Patience...

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think being required to have max resists makes gearing awkward, so I understand trying to make it not matter as much and be a choice.

But then they put the stat fucking everywhere as well as being useless.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Resists are lazy bullshit stat padding. % DR like this always ends up pointless or mandatory.

They should be incentivizing different defensive stats that work better or worse on different scenarios regardless of damage type. Like dodge helping for physical attacks and things like explosions, but doing nothing for poison for example.

Make it so you can choose defense play styles.

• 2Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Resists are lazy bullshit stat padding

Resist farming / gearing has always been a form of gatekeeping content.

"Can't do X, need 150 in Y resist for it"

"Gotta go farm for 100 hours so you can do X!"

Whats the point of gatekeeping a single-player game?

Not a great comparison, because I find the mechanics of their raids to be pretty dull (Challenging content is basically Trial of the Crusader...1 room bosses), but FFXIV doesn't even use resists anymore. You either meet the overall gear requirements or you don't and if you queue as a pre-made I don't even think you need to hit the gear requirements.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Resist farming / gearing has always been a form of gatekeeping content.

"Can't do X, need 150 in Y resist for it"

"Gotta go farm for 100 hours so you can do X!"

Whats the point of gatekeeping a single-player game?

Not a great comparison, because I find the mechanics of their raids to be pretty dull (Challenging content is basically Trial of the Crusader...1 room bosses), but FFXIV doesn't even use resists anymore. You either meet the overall gear requirements or you don't and if you queue as a pre-made I don't even think you need to hit the gear requirements.
But that's kind of my point you can have basic gear level (hp) as a starting point for if you get one shot. Then you other stats should be active things for your play style but always mutually exclusive to stack to the max. It's ok for some of them to be defensive but when it gets down to just "resist all" plus whatever other stats, it's just lazy design.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Resists are worse than that. I'm sure this isn't "new" to PoE, but it's where I first encountered it. Because the game assumes you have capped your elemental resists(non-negative chaos at this point too...), not only is it lazy design, but you get "gear lock". This is where changing out one piece of gear requires rejiggering at least half your setup. And instead of fucking with that shit, people instead quit.

There are ways around this but it's bad design at its core. I'd much rather they do what they did with physical damage where the game assumes you have no physical resistance and then they dole it out very sparingly. Thus, when you change out a piece that has 4% physical resist, it might hurt, but it's nowhere near the amount of hurt that losing 25% resist would be if the cap was 75%.

The legacy of D2 is holding back this entire genre in some respects.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Farming certain maps for X unique items, farming act bosses (andy/duriel/meph/diablo/baal), cow level grinding, charms. The community effort to level together by joining public runs and the biggest issue is there's no fucking economy.
D4 is less fucking multiplayer than D2 and it's an open world mmoarpg.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The only fuck up was the presentation of the formula, as I am sure that Raxx guy and his forced/fake laughter knew.

Pretty salty for thinking it was forced/fake. It's a level of ineptness that's legitimately funny. The fact that the 40% bonus was really only giving 4% would be infuriating if I still played, but is also hilarious in hindsight

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty salty for thinking it was forced/fake. It's a level of ineptness that's legitimately funny. The fact that the 40% bonus was really only giving 4% would be infuriating if I still played, but is also hilarious in hindsight
Not salty at all, I am sure Raxx had a good laugh when this when he noticed it, but for the vid it was indeed forced and not natural at all.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not salty at all, I am sure Raxx had a good laugh when this when he noticed it, but for the vid it was indeed forced and not natural at all.

Have you ever watched Raxx? That wasn't faked. That guy does not have any "acting ability" at all.

• 1Worf

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
pre load starts at 9 and season begins at 10am PST is what I heard

• 1Solidarity

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Season 2 is gonna ROCK!

No, but seriously, I am curious if the balance changes are really heading in the right direction. Gonna roll a rogue since I never played one and see how long until I burn out. (Lasted 6 weeks on my S1 barb)

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Spoke too soon: indeed 7.02 GB Patch

Amazing DL Speed: 12-15kb/s, sometimes going up to 35kb/s. Akamai.ms anyone@Blizz?

No, not me:

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
1697560956511.png

Overloaded servers rofl.

lizard laughing GIF

• 1Worf