Disney+ Streaming Service

spronk

FPS noob
i didn't realize Hulu was so integrated on D+ already, there is a fuck ton of older content on there from Hulu from shows like shogun, futurama, justified, shit loads of anime, and a ton of movies like scarface, LA Confidential, blade runner 2049, alien, predator, on and on

i mean its obvious since they now own all of hulu but i thought it would take longer to integrate the services, especially with the R rated stuff but i guess its full steam ahead. never thought i'd see disney embrace that rating so easily.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Bob Iger Pushes Back on Marvel Fatigue, but Says Disney Quietly Canceled Movies​

Iger, speaking at a conference hosted by Morgan Stanley in San Francisco on Tuesday, was pressed about what he is doing to turn the film business around.

"You have to kill things you no longer believe in, and that's not easy in this business, because either you've gotten started, you have some sunk costs, or it's a relationship with either your employees or with the creative community," Iger said. "It's not an easy thing, but you got to make those tough calls. We've actually made those tough calls. We've not been that public about it, but we've killed a few projects already that we just didn't feel were strong enough."

Iger added that he has been "spending a lot of time with the creators, watching these films, giving detailed notes in these films, engaging in a respectful process that results in improvement."

And he pushed back on the idea of superhero or franchise fatigue, saying that it was "not an accident" that Marvel's first 33 films generated just under $30 billion at the box office.

A lot of people think it's audience fatigue, it's not audience fatigue. They want great films. And if you build it great, they will come and there are countless examples of that. Some are ours and some are others'. Oppenheimer is a perfect example of that. Just a fantastic film," Iger said. "Focus is really important. We reduced the output of Marvel, both number of films they make and the number of TV shows, and that really becomes critical, but I feel good about the team. I feel good about the IP we're making. I talked about a lot of the projects. We look years ahead, really. And it's iterative.

"Not only do you look at the films you're making, you you look at every part of that process, who the directors are, who's being cast, reading scripts, I personally watch films three to five times with the team and just create a culture of excellence and respect, which is really important with the creative community," he added. "And again, the track record speaks for itself."

On a related note, Iger also touted Disney's 2024 film slate, calling the upcoming Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes "one of the better films in the franchise," the upcoming Inside Out and Moana sequels, and also the big Marvel release of the year, Deadpool & Wolverine, which Iger predicted "will be one of the more successful Marvel movies we've had in a long time."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

they wanna push sports more onto D+ i guess, bummer for me who doesn't give a single fuck about sports/wrestling. netflix keeps raising prices to pay for the giant WWE deal they made, D+ keeps going up because of the ESPN bundling stuff

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Bob Iger Pushes Back on Marvel Fatigue, but Says Disney Quietly Canceled Movies​

Iger, speaking at a conference hosted by Morgan Stanley in San Francisco on Tuesday, was pressed about what he is doing to turn the film business around.
Iger added that he has been "spending a lot of time with the creators, watching these films, giving detailed notes in these films, engaging in a respectful process that results in improvement."

Harshaw Harshaw spronk spronk Iger direct source on essentially writing the movies himself, by himself-- with no real experience in film-making or storytelling. "Do you really believe that a CEO is doing that?" Yeah, I do, because he's been doing it since TFA and is on public record about his personal involvement in a bunch of Disney movie projects. He completely gutted ROS and threw 70% of the movie in the trash.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Harshaw Harshaw spronk spronk Iger direct source on essentially writing the movies himself, by himself-- with no real experience in film-making or storytelling. "Do you really believe that a CEO is doing that?" Yeah, I do, because he's been doing it since TFA and is on public record about his personal involvement in a bunch of Disney movie projects. He completely gutted ROS and threw 70% of the movie in the trash.
Umm ok?
Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Iger, whatever he's doing is costing Disney billions of dollars. any normal company would have fired his fucking ass along with his partner in crime Kathleen Kennedy. at Disney, these people are allowed to continue their scam.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Iger, whatever he's doing is costing Disney billions of dollars. any normal company would have fired his fucking ass along with his partner in crime Kathleen Kennedy. at Disney, these people are allowed to continue their scam.

Gets a wide berth for fixing things when he's actually micro-managing projects into the ground. Just waiting for something to come out about how he made the parks shit somehow too.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Apparently almost all of Macross will be on Disney+ soon. Finally be able to watch some stuff I haven't seen yet.

Unfortunately Harmony Gold is still being a dick, so the original Robotech won't be on there.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

Disney is curbing password sharing for its Disney+ streaming service as part of a larger effort to boost signups and revenue.

CEO Bob Iger, in a CNBC interview on Thursday, said its popular Disney+ streaming service will start cracking down on password sharing in June in some countries and more broadly in September. Although Disney+ and Disney’s other streaming services’ terms of service explicitly prevent customers from impersonating someone else by using their username or password, it hasn’t been broadly enforcing its policy.

Hulu, one of Disney’s other streaming services, began limiting how often customers can share account login information outside their households starting on March 14.

The crackdown comes as its rival Netflix has attributed a jump in signups from its recent crackdown on password sharing. Shortly after the crackdown went into effect last May, Netflix added 100,000 new accounts on the following two days, according to data from Antenna. Netflix had also achieved a more than 100% increase in sign-ups from the prior 60-day average.

A similar boost at Disney could help move the company’s streaming platform toward profitability. Disney+ continues to lose money, although the company said it expects to turn a profit soon.

“Netflix is the gold standard in streaming,” Iger said in the interview. “They’ve done a phenomenal job and a lot of different directions. I actually have very, very high regard for what they’ve accomplished. If we can only accomplish what they’ve accomplished, that would be great.”

Iger also said Disney+ has also consolidated its streaming business but didn’t elaborate on which departments or roles.

The password crackdown had been expected for months. On an earnings call with investors last year, Iger said a looming crackdown would help Disney grow.

“We certainly have established this as a real priority,” Iger said on Disney’s fiscal third-quarter earnings call. “We actually think that there’s an opportunity here to help us grow our business.”

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is Hulu or D+ even worth bundling now that they have put all the stuff from Hulu on D+?

spronk

FPS noob
good article on the money side of streaming

didn't realize disney is catching up to netflix on total number of subs, and that number should surge this year when they fuck over everyone with cutting sharing between homes. subs surged on netflix after that move and it'll probably do even better on D+ since there are likely tons of older adults and younger 20-somethings sharing a D+ sub, and disney has already said you will be able to pay for extra subs on your accounts.

money wise though disney is still losing nearly $2b a year on disney+, but you can see how the flip happens quickly if they stop putting out super expensive shows and thats already happened for a while now, we used to have a new Marvel or Star Wars show every week but its months in between and a lot of it is animated now.

With "only" 50m more subs Netflix had $7 billion in profit in 2023 (on $33 billion in revenue) which is an insane number. By comparison movies made $8.9 billion in revenue and probably under $1 billion in profit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
good article on the money side of streaming

didn't realize disney is catching up to netflix on total number of subs, and that number should surge this year when they fuck over everyone with cutting sharing between homes. subs surged on netflix after that move and it'll probably do even better on D+ since there are likely tons of older adults and younger 20-somethings sharing a D+ sub, and disney has already said you will be able to pay for extra subs on your accounts.

money wise though disney is still losing nearly $2b a year on disney+, but you can see how the flip happens quickly if they stop putting out super expensive shows and thats already happened for a while now, we used to have a new Marvel or Star Wars show every week but its months in between and a lot of it is animated now.

With "only" 50m more subs Netflix had $7 billion in profit in 2023 (on $33 billion in revenue) which is an insane number. By comparison movies made $8.9 billion in revenue and probably under $1 billion in profit.
the thing is Disney cooks their books and so they take more than one bite of the apple. if you sub and then drop D+. then sub again for another month thats two subs right there. same with bundles. if you get Hulu or ESPN, they probably count that as separate D+ subs. lots of shenanigans.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Disney Def fixes the numbers, or finds ways to word it to sound successful

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users