Divinity: Original Sin 2

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
To summarize my experience so far in a co-op game (2 players):

-You can start with 4 characters if you leave the game open and other people join and boot them afterwards. I learned this purely by mistake
-If you have 4 player made characters you cannot boot one later
-Mages still are amazing
-Melee doesn't seem bad and has a few CC options, especially hybrids, bullrush knocks enemies down
-Blind is amazing for a pbae 1 round CC
-All of the encounters I went against so far at ~6-7 quests deep were easy and only had to reload a save once after an ambush
-Sneaking is harder -- NPCs have a bigger sight view
-I like the UI in general; ground targeting overlays are slick
-You can drop most mobs and sometimes encounters in 1 round of burst, the tankier mobs really stand out after you get used to obliterating everything
-The party conversation bonuses seem to be gone
-The co-op experience is pretty much the same as the first one; everyone can venture off on their own and you can choose to listen to their conversations with NPCs and not be forced to read if you don't want to
-The graphics are pretty sweet at max
-The camera controls could stand to be a little better, especially a camera tilt.

The game seems a little simpler, or maybe more streamlined (UI) than the first game. Note: I didn't play the original game much after the first full release. I would say I enjoy the early access of this game more than the first, but the first was a much harder game early on.

Binks

Did a search, so...

Apparently it's in early access right now. I definitely liked aspects of the first one, like using the environment in combat; although, the inventory micromanagement eventually got tedious for a hoarder.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Home

Binks

Ooh, please delete this as my searching is apparently underwhelming.

Binks

Sounds like you're doing it wrong. If Alton Brown has taught me anything, don't invest in unitaskers.

Caliane

DM mode reveal.

Also, LArian is streaming a LIVE GM demo on twitch today at 7pm EST.
Featuring Matt Mercer as DM, with Dodger, Jesse cox, bikeman and stipper as players.
just started watching critical role a few weeks ago.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
This looks really good. Of course, I've been burnt by something looking good like this before with Sword Coast Legends, which plays more like a Diablo simulator than a true D&D tabletop game.

I'll have to watch the livestream later. But it looks really really good.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Larian's stuff always look great but they really need to give up on the fucking "humor" in their games. D:OS was by far the worst offender, I can't think of a single joke that wasn't straight up cringe. I don't get why they insist on ruining what would otherwise be fantastic games with such terrible writing, but the whole company seems built around the idea and I guess it is never going to change.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Larian's stuff always look great but they really need to give up on the fucking "humor" in their games. D:OS was by far the worst offender, I can't think of a single joke that wasn't straight up cringe. I don't get why they insist on ruining what would otherwise be fantastic games with such terrible writing, but the whole company seems built around the idea and I guess it is never going to change.
The KS videos and dev update videos have tons of cringeworthy humor as well, so I just assumed it was a cultural thing.

Edit: That being said, I *think* I'd prefer cringeworthy humor over what we usually get with fantasy lore where they take themselves way too seriously. I still haven't been able to get through Pillars of Eternity because of the over-the-top lore and bloated, pretentious writing. I beat Divinity:OS without breaking a sweat.

• 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I am just now about 40% of the way through the original (Enhanced Edition). I fuckin' love it, great strategy RPG. Can't wait for this...looks good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am just now about 40% of the way through the original (Enhanced Edition). I fuckin' love it, great strategy RPG. Can't wait for this...looks good.

Same here. I dropped the ball on not Kickstarting this. These games are an homage to Baldur's Gate and Ultima 7.

Only thing I'm looking more forward to in the near future is BattleTech.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Same here. I dropped the ball on not Kickstarting this. These games are an homage to Baldur's Gate and Ultima 7.

Only thing I'm looking more forward to in the near future is BattleTech.

I've heard it described as thus, BG + NWN written by Europeans.

I'm still gonna wait for the GM mode to come out and for the reviews to start rolling in, but that's only because I got burned by SCL. I agree, it does look good.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The KS videos and dev update videos have tons of cringeworthy humor as well, so I just assumed it was a cultural thing.

Edit: That being said, I *think* I'd prefer cringeworthy humor over what we usually get with fantasy lore where they take themselves way too seriously. I still haven't been able to get through Pillars of Eternity because of the over-the-top lore and bloated, pretentious writing. I beat Divinity:OS without breaking a sweat.

Or, Option C: standard dose of lore with titties. Witcher is pretty close to perfect in that regard.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Or, Option C: standard dose of lore with titties. Witcher is pretty close to perfect in that regard.
Is Witcher standard lore? There were quite a few awesome moments in the base game (haven't beaten the 2 DLC/expansions from Witcher 3 yet) that I wouldn't consider run-of-the-mill fantasy trope.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Is Witcher standard lore? There were quite a few awesome moments in the base game (haven't beaten the 2 DLC/expansions from Witcher 3 yet) that I wouldn't consider run-of-the-mill fantasy trope.
Witcher is standard lore when it comes european RPGs, especially eastern, we know medieval times were mostly terrible, but the real brilliance was the delivery and facial animation that made the characters believable. There's also very little will to sugarcoat things, girls were raped, dicks were chopped and people generally took any chance to be terrible to each other.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm still gonna wait for the GM mode to come out and for the reviews to start rolling in, but that's only because I got burned by SCL. I agree, it does look good.

GM mode is the feature I'm most excited about but it's also the hardest for a studio to implement. It's really hard to give the players a solid toolset that isn't insanely complicated and that enables you to make the kind of game you want for your players. The original NWN did it better than most other games and that was many years ago now.