Divinity: Original Sin 2

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So... Protip of the night from Uncle Ut.

When you are about to win the fight, and are down a healer, make sure you are casting haste on your friend and not the guy you are trying to kill.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Beat the game on Tactician... Depending on how you talk, the final fight can either be 'Huh. That was pretty challenging' or 'WTF HOW DO I NOT DIE INSTANTLY?!'

Arx is really, really, really unpolished compared to the rest of the game. So many quests/events that do not make any sense, lots of bugs (Hi Necrofire in walls! /wrist), and the traders do not seem to restock nearly as well as they do in Fort Joy or Reaper's Coast. My BIGGEST complaint is that the game seems capped at 18. You can continue to level past there, but all of the gear dropped by NPCs and most of it found by Lucky Charm were level 18. Which means I had to constantly visit vendors again and again to get level (22) proper gear.

Game is a solid 8.5/10. If Arx had the polish of the earlier acts, it would be a 9.5/10.

Still the best CRPG I have played since Fallout: New Vegas. And the best turn based one since BG2:ToB.

Going to take a break for a few weeks, then probably come back to try a Duo Lone Wolf run on the Ironman mode.
That's pretty disappointing to hear. Maybe they'll patch it before I make it that far. Not sure how close I am to Arx; currently level 15 and getting ready for black pits.

Raign

Golden Squire
Just had an awesome moment in game, big spoiler for Arx though:
So I used a death fog crate to kill the dwarven princess and most of her entourage (which in and of itself I thought was cool as hell) but still had to fight her turncoat adviser and some of her lackeys as they were immune to the fog. After getting them all down and feeling pretty good about myself, I walked into the next room, exploring the lab etc, clicking on things, blowing myself up -- pretty much the norm.. continue exploring the sewers a while longer before going topside to sell. Get up to the square and the whole city is dead. Only then does it dawn on me that the little valve I turned while randomly clicking on shit and exploring-- yeah.. I killed the entire city of Arx.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Raign

Golden Squire
That's pretty disappointing to hear. Maybe they'll patch it before I make it that far. Not sure how close I am to Arx; currently level 15 and getting ready for black pits.

It kind of depends on the order you did the areas in. I got to Arx at 18 with my lonewolf pairing, but I suspect you could get there much faster depending on how anal of a completionist you are. I am guessing that 18 probably about the median given I try to complete everything, but end up with a lot of quests I can't complete because I murdered the wrong people.

It was an amazing game, and I really can't wait to see what people do with the toolkit they have provided. I am already thinking about my next run through and I am rarely a person who runs a game more than once - which speaks volumes about the quality of Divinity 2, but I do agree with Rime, Arx feels considerably less polished than the game leading up to it.

The game is probably the best ever made for just giving you a fistful of tools and rich world to use them in and basically just saying 'go break it'. That said, Arx actually felt too loose - very few breadcrumbs to guide you anywhere, a fair number of buggy quests/ puzzles, and the itemization gets really out of hand both from a mud-flation and balance perspective.

Criticisms about Arx aside, it still stands as the most fun I have had out of a game in very long time and I truly hope Larian builds on this momentum to give us more.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
So, anyway...

I'm at the Lohar quest in the cave at the point where the four spiders come up and take me, I've got three of my party members saved, I just can't get to the fourth one. And that's my cleric. She's surrounded by vampiric voidwoken.

Oh yah, and screw vampiric voidwoken. I'm gonna try casting bless on them next, see if that does anything. Better freakin' kill them outright.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
So, anyway...

I'm at the Lohar quest in the cave at the point where the four spiders come up and take me, I've got three of my party members saved, I just can't get to the fourth one. And that's my cleric. She's surrounded by vampiric voidwoken.

Oh yah, and screw vampiric voidwoken. I'm gonna try casting bless on them next, see if that does anything. Better freakin' kill them outright.

If all else fails...

Fast travel or use teleporter pyramids to cheese it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK can someone tell me if there's a purging wand before the swamp that I missed somewhere? I've been pretty thorough in and around Fort Joy.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I think the only four ways to deal with shriekers in fort joy are:

1. Purging wand in the armory of braccus east of the sanctuary (4 charges)
2. Radeka's wand from the witch in the cave near the dragon (4 charges)
3. Helm of Braccus (ruined castle vault) gives the purge skill (4 uses then it loses it's power)
4. Save Slane the dragon, and he will auto-kill every shrieker on the docks when you approach

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If all else fails...

Fast travel or use teleporter pyramids to cheese it.

Well, I was actually proud of myself for getting my rogue out (DW rogues are so OP in this game) and going to save my tank and DD. What I did was sneak up to the door, had the person that was trapped inside open up the door, and then hopped out of sneak and just wrecked face. But with my cleric it's a little different. I've got two vampiric voidwoken and a cold voidwoken. My DW rogue can get something down from full health and full physical armor down to something like 1/2 hp to maybe 1/3 hp, but that's blowing adrenaline rush.

And it's still not enough because as soon as that one voidwoken gets a turn, with two hits it's automatically back at full hp.

Raign

Golden Squire
Goishen:
Just cheese it a bit with the magic pyramids. There are a shocking number of places those things can teleport / help you that even standard teleport won't help. A high strength character can throw them clear across the map lol.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Goishen:
Just cheese it a bit with the magic pyramids. There are a shocking number of places those things can teleport / help you that even standard teleport won't help. A high strength character can throw them clear across the map lol.
That one was really strange to me, because I killed all of the voidwoken and only 1 of my characters ended up being transported; the rest stayed in that main area. So I actually had to use the pyramids to even get the other 3 down into the rest of the dungeon. It was very confusing as I pretty much broke it somehow.

Caliane

spoiler tags dont work if you dont hint at what is being discussed. haha.
wreckers cave
yeah, if you kill them fast enough you can not be stolen away. CCing them also makes them drop the cocoon. I came so close to beating them entirely. but, they managed to steal away 3 members, before my rogue killed the last one. The others grabbed and ran with like 1 hit left every time. sucked.
battering ram on all chars is nice. Rogue for sure. but even casters can battering ram with a wand.

My rogue was still up top. My enchanter. (hydro/aero) was the one left surrounded by the 5 or so voidwoken. no way she could solo them all. Rogue can solo one. 2h Warrior maybe.

there are a bunch of hidden tunnels if you have some "wits" to uncover them. theres one in that room you get ambushed, to get down. or you can teleport/leap down.

I took my rogue down solo, to my summoner. Realized no way my enchanter could solo. However, also thought of the Pyramid, used that on her, to bring her to the rogue. Took that now party of 3 to get the warrior, and then cleared out the place.

For fun, I also avoided killing pretty much all the possessed dwarves. no reward for that at all.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So... Protip of the night from Uncle Ut.

When you are about to win the fight, and are down a healer, make sure you are casting haste on your friend and not the guy you are trying to kill.
Not playing 2 yet, never finished 1 so playing the EE for the first time while I wait for this to drop in price some at Christmas hopefully, but I assume it is the same in both games. After having done something very similar several times myself, I now ONLY cast buffs or heals on my team via the portraits on the side. Nothing annoys me more than having to reload a fight I had practically won because of a stupid misclick, so I feel your pain. Never click your own team on the playing field, just the portraits!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Not playing 2 yet, never finished 1 so playing the EE for the first time while I wait for this to drop in price some at Christmas hopefully, but I assume it is the same in both games. After having done something very similar several times myself, I now ONLY cast buffs or heals on my team via the portraits on the side. Nothing annoys me more than having to reload a fight I had practically won because of a stupid misclick, so I feel your pain. Never click your own team on the playing field, just the portraits!

Yeah after I did this, my three amigos in the game with me said, "Oh hey you can click the portrait".

I have done other awesome stuff too. Like set my entire team on fire as I launched a fire barrage at one bad guy left and they were all in melee range, and also ressing a guy and not knowing I could place them elsewhere in an area, right on top of another enemy and welp.... that didn't work out well either :p

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yeah after I did this, my three amigos in the game with me said, "Oh hey you can click the portrait".

I have done other awesome stuff too. Like set my entire team on fire as I launched a fire barrage at one bad guy left and they were all in melee range

Right after, "I got this! I've got the spell that's gonna save us all!"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You really want to fuck with them then steal a few things, stuff the items into your mate's inventory and laugh as the guards haul him off to jail.

• 1Like

Caliane

I have done other awesome stuff too. Like set my entire team on fire as I launched a fire barrage at one bad guy left and they were all in melee range, and also ressing a guy and not knowing I could place them elsewhere in an area, right on top of another enemy and welp.... that didn't work out well either :p
turn order portraits are probably even better for this. hovering over an enemy also highlights their turn order box, to help keep track of whos who.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, but sometimes that isn't correct. Or rather, it isn't correctly showing when a person would be free to have an action. Say I slipped on some ice? It would still show me as having a turn, although I'm still knocked out/down.

And yah Skanda. I tried that too. Stole about three books of pyro from the one lizard, he turned around and blamed Utnayan. lol

• 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yah, but sometimes that isn't correct. Or rather, it isn't correctly showing when a person would be free to have an action. Say I slipped on some ice? It would still show me as having a turn, although I'm still knocked out/down.

And yah Skanda. I tried that too. Stole about three books of pyro from the one lizard, he turned around and blamed Utnayan. lol

PS thanks for the books! :)

• 1Like