Divinity: Original Sin 2

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So just got this game last night on steam after seeing so many people mention it in the game award thread. Not had a chance to play it yet but any tips for a new player to the series?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So just got this game last night on steam after seeing so many people mention it in the game award thread. Not had a chance to play it yet but any tips for a new player to the series?

Don't stress your stat/skill distributions. You get the ability to redistribute them as much as you would like about 15 hours in.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

If you've never played it before. Start on Classic.

Would highly recommend not using a custom character. There are six characters in the game all with their own stories. You will encounter all of them, but at one point (leaving first island) you will be reduced to four (including you). They all have fairly large story lines, so using a custom character will make you miss out on 3 of them instead of 2.

Explore everywhere. There are things and sidequest everywhere. Some quests will also only activate if you talk to NPCs with a specific character.

Teleportation is great. You'll get gloves that gives the skill early on. Do not sell them. You can teleport chests and such that seem out of range for you to reach to you, as well as teleporting characters to blocked off paths.

Save often (quicksave will be stored as quicksave 1 - 4. When you're at the 4th, the next quicksave will overwrite quicksave 1)

At summoning level 10, your pet will change and increase substantially in power. The pet will change depending on the surface you summon it on. Summoning them on blood is great.

Experiment with skills and combinations.

Be prepared for a very cluttered inventory. All characters start with a bag, recommend putting that on the hotbar and putting consumables that the characters use in that. IE: Different arrows in bag for your bow user if you plan on having one of those.

Make sure everyone has health pots / res scrolls.

Undead are hurt by health pots, healed with poison. That includes poison spells / AE bombs heal them, but also AE heals hurt them.

Undead have unlimited lockpicks by using their finger. I have Fane as my rogue.

When you encounter the characters on the island, they will ask you what class you want them to be. They have their preferred one, but you can pick anything. Nothing negative happens from picking from something completely different than their default. Make the party you want.

Game is very big. 60++ hours. Probably closer to 100 to do most things.

You can respec most things at will later on in the game (20 ish hours in)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Oh and forgot.

With skills, only one character needs certain skills. Like loremaster for identifying items. When you need to identify something, the person with the highest skill in loremaster will identify the item even if it is in a bag to someone else. You'll need an identifying glass to identify things, but only ever need one.

Similar Lucky find is another skill only one character needs. Have that on your main looter and loot all crates, chests and such with that person. I like having my tank with it since they can carry more stuff. So lockpick with the rogue, but open the chest with the lucky find character. Skill got nerfed, but still good to have. More loot! (it activates on average around once every 20+ish times)

Same goes for barter. Increases gold earned when selling and reduces cost from buying. Items for sale, I transfer to the barter person and only buy/sell with that. You can right click items in your inventory and "mark for sale" and transfer them to your barter person then sell those items in bulk when trading.

Doing the above will keep you from using skill points completely unnecessary since you only need those skills on one character and spreading it out on the various characters will let you use them for more useful skills.

Make sure to increase wits regularly with one character. That skill also finds hidden items, chests and the likes in the ground (so once you find a shovel, keep it in your inventory, only need one). They also find paths, and some quests require you to find hidden paths. I think 16 wits will let you find everything in the first island.

And I always have pet pal on my main character. You can talk to any animal in this game, and while a lot is just fluff, you do need the skill to get some quests or find information on others.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you aren't playing this game on 4 man Co-Op you're seriously missing out on its genius. Solo game is just OK. Ask goishen goishen . He played the solo game, but the entertainment value of 4 man is seriously over the top.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only recommendation I have is 2 lone wolf characters (perk gives major stats for using lower party numbers). There is so much story already in the game, that even if you explore every x/y/z coordinates you will miss quests, dialogue options etc. Had a lot more fun playing out 2 quest characters good and not having to fuck with gearing 4 people and then replaying it again as more 'evil' mindset.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If you aren't playing this game on 4 man Co-Op you're seriously missing out on its genius. Solo game is just OK. Ask goishen goishen . He played the solo game, but the entertainment value of 4 man is seriously over the top.

Yah, it seriously is. Regardless if you've played it before. Find a couple'a friends and get on every night and play it. It's tons of fun.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah it's easier, but if you never played the first and are kind of new to the combat/exploration systems it's easier to get into the game before jumping into tactician/honored modes.

Ridas

Pay to play forum

Check the mods aswell. There is a mod that prevents every useable item going automatically on your skill bar. Thats a must have or you will hate your life.

I also recommend getting persuasion on your main guy. It is annoying as fuck to switch to another char to get through the persuasion checks, because you talked to a random guy on your main.

There is a 6 man party mod aswell to get more of the story of the premade chars, but even on tactician it becomes a bit easy.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Keep in mind mods disable achievements, so if thats your thing. An easy workaround for items going to your toolbar (arrows, potions etc) is use skillbar 2/3/4/5. They only auto hotbar things on the 1st row :)

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
Damn if this isn't the most fun I've had with a game in years. I absolutely hated the combat in the first installment so I'm glad they tweaked it a bit for the sequel. My only real complaint is that the game rewards a more physical approach to combat. Tactician mode can also be pretty punishing at times so I've found myself cheesing quite a few of the boss encounters. For instance, you can prevent Gwyndian (I think that's his name) from triggering the voidling spawns by teleporting Jonathan away from the platform before engaging in combat. I'm not even sure you can kill Bishop Alexander outside Fort Joy without cheesing that shit.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If by cheesing you mean grabbing a deathfog barrel, A+ would cheese again.

Others just block off the ladder and pot shot from above till they die but fuck that takes forever.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Team Fuckup has finally finished Act 1 on 4 play coop tactician mode. Whew lad. All of your are truly doing yourself a disservice in this game if you don't play it 4 man. I am telling you.

Also. Seriously this game has fights that are so unbelievably unfair it's ridiculous. Like the AI will choose to fuck you even when everything previously indicates it should try to do something different. Looking at you blue worm bastard.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Team Fuckup has finally finished Act 1 on 4 play coop tactician mode. Whew lad. All of your are truly doing yourself a disservice in this game if you don't play it 4 man. I am telling you.

Also. Seriously this game has fights that are so unbelievably unfair it's ridiculous. Like the AI will choose to fuck you even when everything previously indicates it should try to do something different. Looking at you blue worm bastard.

I felt like we won the game when we passed that encounter. I cannot even imagine that is going to be waiting for us now on that ship.

Oh and sorry @persiansoap for hitting you with that new fire spell. I really wanted to see what it would do, and I didn't think it would have nailed you within that range of the Geist :)
Not sorry that was hilarious

Everyone got me back though when I was laying there deader than a door nail on our last fight of the night for about 10 minutes when I bugged the other geist when it decided it could automatically jump and climb shit again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user