Divinity: Original Sin 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Mend Armor isn't helping? What are you being hit by? Magic damage? There are only two types of damage, physical and magic.

Plus, there are resurrect scrolls. You'd be surprised, at least I was, at how powerful Fane as a caster can become.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Fane was super sick with fire/poison

I haven't had a chance to do it but I thought he'd be cool with Demon and Torturer in combination with Fire/Poison damage. Just spew awful flaming death everywhere that you also happen to benefit from.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I replaced Fane after like 2 levels and never looked back. If i play through it again I would probably pick Fane and give him Smelly and just make sure the party has poison etc.

Only just now playing through this for first time, and I found the early game very frustrating too. It took awhile to get into a groove on the first island because every fight seemed either way too hard or way too easy. Actually i'm at least halfway through and every fight fight still feels that way except 1 or 2.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Until you hit about level 13ish (or so) every fight will feel that way. My recommendation is to stay in Act II for as long as possible (until you're at about level 16 or so) and then just play the rest of the game. It will seem easy, but after a long draft of beating your head against the wall, it'll be a breath of fresh air.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've only done one run and even with the final bits of exp from the final encounters I didn't even hit 21. Does the game just tend to cap out around there or did you guys get to 21, 22, etc?

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Until you hit about level 13ish (or so) every fight will feel that way. My recommendation is to stay in Act II for as long as possible (until you're at about level 16 or so) and then just play the rest of the game. It will seem easy, but after a long draft of beating your head against the wall, it'll be a breath of fresh air.

Just hit 16. I actually found how to cheese a lot of the fights, and seem to have found a strange bug.

Spoiler in case anyone wants to avoid serious cheese:

Teleport is OP. If I find enemies near cliffs, I block the vines or ladder with reinforced crates and teleport an enemy to me and beat the shit out of them. Rince and repeat. Sometimes the enemy will shoot the crates but it's pretty rare. They can often use flight though to still reach you but this still effectively splits most fights in half making them much easier.

I also found some enemies won't even aggro if you teleport them away. I forget his name, but he's a lvl 15 magister boss in the blackpits that was like this. He didn't aggro on teleport and he didn't even aggro when I sliced him up with my 2h character with about 12 hits. Was able to kill him without even entering combat.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You can make poison potions heal as much for fane as regular potions do with normal heroes (at least to a fairly large, 4 digit number?). If geomancy skills aren't covering it, I would hazard a guess that either you are fighting things in a way that you are under-leveled or out numbered.

What do you have him specced to do?

He's my rogue. Mainly scoundrel/warfare/Geo.

No doubt layering mend metal or magic regen is more effective than trying to heal him, but maybe they've nerfed poison pots/spells for healing. I had him drink a large poison potion that should have healed 200+ and it only healed like 60 and gave him a poisoned status.

Just thought of something.. What if I use his mask to make him human/elf in combat? Will normal heals work? Only downside there is he has to wear a shitty no stat helmet.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I assume turning him into any non-undead race also removes the downsides of being undead, since it gives you other racial benefits (lizard speak, cannibalism for elves etc).

There are debuffs that reduce healing, some that block it outright too. Never had issues with Fane either as melee or ranged on honor mode, but depending on how far you are be careful of splitting too far in multiple paths, and whether you are rolling lone wolf or not. Whenever I make a warfare character it's either full war+ranger, war+scoundrel, or war+constitution and maxed out str/cha, or dex/cha. Leave gear bonuses to build magic so you don't gimp yourself. If it's not a melee tank/2h faceraper, get stench/smelly (whatever makes you less likely to be targeted) and pickup a skill that summons a pet + have it out before you engage.

Break, for your spoiler...
Yep, you can block off almost any path. If you can't walk through it, 99% of the time the computer can't either. Good example of it is teleport/pyramid through the locked gate under the fishery and get the worms to spawn, then teleport back through and laugh as they blow themselves up. Or the front gate to the fort in Act 1, block off the ladder & you can move into LoS, shoot arrow/magic, move back in the same turn and npc's stand around. Can also gimp almost every fight with a 2h max str character, teleport (gloves or skill) as many mobs close together as you can + cast enrage (auto crit) + charge/whirlwind/whatever the knockdown warfare skill wave is, very few will be standing up, if not dead.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
I assume turning him into any non-undead race also removes the downsides of being undead, since it gives you other racial benefits (lizard speak, cannibalism for elves etc).

There are debuffs that reduce healing, some that block it outright too. Never had issues with Fane either as melee or ranged on honor mode, but depending on how far you are be careful of splitting too far in multiple paths, and whether you are rolling lone wolf or not. Whenever I make a warfare character it's either full war+ranger, war+scoundrel, or war+constitution and maxed out str/cha, or dex/cha. Leave gear bonuses to build magic so you don't gimp yourself. If it's not a melee tank/2h faceraper, get stench/smelly (whatever makes you less likely to be targeted) and pickup a skill that summons a pet + have it out before you engage.
No, even with the mask effect on Fane he is still treated as undead for healing/poison spells.

I cut out the middle-man with healing Fane by having him self-heal via points in Necromancy, the Living Armor talent to restore Magic armor when he does self-heal, and the Vampiric Hunger spell to really push his self-heal if necessary. I typically built him as a caster with a shield (for Shields Up power) that uses a mix of Geomancy/Necromancy spells. The buff to the Torturer talent in Definitive Edition to have bleeding/poison bypass armor is interesting with this build to push out extra damage. Fane, and other undead, were too much of a pain in the lower levels to play in melee unless they had the Stench trait to convince enemies to avoid them.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm giving this a shot again. I'm much more into it this time around.
Was going to try and play it on my Laptop too but damn 60 gigs! Did anyone play this on laptop and how did it go? My desktop handles it with ease of course so it's not a big deal either way.

Also: Can I play the same game saves on Desktop and Laptop if it's on Steam? It's got the little cloud icon next to it on my Library. So is that a yes?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Also: Can I play the same game saves on Desktop and Laptop if it's on Steam? It's got the little cloud icon next to it on my Library. So is that a yes?

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem at all. If you have cloud saves enabled then if you download the game on another computer it will also download your saves.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finally starting this after "finishing" Vermintide 2, which was surprisingly good.

This and POE2 on deck. Will be up late on work nights for a while. :)

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Been co-oping this with the fiancé and it’s pretty fun but we seem to just have trouble constantly running into shit that feels like we weren’t supposed to yet or random crap where we just die and can’t really find a way out of it. I feel like maybe we’re just doing shit wrong but can’t really figure out what. Also frustrating is between act 1 and 2 you lose access to folks that weren’t in your party and despite us having two of the other support characters in party with us, we lost access to everybody and I guess can only get mercs now.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
That's extremely common.

Wait until ACT II, about level 13, then the game starts to even out on the difficulty scale. I stayed in ACT II 'till about level 16-17 (ish), and breezed through (or at least until ACT IV, The Doctor) the rest of the game.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
We’re in Act II at level 11 right now so hopefully not too much longer for it to smooth out. It definitely feels like the game is intentionally trolling us sometimes (that fuckin’ scarecrow chilling just outside of town when you first land in A2, the fuck). I guess we’re slowly learning lessons though, stuff like “just don’t talk to it” and “never stand next to one another before combat” seem like good guidelines so far.

That pet pal talent is also the best damn thing in the game, IMO.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yeh, I mean... Meh. The thing is about Act II, you've gotta explore a little outside of town, then come back to town and explore the other side. Slowly expand your way towards to the top of the map. If you don't? Eish. And they don't really explain that to you at all.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
We’re in Act II at level 11 right now so hopefully not too much longer for it to smooth out. It definitely feels like the game is intentionally trolling us sometimes (that fuckin’ scarecrow chilling just outside of town when you first land in A2, the fuck). I guess we’re slowly learning lessons though, stuff like “just don’t talk to it” and “never stand next to one another before combat” seem like good guidelines so far.

That pet pal talent is also the best damn thing in the game, IMO.

The way defensive stats scale on gear and the way enemy damage scales it is in your best interest to be wearing the highest level stuff you can at each level in every slot even if you would be replacing something lower level that has more of the other stuff that you would want. If your armor and magic armor aren't where they need to be they'll get cracked in opening turn and you'll effectively be out of the fight.

Late in the game it gets really pronounced where each increase in item level is big enough to invalidate whatever you had before.