Divinity: Original Sin 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
So, a kickstarter for this went up yesterday:Divinity: Original Sin 2 by Larian Studios LLC Kickstarter
rrr_img_107516.jpg

The theme of Divinity: Original Sin 2 is how your origins affect who you are and what chances you get in life.

At the start of the game, you pick a single character and determine your starting stats, race, and origin story.

You'll be able to recruit up to three companions, each of whom is just as detailed as the character you're playing, with their own origin story and motivation to help you in your quest.

This makes it possible for each companion to become a player character in multiplayer mode; every party member is equally important to the whole.

In multiplayer, up to 4 players can play together, either cooperatively or competitively.

During competitive questing, you'll pursue different plot-lines from other players, often because your personal motivations are in conflict with those of the party.

There's no obligation to compete, of course. Many party members will manage to balance their own interests with those of the party. Should you find yourself in conflict, know that it's always possible to make up afterwards.

The important thing here is that it's you who gets to make that choice.

Like its predecessor, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a game about systems and using those systems to get your way. Before you know it, you'll be manipulating the environment, using new types of elemental interactions, and exploiting people's weaknesses to achieve your goals.

That systematic approach now also applies to the narrative. A new dialog system will give you many more options to persuade both NPCs and your companions. You'll quickly discover that nearly all dialogs in the game are different depending on who is doing the talking.

We're developing a new crafting system that provides you with good incentives to use crafting to its fullest.

Spoilered the rest for brevity
We're also introducing Skill Crafting, a new mechanic that lets you combine different skills and spells to create powerful new ones. With skill crafting, you can mix a "silence" spell with a "summon spider" spell to make a "summon stealth spider" spell. A "rain" spell combined with a "grease" spell yields a "grease rain" spell. (By the way, wet grease explodes if it comes in contact with fire. Just another elemental bang to ruin your enemy's day.) And you can mix bleeding spells like "lacerate" with a "rain" spell to summon a tempest of blood.

If you're wondering why you'd want to do that, trying taking the "leech" talent (which heals you while standing in pools of blood), and you'll be singing "It's Raining Blood" in no time.

Divinity: Original Sin's combat system was one of its most beloved features. Development on Divinity: Original Sin 2 will focus on maintaining everything that made its predecessor so much fun, while still adding new types of tactical opportunities and challenges.

In addition to new forms of elemental interaction, we'll be adding things like push/pull mechanics (so you can, for example, push somebody into a surface you created), a cover system which will benefit rangers and magicians alike, and several new gameplay mechanics, like the ability to use Source Skills.

To use Source Skills you'll need to have "Source Points," and unless you're very powerful, chances are you'll only have one at a time. There are several ways you can recharge your Source Points, and some of them are downright wicked:

Dark Sourcerers can recharge their Source Points by absorbing the bodies of the fallen or by sucking the astral energy out of the spirits around them. (Visible to the party thanks to the new "Spirit Whispering" talent). You may be tempted to start cutting down everyone you see which (just like in Divinity: Original Sin), is just as valid a way of achieving your goal as becoming the village hero.

Remember, though, that nothing free in life is truly free, and following the path of darkness will not be without its consequences...

We're planning on adding tons more skill schools, talents, abilities & spells, and we're going to be building all of this on top of everything we've been doing for the soon-to-be released Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition. That means you'll have an enormous amount of character development choices, with hundreds of skills and spells to pick from.

Expect a long list of new creatures and enemies, plenty of new environmental interactions, and a big, varied world full of interesting characters and surprises.

A more grounded and serious narrative will ensure that you'll feel invested in the world, but rest assured that we won't forget to make you smile. We have a bigger narrative team now, meant to ensure that you'll have many interesting choices to make.

We will also include an updated version of the editor that we're using to create the game. It's becoming an incredibly powerful tool and we're very eager to see what you'll come up with.

Two very different user interfaces will be supported - one for mouse & keyboard and another for controllers. If you play with controllers, you'll be able to use the same split-screen feature introduced in Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition.

Together with 4-player support, this means two couples, each on their own screen(s), could be playing online with or against each other!
I find it curious how, despite raving reviews, every mention of the game is littered with people saying they never finished it (including me). The main story seemed to take a back seat with random ideas and storylines popping out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason. I'm also curious how many people actually made use of the multiplayer, since I don't believe 40+ hours RPG makes a good game for that, but I guess there's nothing like it. Otherwise it seems like more of the same, with some systems getting a much needed polish or pruning, so I can't wait.

The base game is funded, so now let's see what kind of stretch goals they come up with, 500k in less than 24 hours is pretty good start and 30$ for a game that is this long is always a pretty good deal.

They could also release the enhanced edition already ><

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, a kickstarter for this went up yesterday:Divinity: Original Sin 2 by Larian Studios LLC Kickstarter
rrr_img_107516.jpg

I find it curious how, despite raving reviews, every mention of the game is littered with people saying they never finished it (including me). The main story seemed to take a back seat with random ideas and storylines popping out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason. I'm also curious how many people actually made use of the multiplayer, since I don't believe 40+ hours RPG makes a good game for that, but I guess there's nothing like it. Otherwise it seems like more of the same, with some systems getting a much needed polish or pruning, so I can't wait.

The base game is funded, so now let's see what kind of stretch goals they come up with, 500k in less than 24 hours is pretty good start and 30$ for a game that is this long is always a pretty good deal.

They could also release the enhanced edition already ><

A few of us rerolled like to play single players in teamspeak when not MMOing. I think out of our little group I was the only one who finished it. Steam says 80 hours not counting my offline hours with at least another 25 hours. What I did towards the end was rush because I felt like I needed to finish it. I missed a few quest items and the game actually let me beat down this door to skip hours of questing. I thought that was bad ass. It let me play how I wanted to play.

The game will be a instant buy. I loved doing the teleport bug where you slam mobs into rocks for the instagib.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On completion, I think it's fairly similar to Skyrim, where a lot of people played the game for a while but never finished the main story, cause they get distracted by sidequests and random shit and eventually lose interest before they finish the main game. On top of that, the main story in Divinity was fairly shit and poorly paced, so that didn't help. There's also all the people who quit early on because the game was "too hard", because they went the wrong way out of the city and for some reason expected that they should be able to clear everything regardless, too used to the modern handholding shit instead of the more open world non scaled systems.

Overall I think it was a pretty good game even though it suffered from poor story and lack of balance later in the game(damage far outpaces mob's health so you eventually one shot everything which makes the whole tactical aspect of the combat system a complete non factor).

I backed this with the reduced price minimum thing, might as well, I doubt the game will go cheaper even if they do early access sales and shit, so a good investment and I'd buy the game anyway. Looking forward to replaying the game with Enhanced edition when that comes, I believe it's more or less ready and they're doing QA, I think it's coming soonish, I forgot if they gave an actual date(I remember talking about it in the other thread but forgot what I said and too lazy to go find it). The great thing about the Enhanced edition is they'll probably reuse a lot of the stuff for Divinity 2(including after feedback once they release it), so the game should play a lot better than the first one originally did, in terms of UI and content and shit. So should be pretty nice.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh and a fairly long gameplay video, Angry Joe stuff so if you hate him mute or whatever. Game looks fairly similar to first one but a lot of changes in combat mechanics and stuff:

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
OS was my game of the year easily.
I did finish it. played solo. (forever alone.. game is made for couples)
only one playthrough iirc.

honestly haven't even finished Pillars of Eternity, Lords of xulima, Sunless sea, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Aarklash, Grimrock2..

yes, OS's first 10-20 hours was by far the most compelling. Both mechanically, and storywise. the starting town is far more tightly knit. Later zones have much more single run by any given area, with a single quest objective. Late game then you just go do things, far less thinking. and by late game you have fully broken the combat system and make the game too easy. Larien games have always been a bit silly. so that didn't bother me a bit. Found the story more interesting then Pillars. Pillars has good dialogue. but overall plot is kindof meh at best.

a strong focus on systematic gameplay
Like its predecessor, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a game about systems and using those systems to get your way.
They know exactly why the first was good.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played and finished the first totally in coop mode with a friend.

This should be the same, it was overall a pretty awesome game.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I'm considering pledging for the Original Sin pack to get the Enhanced Edition (since I wanted to buy the first one anyway), but I've never done a kickstarter before - would I get DOS:EE when it releases, or would I have to wait until Dec 2016 when it says?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I usually avoid KS games but D:OS is probably the best CRPG to come out since BG2. So they've earned my trust. Plus D:OS had a ton of stretch goals met so may as well try and meet them for the 2nd.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Still waiting for the original to have a decent sale
smile.png
Same. My wishlist has been growing with very little coming off it recently. I know Steam has to get the publisher's permission for a sale price, but it seems a lot of games aren't budging on lowering the price years after release. I'm looking at you, Kerbal.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm considering pledging for the Original Sin pack to get the Enhanced Edition (since I wanted to buy the first one anyway), but I've never done a kickstarter before - would I get DOS:EE when it releases, or would I have to wait until Dec 2016 when it says?
I think you should get it when it becomes available, they rarely hold back KS rewards.

Just checked, I paid 36,99 EUR for the game at release, so the 30$ on KS is definitely worth it, especially with an established track record.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Got the original when it first came out and powered through roughly 2/3rds of the game. Says 68 hours played, so probably 55 hours into one save. Ditto what others have said regarding it being most interesting at first, then later it becomes a bit more disjointed. Never finished it (not sure why), but will restart it once the enhanced edition comes out.

Main issues when I played was a massive cluttered inventory due to a intricate crafting system that I rarely used or felt the need to. Really liked it though, and sequel is instant buy status based on the first game.

Tenks

Main issues when I played was a massive cluttered inventory due to a intricate crafting system that I rarely used or felt the need to.
Yeah the crafting system was something that was cool in theory but I never actually used in practice

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The crafting was insanely powerful if you abused it though, you could craft retarded weapons and then one shot everything in the game including the last boss. But yeah inventory management was a pain often, and the randomized gear was boring and shit and annoying to sort through plus you kinda needed to keep alternate sets of gear with like +perception or whatever when you needed those checks if you didn't have them or +lockpicking or stealthing or whatever. Hopefully they clear this stuff up a decent bit.

One interesting bit in the video I linked which I only quickly looked at jumping around is that it seems like there's some sort of personnal quests in coop now, where say your character might have a quest that isn't revealed to the other players. Example they gave was that the dwarf guy was actually an assassin and has a mark to kill, but no one else was made privvy of that information, it was like a note in your inventory, and you can keep that secret then do your own stuff which might conflict with the others and stuff. Sounded pretty interesting. I don't know if you can generate those randomly or if it's only for people playing companions though(in which case it's not nearly as interesting since that's just companion backstory).

Anyway looking forward to this and EE for the first one. And Pillars of Eternity which I haven't touched yet, and Tides of Numera and other shit like that. So many games.

Tenks

Don't forget Wasteland2 as well. I for some reason stopped playing it but the game was great for the few hours I did.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Don't forget Wasteland2 as well. I for some reason stopped playing it but the game was great for the few hours I did.
Ah yeah I got the game in a bundle with... something else, honestly I forgot what, haven't installed it yet. Or claimed the key. Hell I don't even know if I ever got the key I should check at some point.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
You won't regret playing Wasteland 2 - the next time you get an CRPG itch make it be that game.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To me it felt basically like a puzzle game with a really coy asshole community, with some rpg elements and cool battles here and there on the side. I'll probably still buy 2 anyway.

Rime

<Donor>
Do not bother with Wasteland 2 yet, unless you absolutely have to play a game right now. Wait for the upgraded engine version due out in October.