Divinity: Original Sin 2

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You'll be happy to hear that the release version was only available for download a few hours ago.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Nice that they let you choose companion classes this time around. Don't have to worry about turning down that one companion you like just because their class overlaps.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Farewell my weekend I hardly knew thee.

Also <3 Steam for remote install from browser.

• 1Like
on the other hand. its also funnier when you catastrophically fuck up, due to overlooking various interactions.

A game designed for pure tactical play, especially pvp its best to have clear and upfront descriptions of what a play will do. A TCG. or, x-com for the more direct comparison.
A game like this, while a very tactical game, is more along the lines of a rimworld, dwarffortress, imho. Wherein its so many systems overlapping, the intent is a bit of a chaos. and that will spawn fun emergent gameplay, and stories.
Its a similar thought to the "open the gm mode, and read all the skills, etc." it was VERY easy to break the game in D:OS, with op skill combos. it will probably be so here as well. but the FUN, is finding those combos on your own through curiosity, and experiments. Not, just reading them on a skillguide.

also, got my 24 in PoE. might dive right into this.

I think you described the genius of this "engine" exactly. How the hell do they do it??? As you say, *of course* one can design a game breaking char set. But the real fun is just diving in, and the game seems to reward that with odd advantages, or aa you exactly put it, " fun emergent gameplay".

Downloading tonight, or I might do a replay of OS first to get into the groove ;)

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played it for about 3 hours (tactician)
+ Love that I can pick what class the followers are

- Dislike some of the classes trait allocations, a lot of them seem to start with barter.

+ The followers seem to have a larger impact on the story. Playing a custom conjurer. So far I think my party will be red prince (two hand fighter), elf (rogue and need the eat flesh skill) and crazy lady who hears voices (cleric).

+ Already early on the island the follower characters and stories seem to have a fairly big impact on the world around you. No rock paper scissor, just "hey, let me talk to that guy" "ok?" "STAB" ... I think several people have died already that maybe didn't have to.

- I don't like that can't use them all :(

+ Better stat system. Quite a few merged stats.

+ Combat is great and seem to have a much more focus on using the environment. Even skills that gets boosts from higher ground.

+ and -? Pet pal is just as useful (used for several early on quests, so figure it will be throughout the game), and now you also need the elf flesh eating skill. Fun addition to the game that gives more lore (and can give quest info), but kind of forces you to have an elf in the party since it is a racial skill.

- Inventory still somewhat of a mess

That all said, overall experience from my first few hours is fantastic. Glad it is Friday tomorrow.

Caliane

Note to self. Figure out how to kill Dallis and friends on the first encounter.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
well this is fun. just killed 4 hours no problem

Same was playing with a friend, very very fun. Dialogue is great (had a few fights happen because of it lol), combat is fun and a challenge so far early on (good number of deaths so far but no loss battles)

I need to find a full 4 man group.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

On elves, they don't add THAT much so far. A lot of time it's pointless shit, a few were useful for some quests that could have been resolved a different way anyway. Main advantage is you'll sometimes get skills from it for free, which well, is free. The first body you find on the boat gives you Adrenaline for example which is neat, but those aren't that common either. I ate a lot of bodies so far and not much was useful.

Also on Pet Pal, Ifan and Lohse start with Pet Pal for free, not sure if any other(I haven't tested Fane, Beast and I played as Sebille). Just use a preset that's not Wayfarer(built in pet pal so you get fucked out of a talent). I assume it's intended for Ifan, since it was in the EA, but Lohse is new, gives you more choices that have free pet pal I guess.

Been playing but progressing slow as fuck cause I HAVE TO loot everything and talk to everyone and pickpocket everything I can and make sure I'm not missing anything, so shit's been slow, especially since I didn't play the EA so I'm still discovering most of that stuff. Some of the early fights are way more challenging than the stuff in the original, hell I'd say a lot of fights are more challenging than EE tactician mode. Large part due to the CC changes. In EE/D:OS1, you had that OP geo spell that was a ranged knockdown with low cd/cost, the Man-at-Arms fist thing that was the same, Bull's Rush, Freeze(both a touch one and a ranged one a bit later), Teleport and so on, so it was really easy to knockdown stuff but here, not quite as much since you first have to pop their armors(and mini boss type mobs have fairly large armor values). That's why I'm using Chicken Touch atm, it's surprisingly effective and reliable unlike most other CC(although the enemy runs around a bit so it's not perfect).

And yeah origins have a fairly large impact on stuff. Also they sometimes step on each other's feet. I killed one guy for my MC then remembered the Red Prince wanted to talk to that guy so had to reload, get the Red Prince his info, then kill the fuck. Worked fine in that order although the Red Prince wasn't very happy. I assume there will be more stuff like that later down the road especially with what I learned. The characters are all more interesting than most of the shit from the first game too so that's nice.

Caliane

I cant decide party members atm.

I went custom, Enchanter. Hydro-Air. heavy on hydro. so I am the healing mostly.
I want, Ifan, Beast, Sebille, AND Lohse.. Wouldnt mind Fane either. but already need to cut one.
Sebille and Ifan I think are the two in line.
Ifan-fighter, Beast-knight, Sebille-rogue, Lohse-summoner.
atm, sebille as my rogue, is my only lockpick, etc. ifan vs beast as front line is the obvious. as actual combat, all three melee I think are a bit interchangeable.

Playing tactician.

Also, that cat vanished on me.. Need to figure out where he went..
note I specifically reloaded after he was killed by that gaurd, where Ifan strongarms the magister for info. bannon iirc. so, it wasnt there.

Is there a far sight spell, to replace sneaking for scouting?

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I originally wanted to go custom but since I was making an elf female rogue anyway I just went with Sebille. I think you could just play Lohse as enchantress(it's her default class) and be fine like that. I was planning on using Fane as my damage mage but in the end switched him for Ifan instead, I didn't like the idea of having to deal with all the undead bullshit, shit looks annoying.

I went Sebille rogue(MC), Red prince tank, Lohse air/water mage support and Ifan fire/earth damage mage. Other than Ifan interestingly, that's pretty much their basic roles. I did edit the presets some cause all of them have stupid Bartering or Loremaster and I didn't want this crap though, I changed Red Prince to have Lucky Charm(gonna be opening all my boxes with it maxed, tank first seems good for traps and such too, although I wish I could give him a bunch of wits but seems crippling stats wise), Lohse to have int/wits instead of int/con(she'll be my wits char since she's support) and my wizard preset for Ifan to have Persuasion instead of Loremaster, so he has Persuasion/bartering from being a human, he does all the trading and shit. The basic presets aren't too bad, but it's still kinda annoying.

Also regret putting a point into Sneaking instead of Thievery on my main, Sneaking doesn't do all that much but more pickpocket weight/value limit would let me steal more stuff. Can fix sneaking later. That said I already have like 3k gold and I'm not even done with Fort Joy and I have most of the books I wanted already, you can't steal that much stuff anymore but you do get a fair amount of gold as quest rewards/drops and stuff it seems.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As someone who never played the first game, this thing is WAY more complicated and overwhelming than I could have imagined. Almost cripplingly so.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My biggest issue is unintentional collateral damage. My fighter threw his shield at a bad guy, and the thing bounced ALL over the place, resulting in several fire barrels erupting like napalm all over my party

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users