Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

The combat is great but I'm really bored of the dialogue and quest dynamics. It's all so overwhelmingly clich? and steeped in awful rock-paper-scissors bullshit. The combat, skill mechanics and general hands-on features of the game are surprisingly awesome but I seriously find it a chore anytime I have to talk to an NPC because it's always so painfully stupid and/or designed in a way that essentially forces you to savescum if you want your story progression to make even a little bit of sense.

The actual dialogue and "script" of this game is cringeworthy and often doesn't even come close to matching the options you pick during the conversation, nor does the game provide a reasonable variety of options. For instance, when you have to go and do a quest in a certain mine and happen to destroy the whole thing -- upon returning to the quest guy, the only dialogue option related to the quest is something vague like "About those mines..." which promptly makes your character admit to everything and causes the guy to flip his shit. In most cases it'll then shove you into rock-paper-scissors mode to determine whether the NPC will completely forgive you or try to murder you on the spot.

Also dumb shit like the mini-dialogue that always comes up if you initiate a conversation with a companion selected or with your weapon drawn, which serves no purpose and never has any alternate outcomes other than hitting the 'end conversation' key and clicking on the NPC again. It actually says something of the strength of the game's combat and world design that it's such a good game despite how abject the story and NPC interaction is.
Never bothered me to hit 1 and tab then initiate the conversation again. Also if you actually paid attention to the questline of Lawrence , the dude that goes apeshit for you destroying the mines...you would get why he goes apeshit cause you fucked up his operation. I mean the guy didnt give a fuck that he was sending in people to certain death just for a profit , and when you take that profit away he goes nuts hehe. I liked the quest although his outcome in my game was very different and much more awesome.

Caliane

Never bothered me to hit 1 and tab then initiate the conversation again. Also if you actually paid attention to the questline of Lawrence , the dude that goes apeshit for you destroying the mines...you would get why he goes apeshit cause you fucked up his operation. I mean the guy didnt give a fuck that he was sending in people to certain death just for a profit , and when you take that profit away he goes nuts hehe. I liked the quest although his outcome in my game was very different and much more awesome.
Hrm. Can you reverse pickpocket? haven't tried that yet..

how DOES poisoned food work?
What if I trade a tenebruim item to someone? do they get rot?

... I think I am going to have to try assassinating some people tonight..

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just going to do my fifth and hopefully last restart. I think I know enough now to develop my characters the way I want them.
Out of curiousity, what did you end up going with? I've restarted several times as well, but still have not come up with a pair of main characters I'm entirely happy with (latest: all-schools support wizard + ranger with a tiny bit of scoundrel for invis). I'm trying to work around the two voiced companions, while using a gimp hireling for crafting and blacksmithing. Only restrictions I've placed on myself are no Leech and no Blind. That shit's just way too overpowered to be fun.

Caliane

Hrm. Can you reverse pickpocket? haven't tried that yet..

how DOES poisoned food work?
What if I trade a tenebruim item to someone? do they get rot?

... I think I am going to have to try assassinating some people tonight..
lame none of this seemed to work.

reverse pickpocketed poisoned bread and a tenebruim item to a friendly npc. nothing seemed to have happened.

Did not try to see if hostile npcs will pick up poisoned food in combat, but friendly did not.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Out of curiousity, what did you end up going with? I've restarted several times as well, but still have not come up with a pair of main characters I'm entirely happy with (latest: all-schools support wizard + ranger with a tiny bit of scoundrel for invis). I'm trying to work around the two voiced companions, while using a gimp hireling for crafting and blacksmithing. Only restrictions I've placed on myself are no Leech and no Blind. That shit's just way too overpowered to be fun.
I restarted a bunch of times as well. My latest attempt, which I am really liking and is designed to work with Jahan and Madora is as follows:
Wizard
Attributes:
+3 int, +1 con, +1 speed
Abilities:
+1 Geomancy
+1 Hydromancy
+1 Pyrokinetic
+1 Leadership
+1 Telekinesis
Talents:
Far Out Man
Pet Pal
Skills:
Flare
Minor Heal
Summon Pet

Spellblade
Attributes:
+2 Dex, +2 int, +1 Speed
Abilities:
+1 Single handed
+1 Body Builder
+1 Scoundrel
+1 Witchcraft
+1 Sneak
Talents:
Backstabber
Guerilla
Skills:
Fast Track
Walk In Shadows
Oath of Desecration

The Wizard covers the schools that Jahan doesn't have, plus provides additional healing. The Spellblade is basically a backstab machine that can buff/debuff. Being able to stack backstab, guerilla, and oath of desecration is pretty op. I plan on bashing open locks and don't really care about pick pocketing too much. Having Pet Pal opens up a few more quests. I should have every skill group except marksmanship covered. I plan on keeping a bow available to switch to for the spellblade to take advantage of all of the special arrow types.

As for traits, the wizard is essentially doing all of the left hand traits, and the spellblade is doing the right hand ones. Wizard will be the main crafter, Jahan will do any blacksmithing. Spellblade will be opening all of the chests.

Main strategy in combat will be to throw out a ton of CC and summons to mitigate damage and then let the rogue and madora murder everything. I like the idea of putting witchcraft on the rogue as it ensures that everyone should have something useful to cast or do every round.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Im about 6 hours in - i finally left the city to find this spot on the beach to kill this murderous ho and i somehow ended up running into a nest of mines which obliterated me
tongue.png

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I didn't want to start all over so I've been branching out with my class skills now that I'm becoming more familiar with the game. Started with a cleric (I was dumb and thought only they got a heal spell to start hah) and rogue. Since then I've added witchcraft to my rogue so he can self cast the 50% damage bonus buff and geomancer to my cleric so she can summon a spider. For my companions I've added pyro and witchcraft to the mage and nothing new for the knight.

So, how badly have I gimped myself down the road? Right now they are doing quite well at level 5 but I'm worried that I'm making a bunch of jack-of-all-trade characters that will be well rounded but weak as I get further along.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't want to start all over so I've been branching out with my class skills now that I'm becoming more familiar with the game. Started with a cleric (I was dumb and thought only they got a heal spell to start hah) and rogue. Since then I've added witchcraft to my rogue so he can self cast the 50% damage bonus buff and geomancer to my cleric so she can summon a spider. For my companions I've added pyro and witchcraft to the mage and nothing new for the knight.

So, how badly have I gimped myself down the road? Right now they are doing quite well at level 5 but I'm worried that I'm making a bunch of jack-of-all-trade characters that will be well rounded but weak as I get further along.
For casters, what I've found is pumping everything into Int & grabbing the half hp for double AP regen is all you need. Never really had an issue with limited skill multi-tree's, I think my Jahan around 11-12 had 3 different level 2-3 tree's and was melting face left and right each turn + cc. For melee dps, get a secondary that supplements (like witchcraft for the buff) but I wouldn't branch out that far. Haven't been too far into the second map so far but that's my experience.

Also, to whomever posted the run speed mod, holy jesus that makes the game so much more playable. No change in combat but I can move everywhere faster.

Raign

Golden Squire

Your fine actually. It takes a lot to gimp a character because so many skills and talents are viable (even the low level abilities often see a lot of use at high level play). Later you can respec if you are not happy and you can buy ability point and attribute points for money (though not at all cheap) so you can reshape to your likingonce you have a better sense of the game.

When you get into the second map you will very likely hit the point cap for your primary attribute anyway so a points elsewhere (e.g. I took my rogue to 10 str to open up dragon scale and some other armor types for her) will not hurt you.

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do those with rogues use shields in the offhand? I haven't come across any other item for this slot and it seems like a wasted slot if I don't put something in strength to use a shield.

Caliane

no. shields and 1 handed weapons not daggers seem kindof pointless. I don't know any real builds that use them.

with daggers, dagger/shield=1 attack/round. but dagger alone=2 attacks. i assume that is true with other 1 handed weapons too.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
no. shields and 1 handed weapons not daggers seem kindof pointless. I don't know any real builds that use them.

with daggers, dagger/shield=1 attack/round. but dagger alone=2 attacks. i assume that is true with other 1 handed weapons too.
Can you do rapier main hand and dagger off hand?

Caliane

its already had 20% off at gmg and steam summer sales. but atm, not sure of any.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Great little game. Amazing considering kickstarter.

Few critiques.

Alt pressing. Bit annoying at times. Wish there was a toggle in game.

Healing after fights. I wish there was a rest option. Its not like fights are surprising you in any fashion so once you win you win and heal up. Just tedious at times early on to do so and there is no real danger while doing so. I much prefer a rest function and the occasional ambush from resting.

LOS. Holy shit LOS issues are fairly common and can be a PIA depending on terrain.

Don't change my fucking selected character. I don't care if the dude is "talking" to my main character all the way in the very back while my tank is sitting in your face. When the dialogue ends I should have the character I selected prior still selected. That little glitch has fucked me on quite a few occasions as I set up placement prior to the fight.

Same with the little bit of delay you sometimes get at the end of your turn. I've hit space a few times thinking I had 1ap left and needed to end the turn only to have it be a slow down in the game which ends up skipping the next characters turn.