Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Grimsark

They answer the max player question here... (~20:00)

OMG... I can't believe my heart skipped a beat when he pulled out that slope tool...
tongue.png

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Another tip worth mentioning, Lone Wolf is far and away the best talent for your two main guys. Using it will remove getting henchmen, but it makes your duo extremely powerful, especially in a dual caster scenario.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Another tip worth mentioning, Lone Wolf is far and away the best talent for your two main guys. Using it will remove getting henchmen, but it makes your duo extremely powerful, especially in a dual caster scenario.
It also has an effect on companions not just henchmen right?

Since there are currently two (more added later) companions wouldn't that limit the games story too? Since companions (not henchmen) are fully fleshed out characters with backstories and sidequests.

I am planning on going ranger / wizard, then add to the group with the companions. Want to experience as much as I can the first time around as I highly doubt I will replay the game for a long time due to its linearity + length.

EDIT: edited out the classes of the companions as they might be considered spoilers.

Caliane

They answer the max player question here... (~20:00)

OMG... I can't believe my heart skipped a beat when he pulled out that slope tool...
tongue.png
And to just type it out. for those that don't want to watch...

Yes. Main campaign is 2 players by default.
Modding tools allow more. (he was NOT entirely clear on how many.)
He said, paraphrased "yes, 4player. maybe more. 8? we have not tested it. Exactly how many don't know. Not 100 or anything. so 4 or 6. We'll have to see post launch with you making mods, and us testing.
One of our first mod tests was making the main campaign 4 player. It was however, not balanced for that at all"

I do wonder if nwn 32-64 man perma servers will be a thing here.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
And to just type it out. for those that don't want to watch...

Yes. Main campaign is 2 players by default.
Modding tools allow more. (he was NOT entirely clear on how many.)
He said, paraphrased "yes, 4player. maybe more. 8? we have not tested it. Exactly how many don't know. Not 100 or anything. so 4 or 6. We'll have to see post launch with you making mods, and us testing.
One of our first mod tests was making the main campaign 4 player. It was however, not balanced for that at all"

I do wonder if nwn 32-64 man perma servers will be a thing here.
Large scale NWN? <drool!>

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
It also has an effect on companions not just henchmen right?

Since there are currently two (more added later) companions wouldn't that limit the games story too? Since companions (not henchmen) are fully fleshed out characters with backstories and sidequests.

I am planning on going ranger / wizard, then add to the group with the companions. Want to experience as much as I can the first time around as I highly doubt I will replay the game for a long time due to its linearity + length.

EDIT: edited out the classes of the companions as they might be considered spoilers.
It's just henchmen you can't get, you still have your two main dudes. There's no effect on companions at all. The character(s) who have it get way more hp to start and extra ability points & talent points to spend on leveling.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
It's just henchmen you can't get, you still have your two main dudes. There's no effect on companions at all. The character(s) who have it get way more hp to start and extra ability points & talent points to spend on leveling.
Just did a test on this, started a new game, picked lone wolf on both, and ran to the city. It does effect companions.

In the game there are the two main characters, Roderic and Scarlett. Each of those can have one companion.

There are two named companions in the game so far. Madora and Jahan. Similarly to games like Baldurs Gate and such, Madora and Jahan both have full backstories and side quests tied to them. There will be more named NPC companions like these patched in later.

In addition to those, you can hire henchmen in case you want different classes to accompany you other than what Madora and Jahan are. These however are the generic mercenaries without any stories tied to them.

However, if you pick the Lone wolf perk, it fills up the companion slot for the main character. So picking it on both will mean you can never (unless you can remove it somehow later) do any of the quest lines or story tied to Madora or Jahan, or any of the other named companions patched in later. When picking the lone wolf perk on both characters, when talking to Madora or Jahan, they just reply with something like "You seem to be full up on companions at the moment".

So for me, I am not touching that lone wolf perk as it will remove story lines / quests, not just the ability to hire nameless henchmen.

EDIT: Also, this might be something patched in the final version, but as of now, when you discover a waypoint, you get the explore exp for it, but it doesn't activate unless you click on it. In the first city, you can end up being transported to a portal area, that will be impossible to get out of unless you have activated a portal before you get there. Have to reload an old save if you don't do it. So, when you get to a new waypoint portal, take the two seconds to actually run up to it and click it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Small gripe but...I wish the character portraits matched your character better.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
Is the turn based combat real time/pause button or true turned based? As in balders gate style vs dark sun old school style?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
True turn based - it's not got an obvious hex grid or anything, but otherwise very similar to Fallout 1-2 style. (You have X action points, movement takes 1 per space other actions take varying amounts, some AP can be carried between turns if unused)

Grimsark

Large scale NWN? <drool!>
Remember that Co-Op doesn't mean true multi-player.

The possibility depends on the amount of customization that the Scripting and GUI API allows.

If the default character creation screen is nothing more than a normal in-game map & camera, with custom scripts & GUI, then the primary limitation on the number of players would be their net code and the utility of the API.

I have not seen how dependent the dialogue scripting is on the single party leader (GetPartyLeader(), etc... ). If the single player experience is any indication then the story/quest system may not support the collecting of more than a single leader for ALL in game dialogue. Which means the actions of every player effects the status of every other characters story/quest lines. This would be a complete cluster fuck given more than a small hand full of players.

I don't mean to be a buzz kill. ;\
I could be wrong.

Grimsark

I think I am in love with this game.

I've put 25 hours into it over the last 3 days and I have YET to make it out of the first overland map area... Patches have made me re-start 3 times, but I've learned something new every time I've played, and attempted to change the flow and order of events each time and its almost flawless in its openness.

Though, the random aspects of most loot and NPC inventory does cause some odd progression issues in my opinion. (nothing game breaking)

Grimsark

Not yet. I am guessing they need Valve to enable it and they wont be in till 10am Pacific.

Edit: Maybe its just me but it looks like they boosted the walk speed in the release build by about 10-15%.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Not yet. I am guessing they need Valve to enable it and they wont be in till 10am Pacific.

Edit: Maybe its just me but it looks like they boosted the walk speed in the release build by about 10-15%.
That would be nice but you may be experiencing reverse Jboots syndrome.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Are there update notes or did they just click the "Live" button?

Yes I'm stuck at work too
frown.png