Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Grimsark

Yeah, something is seriously broken in my play through... I just zoned into the Forest for the First time then back to Cyseal, and everything is reset again. I'd be excited if it wasn't for the fact that I have to re-fight everything each time, AND uncover the shroud each time, AND have all the loot in town ready to loot again each time...

Well, except that last one.
wink.png

axeman_sl

shitlord
Is crafting actually worthwhile? I've barely even discovered how to do it after playing for two days, and nothing indicates that I'm missing out on anything. Nobody is talking about crafting, I've found almost no crafting materials that seem like they would actually produce something meaningful (steel bars, for instance, as opposed to shit like teeth and hair) and the game doesn't try to encourage you to craft by guiding you towards it.

Grimsark

Is crafting actually worthwhile? I've barely even discovered how to do it after playing for two days, and nothing indicates that I'm missing out on anything. Nobody is talking about crafting, I've found almost no crafting materials that seem like they would actually produce something meaningful (steel bars, for instance, as opposed to shit like teeth and hair) and the game doesn't try to encourage you to craft by guiding you towards it.
It can be very helpful especially at early levels, before you get the cash flow to supplement your consumables. Best way to practice is to take things like hammers, knifes, empty potions, etc... and drag/drop them on top of other stuff, regardless if you think it makes sense. You'll be surprised. Also, move your GUI to keep the middle of the screen visible, as the failure 'Need better crafting.' message can be obscured. (They should really fix that)

I think the primary reason they don't hold your hand with crafting, is that unlike most games, this one is all about the open world feel. Do as you want, we won't tell you what to do. In this particular case though, it is kind of a blemish on what is otherwise an extremely well made game. IMO.

Hannibal

Lord Nagafen Raider
So far I've found crafting/smithing to be worthless. One point in Blacksmithing is good for the item repair, after that I don't see much use for it. I've read books that told me you can use metal scraps to augment plate armor but I never had high enough smithing to find out how good it is, if it's like the whetstone/bladed weapon augment it's meh at best. There's also something you can do with elemental essences but I never found how to.

Crafting would be good if they lowered the requirements to make spellbooks but you need lvl 5 crafting to do that. Food buffs are meh and the heals are useless, my Jahan heals 110'ish per tick on his minor heal at lvl 13.

Pixie dust + paper/parchment = random (air/fire/water/earth/witch) magical scroll
Magical Scroll + magical scroll = blank book of the element of the scrolls used.
Scroll with spells on it + book with same element as scroll = Spell/Skill Book.

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
Raign, on those weapons with fire damage if you stand in an oil puddle and hit something with a fire weapon does it burn everything in the puddle, including yourself? Similar question for fire + other elemental effects.

Caliane

yes it does. you can really easily kill yourself.
Zombies +fire weapons is pretty funny. they bleed ooze, the ooze explodes from the fire aoe, causing them to bleed ooze... which explodes from landing on burning ground..
same goes with elemental staves. A fire element staff will deal burning damage.

Elemental resists should probably be a priority for any melee fighter. And then consider body building and will to reduce burning/poison.

Almost murdered Madara with my rogue yesterday with that. She was at 100% life. level 6, vs a level 5 zombie boar..
My rogue backstabs the boar. Madara took like 6 hits of explosion and poison damage. iirc, it even "killed her" but she 1 hp saved.

Hannibal

Lord Nagafen Raider
Burning weapon > Sets mob on fire > mob will set oil on fire if standing on oil or explode then set on fire if on poison. So if you use a burning weapon on mobs that bleed poison there's gonna be fire everywhere.

Burning weapon hitting poisoned mobs or vice versa will cause mini explosions each time it procs.

If the mob is wet and you have a stunning weapon it has a very high chance to stun. My rogue can chainstun bosses with double backstab if they're not immune to it and Jahan makes it rain.

Caliane

yeap. And more.
Madara has a 2hand "15%chance to poison" sword. This procs AOE ooze itself. This can hit her, or the rogue if they are too close.

Victora/elf quest question
Anyone have ideas how to resolve it Lawful good? Not going to kill her, don't want to take her amulet. told her about the plot. told Cecil about the plot. Told Aurious. He want's proof to imprison the crazy elf. So, how do I get proof? I don't see any new interactions with the guy. nothing in the room to steal.
Any idea if murdering him will resolve the quest? might just savescum to try it. Obviously more chaotic good for that..

Caliane

yeap. And more.
Madara has a 2hand "15%chance to poison" sword. This procs AOE ooze itself. This can hit her, or the rogue if they are too close.

Victora/elf quest question
Anyone have ideas how to resolve it Lawful good? Not going to kill her, don't want to take her amulet. told her about the plot. told Cecil about the plot. Told Aurious. He want's proof to imprison the crazy elf. So, how do I get proof? I don't see any new interactions with the guy. nothing in the room to steal.
Any idea if murdering him will resolve the quest? might just savescum to try it. Obviously more chaotic good for that..
Answering my own question in case anyone else is curious.

I had tried pickpocketing earlier. but forgot it, it seems. As tried it again, and saw he does have an item that is incriminating. However, fat load of good that even does anyway. the pickpocket value is high. So, that solution won't work. Perhaps need to come back later.
Option B of just murdering him, totally does work, and resolves the quest. Can't turn in the evidance to Aurious, but you can turn it in to Victoria.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've definitely witnessed first hand the chain effects you guys are talking about, but what I can't figure out is the healing. Basic example is fighting a zombie boar, hitting with a fire attack for like 15 base damage, then he gets healed for like 30, then he explodes for 45. Most times it's a net damage increase, but when they don't explode it actually heals them for more than the damage done. The combat log doesn't say where the heal comes from. Can someone explain it?

Raign

Golden Squire
Raign, on those weapons with fire damage if you stand in an oil puddle and hit something with a fire weapon does it burn everything in the puddle, including yourself? Similar question for fire + other elemental effects.
As the others have said, it does. It is a little bit rare in that it needs to ignite the mob (aka needs to be successful) but most mobs are not immune to burning. That said, it can lead to some pretty epic combos as others have alluded to, especially since my rogue has the highest initiative and almost always goes first (she has telekinesis for barrel set ups and always starts fights with a bow equipped to leak them)

Caliane

I've definitely witnessed first hand the chain effects you guys are talking about, but what I can't figure out is the healing. Basic example is fighting a zombie boar, hitting with a fire attack for like 15 base damage, then he gets healed for like 30, then he explodes for 45. Most times it's a net damage increase, but when they don't explode it actually heals them for more than the damage done. The combat log doesn't say where the heal comes from. Can someone explain it?
the ooze healed him. it deals poison damage. poison damage heals zombies.

iannis

Musty Nester
It can be very helpful especially at early levels, before you get the cash flow to supplement your consumables. Best way to practice is to take things like hammers, knifes, empty potions, etc... and drag/drop them on top of other stuff, regardless if you think it makes sense. You'll be surprised. Also, move your GUI to keep the middle of the screen visible, as the failure 'Need better crafting.' message can be obscured. (They should really fix that)

I think the primary reason they don't hold your hand with crafting, is that unlike most games, this one is all about the open world feel. Do as you want, we won't tell you what to do. In this particular case though, it is kind of a blemish on what is otherwise an extremely well made game. IMO.
Yeah, I combined a pumpkin and an apple and got a bottle of dust. The crafting is not always... sensical. But there's probably a book that I haven't found that explains the magical properties of pumpkins in some goofy way
biggrin.png

I do like the crafting. It's the inventory management that drives me nuts. Virtually unlimited inventory-box space is good, but for it to be better you'd have to be able to maximize the inventory window itself. I halfway expect that sweetfx mods will be first (there is a legit one now!) and that QOL mods like inventory sorting will be very soon.

I'd write one if I knew how.

Caliane

yeap. more or less. works for the Leech and you as well.

Would be neat of crushing, slashing, piercing had different bleeding effects.

Caliane

Yeah, I combined a pumpkin and an apple and got a bottle of dust. The crafting is not always... sensical. But there's probably a book that I haven't found that explains the magical properties of pumpkins in some goofy way
biggrin.png

I do like the crafting. It's the inventory management that drives me nuts. Virtually unlimited inventory-box space is good, but for it to be better you'd have to be able to maximize the inventory window itself. I halfway expect that sweetfx mods will be first (there is a legit one now!) and that QOL mods like inventory sorting will be very soon.

I'd write one if I knew how.
huh. was going to say, you must of he misclicked.... but Pumpkin+apple does combine. Seemingly oddly.
pumpkin+apple= Hanneman's Axe. (shows art of a potion)
Actual combine=Filter of the fearless imp
Not drinkable or anything.

Weird.

Grimsark

For those that have not already begun unlocking the end of time content, its all about party customization. And a small note that really isn't a spoiler, more of a warning. The books that are fore sale boost ability and skill points (+1, +3 respectively) So don't waste them. (Assuming they don't re-spawn)

I have to say that I am enjoying this... More than I expected. Granted, the myth is a bit generic, but palatable.
wink.png

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
So did anyone dig up the grave in the town and have that goat or sheep blow up on them? Watching my buddy start last night and I missed that but died at the 40k damage the sheep does.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
So did anyone dig up the grave in the town and have that goat or sheep blow up on them? Watching my buddy start last night and I missed that but died at the 40k damage the sheep does.
Yup. It's the grave not in the graveyard iirc right? Did that once and got insta-gibbed. Has Larian said anything about when most people that don't have access to the global chat channel, will? Mine hasn't allowed me to access it since launch day
frown.png