Doctor Strange (2016)

Brad2770

Because it's not about the villain. The kids that tend to be the ones that watch these movies over and over are going to pester their parents for the latest Capt. America action figure. Who the fuck cares about Baron Zemos?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
a LOT of people care about baron zemo, which is exactly why his MCU portrayal was so... meh. you have certain actors who did really well with what they were handed, Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane. He was awesome. loki is always great. then you have the dreaded red skull, the destroyer, yellowjacket, ultron... they are SUPPOSED to make the heroes feel like underdogs or else there's no drama. their portrayals were generally just... cookie cutter bad guy 101 stuff.

and it is very much about the villians. a hero without a villian is either wasted potential or a sociopath. i've argued this before but that's why we care so much about guys like batman (who by himself has no powers) and flash (who by himself has a dumb power) is because their rogues gallaries are so brilliant. they put the heroes in situations that we, as readers, find difficult to reconcile, and then the heroes "find a way." we just... really don't get that with the MCU. hopefully thanos is building towards that?

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yellowjacket was good, Zemo can still be redeemed since he is planned for future movies

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yellowjacket was still on the sociopath scale, which they explained away in a line by saying the particles drive you bananas without the "special helmet" but you could have just... done something better. I love the MCU but the villain treatments have been easily the weakest part of the universe. Loki stands out as a great example of what you CAN do with a villain. Nuance, development, varied situations, interaction... no other villain gets that much effort. Thanos is a maybe on that track because we've at least seen him a couple times now, but his interactions have been limited. Have to see what they do once he really hits the main road.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
This is why the F4 needs to come home. We yearn for Doom done right.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even the worst villains arent nearly as bad as what DC and Fox has been putting out lately. F4stick, Suicide Squad, BVS, and Apocalypse were on a whole new level of bad

Malkav

French Madman
Movie was great.

Solid origin story, no boring/dragged out scene. Fun all around.

And Cumberbatch was great.

Post credit scene :
Seems like Loki and Thor are in NY and Thor is looking for Odin and Dr Strange decides to help him. I expect this scene to be well into Thor Ragnarok, like the after credit scene from AntMan was in Civil War.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Enjoyed it. Cumberbatch looks perfect as Strange but didn't think his accent was good. I was willing to give Tilda Swinton a go as the Ancient One but just no.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Saw it last night in Imax 3D. It was pretty baller and I thought the casting was spot on. Wong was a bit underutilised but we will see more of him in the next one I assume.

Fadaar

That guy
This is what happens when the rest of the world is way worse than the US with piracy. Fuckin' horseshit.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
7.2 / 10 on RT, which is right in line with Metacritic's 74. AKA worth seeing but not the best movie ever made.

Brad2770

So it's the Judge Roy Scream to the Texas Giant. Shorter line and almost as much fun. Perfect!! Can't wait!