Doctor Who

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
those are some pretty sweet episodes. winston churchill ww2 daleks is awesome.
Yeah... up until the rainbow Daleks showed up.
8a34628684467889e8b9e9d4bafacf14.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh shit.. Mark Gatiss! I had been trying to think of who they could get to run the show, but I couldn't think of anyone (partially cause I dont know many BBC writers/showrunners) but yes.. he'd be perfect. His work on Sherlock has been amazing and he's written quite a few Dr. Who episodes. He can write characters that are clearly smarter than others (from his work on Sherlock), he has sci-fi/genre experience, and (most importantly) he's actually a fan.
Mark Gatiss is overrated, he's basically only written bad Doctor Who and Sherlock episodes. Moffat got the show runner job because he wrote the episodes with Captain Jack and Weeping Angels, which were excellent. I'm not sure what Gatiss wrote that you actually thought was good? Do you want a less impressive version of Moffat in charge?

Gatiss was famous for being part of the trio that wrote black comedy "The League of Gentlemen" where the three of them played the majority of the characters (including crossdressing the women), a show which I loved. It's interesting that the other two continued to write black comedies "Psychoville" and "Inside No 9" where they still played multiple characters, maybe they were the talented ones?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Mark Gatiss is overrated, he's basically only written bad Doctor Who and Sherlock episodes. Moffat got the show runner job because he wrote the episodes with Captain Jack and Weeping Angels, which were excellent. I'm not sure what Gatiss wrote that you actually thought was good? Do you want a less impressive version of Moffat in charge?

Gatiss was famous for being part of the trio that wrote black comedy "The League of Gentlemen" where the three of them played the majority of the characters (including crossdressing the women), a show which I loved. It's interesting that the other two continued to write black comedies "Psychoville" and "Inside No 9" where they still played multiple characters, maybe they were the talented ones?
disagree, his Sherlock stuff was pretty decent. at least admit he has leaps and bounds more scifi experience than chibnail and his entire writing team.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
OK- I finally made it to "Rosa" and I see where all the vehement comments are coming from.

It also validates exactly what I said about the writing AND demonstrates that they have abandoned science fiction as a genre.

That episode projects it's own writing process. Probably went something like this:

"We need to do an episode that makes a deep, social comment."
"Blacks?"
"Yeah, sure. Why not Rosa Parks?"
"Great. Like the team has to go back in time and make sure she goes on the bus?"
"Yeah. Like that. Only we have to show how hard it was in the Jim Crow south and how evil people were."
"Yes!"
"What about a villian?"
"Another time traveler who wants to change Earth's history?"
"Brilliant!!"

I feel like I was at that writing meeting...
Seriously dumb writing constructed around a concept and forced into a skeleton of a Sci-Fi concept. I guess Rosa Parks' bus ride was a temporal nexus. A point in time of such monumental import that all the universe knows it. Right! So stupid.

Broadchurch was a solid program. That the show runner would stoop to inane and weak plot vehicles and thin, vapid episodes surprises me.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
OK- I finally made it to "Rosa" and I see where all the vehement comments are coming from.

It also validates exactly what I said about the writing AND demonstrates that they have abandoned science fiction as a genre.

That episode projects it's own writing process. Probably went something like this:

"We need to do an episode that makes a deep, social comment."
"Blacks?"
"Yeah, sure. Why not Rosa Parks?"
"Great. Like the team has to go back in time and make sure she goes on the bus?"
"Yeah. Like that. Only we have to show how hard it was in the Jim Crow south and how evil people were."
"Yes!"
"What about a villian?"
"Another time traveler who wants to change Earth's history?"
"Brilliant!!"

I feel like I was at that writing meeting...
Seriously dumb writing constructed around a concept and forced into a skeleton of a Sci-Fi concept. I guess Rosa Parks' bus ride was a temporal nexus. A point in time of such monumental import that all the universe knows it. Right! So stupid.

Broadchurch was a solid program. That the show runner would stoop to inane and weak plot vehicles and thin, vapid episodes surprises me.
Tennant and that tough cop broad was the only reason i liked Broadchurch. half that cast was in Doctor Who anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
'Doctor Who': No New Season in 2019
“We’re delighted that the Doctor and her friends will be returning to thrill audiences in 2020,” Charlotte Moore, BBC director of content. “I know Chris and the whole team are already working on a whole new set of exciting adventures. In the meantime we’ve got a very special episode on New Year’s Day for everyone to enjoy.”

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Didn't watch the finale but all the reviews on reddit are negative. Apparently it's basically just a normal episode.

It's in trouble if it has a year hiatus already, they had a hiatus when Russel T Davies ran out of ideas and left and when Moffat ran out of ideas and for some reason stayed on for more seasons after the hiatus.

I guess Chibnall is already out of ideas and somehow they don't understand that they need to hire sci-fi writers.

• 2Like

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah didn't even realize it was the season finale.
At least it was a tie in with the first episode.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The entertainment industry needs to culturally appropriate some grand storytellers cause this ain't cutting it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Cybsled

At least the teaser for the New Year's episode hints there will be Daleks. Pretty sure they have to use the Daleks at least once per season as part of their rights agreement, so makes sense.

• 2Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
They had a 10 month break after the '17 Xmas special. Is a couple extra months really going to make that much of a difference in episode story quality? Let a turd sit in the sun a few extra days and all you have is hot shit. I'd be so pissed if I were Jodi with the garbage stories they're putting out.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they're probably hoping that extra time will create new buzz for this trainwreck in a year.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Pretty sure they have to use the Daleks at least once per season as part of their rights agreement, so makes sense.

I was thinking that as well when they started the season with 'no returning monsters'. I mean if there's a non-Dalek answer to the "dna of the most dangerous creature in the universe" then that would be a significant retcon. Well I suppose 'Gallifreyan' might also count.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
they're probably hoping that extra time will create new buzz for this trainwreck in a year.

Or maybe they are hoping everyone will forget how bad it was. The show has been Dr Who Cares for a few years now. No harm in cancelling it outright for a while until someone with talent arrives to pick it up and do something good with it.

Otherwise, they are better off taking this show's corpse to the curbside and hope no one notices the legs sticking out of the trash can until collection day comes around.

• 2Like

Inque

FunEmployed
Final episode was garbage. Mildly entertaining garbage but more like an episode we should've had three weeks ago, not as the season wrap. Unless the New Years episode has a Dalek, or maybe a return to Gallifrey we're hosed. The only thing I truly enjoyed this season was the music, otherwise pure, utter garbage.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
If the finale had been like the 4th or 5th episode, and was more representative of the entire season (it was almost a story arc!), then things might have been decent. As a finale, though? Meh.
Take the opener, the kerblam episode, the solitract episode, and then the finale as the first 4 episodes.. thats a half decent season of Dr. Who imo.
Throw in another mini story arc, a dalek or other old villain episode, and some kind of tie in with more stenza stuff (even if youve killed tim shaw by that point) at the end.
A bit different style, but thats to be expected with a new showrunner. I could at least see myself enjoying that style of Who.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh, and one of the social commentary episodes, preferably demons of punjab or the witch finder one, would have been fine as well. It still would have been a weaker episode, but passable at least. It was too many of those episodes with no real gems in between.

• 1Like

Inque

FunEmployed
Agreed, I want to give Whitaker a chance but I'm just, I dunno it made me appreciate the cheese of the older episodes a lot. I thought the music was beautiful, even moreso than Capaldi's run by far, but man they better knock it out the park on New Years.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Agreed, I want to give Whitaker a chance but I'm just, I dunno it made me appreciate the cheese of the older episodes a lot. I thought the music was beautiful, even moreso than Capaldi's run by far, but man they better knock it out the park on New Years.
they had no idea how to make a christmas special, and they had to make a dalek episode. so dont expect Babe Ruth to be pointing at right field any time soon.

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I just rewatched Heaven Sent again tonight. Such a phenomenal episode. Makes me dislike season 11 even more.

• 1Like