Doctor Who

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Don't think it was another kid playing tricks unless he was deformed. Anyone get a screen cap of when it started to remove the blanket right behind them?
Best I can find.

tumblr_nbvz2a2O2S1s7psnvo1_500.jpg

geffe71_sl

shitlord
one giant continuity issue, unless they phrased it correctly: The doctor has been to the end of time/the universe in Utopia. Why isnt the Tardis hurting?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They didn't forget about it when they looked away. Has to be something new. Also it was much smaller than the Silence dudes.
I think you're probably right, but I was thinking it was more of an origin story. They never explained where they came from or who they are.

Same race that claimed to be on Earth since we were cavemen. Lots of "why?" still.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The Silurians fit that criteria.
Yeah. But I meant in that Moon episode the Silence Confessors claimed to have controlled Human destiny since we were cavemen. I forget the line. Question is why. Still a lot of unanswered things about that race so I jumped the gun assuming this was an origin ep. We'll just have to wait and see.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
took me like 90 minutes to watch the robin hood episode. the preview for it made me skip the show for a few weeks due to its toxic levels of douchiness. the episode was as bad as i imagined, but i got through it with breaks at its worst moments which were often. this week was much much better, i liked the concept and the cinematography was fucking amazing, i could have done without the romcom parts in the story, but overall it was the best episode of the season.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
one giant continuity issue, unless they phrased it correctly: The doctor has been to the end of time/the universe in Utopia. Why isnt the Tardis hurting?
Yeah, isn't this at least the 2nd time they've been to the end of the universe?

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I thought the planet they were on when the humans were headed to Utopia was something beyond the universe. Somewhere they shouldn't have been because the TARDIS was trying to ditch Capt. Jack.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They wanted to escape the end of the universe. The Master found them and turned them into those Phantasm death-orbs.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, isn't this at least the 2nd time they've been to the end of the universe?
Either: The TARDIS had refueled just before they went there, that is how Jack got on board and why his HQ was in that location.

or: The Doctor lies.

iannis

Musty Nester
I always thought the weave/loom stuff was just meant to indicate that their culture is based on creche children. We could almost do the same thing now, and when that concept was introduced decades ago it was high sci-fi. They're not really even sexual as adults anymore. they just take some blood, brew up a new batch of gallifrembryoes, toss them in "the loom" on the off chance it will imbue some of them with timey-wimey resistance powers and allow them to regenerate, turn on the centrifuge to separate out the downsies, and then raise/educate whatever makes it through the process in a camp/farm Brave New World style.

It's a highly ordered, rigid, aristocratic, authoritarian culture without carrying many of the negative implications that usually come with those words. But it's also a culture which allows for individualism and even requires it to exist -- hence requiring the children to look into the abyss at some point and the "Mad" Doctor who is able to save the day when High Lord Commander Rassilon is fresh out of ideas. And oops -- The Master. Well, no system is perfect. I don't know that any of them have ever directly stolen from Brave New World, I wouldn't accuse them of it at all, but it has always struck me as a very similar theme/idea. Because it's just a strong idea in the first place.

I mean it's Dr. Who. It's not going to make a lot of sense. But that makes enough sense. The first time we ever saw them in action the Time Lords were more like officers in Her Majesties Royal Navy than anything.

iannis

Musty Nester
For a lot of people in general, and I think specifically for a lot of brits, that's kind of a vision of Utopia. Lasting social stability without stifling or stagnation. Justice without abuse.

Which is kinda what makes Rassilon either a villian or a hero, depending on the particular story.

Inque

FunEmployed
Not even sure I'm watching Doctor Who anymore. Fell asleep during this last episode, all the episodes except Listen have sucked balls. It's just completely off.

Chris

Potato del Grande
DON'T DO THING YOU NORMALLY DO!

Don't Blink. Don't Breathe. Don't Turn Around. Don't Think.

Is this Moffat's starting point for every episode now?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
That was awful. My only hope is that there is a tween kid somewhere who will one day plot a mass murder them remember this episode and change his mind. That *might* redeem it.

Tony Tilse did an ep of Farscape called Scratch n Sniff. If you want a "romp" with memorable one off characters. That's how it's done. The plots were eerily similar. Amnesia and a robbery/rescue.