Doctor Who

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One can only hope that the alien will be a plot point in a future episode, but the likelihood is low. I can't fault Capaldi for any of this since it's entirely the show's writers who go with these plots but they need something more impactful and they needed it a couple episodes ago.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I think Capaldi has been great actually. I think the stories have been aimed at 13-16 year old boys new to Sci-Fi. They have a campy, generic feel like shows on Sci-Fi channels lineup did in the late 90s early 00s.

Ganthorn

N00b
Yeah, I think Capaldi has been great actually. I think the stories have been aimed at 13-16 year old boys new to Sci-Fi. They have a campy, generic feel like shows on Sci-Fi channels lineup did in the late 90s early 00s.
I feel like a lot of these episodes were written with matt smith in mind and they just didn't bother to write new ones. Wasn't matt smith supposed to be one more season but they took too long and split the other season in 2. I feel like this bank robbery episode would have been better with a wise cracking smith prancing around all happy to be robbing a bank instead of mr crankypants. Mr Crankypants just doesn't seem to fit the theme of a lot of these.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Man.. I guess I just love heist stuff, because I thought this was a great episode. I thought it was almost as good as Listen, simply because it didn't have as much inconsistency with the ending and the stuff beforehand (i.e. oh it was all in the doctors head, except for when it wasn't, lol timey wimey). But, the tone and everything of listen was amazing, and I'm hoping they revisit the creature they showed later on to really wrap it up.

For 'Time Heist', I didn't have any complaints. It was a little obvious to me who the architect was as soon as the vault opened and the Doctor had his revelation about it being a time travel heist, but the payoff was still fine. I also get a kick out of when they play with cause/effect due to time. He's at the bank because he was asked to be at the bank by the person he meets because he's at the bank.. TIMEY WIMEY, but it works in this case, I thought.

Also, I think Capaldi's doctor is getting into a groove. He's starting to be a little funnier in a grumpy way, and it's great. "why are you in charge?" "basically, it's the eyebrows" or however it went, was hilarious but subtle. 'Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut shut shut the upppity up!! You! What did you say? De-shut up!' hahaha. Lot of great deliveries from his this time.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shrug, I actually liked this episode more than some of the others this season so far.

One question though, not sure if this was a reference to anything or just some on screen fodder, but the little case in the private vault in the end there, the one that looked like it had a little paper rocketship or something in it? Was that a reference to any old Who stuff or nothing of note? It kept catching my eye.

Ganthorn

N00b
Shrug, I actually liked this episode more than some of the others this season so far.

One question though, not sure if this was a reference to anything or just some on screen fodder, but the little case in the private vault in the end there, the one that looked like it had a little paper rocketship or something in it? Was that a reference to any old Who stuff or nothing of note? It kept catching my eye.
It caught my eye as well and I figured it must be a reference

Silence_sl

shitlord
The new season is just...bad. Clara is stiff and about as charming as a Wal-Mart checkout clerk, and the new Doctor is poorly conceived, written, and directed. The scripts are numb from the neck up and emotionally malnourished from the neck down.

No brains, no heart.

The very two things that made the new series work so well seem to be gone.

This isn't the new Doctor's fault, nor is it Clara's. The writing and personification of its main characters is as distal to the human condition as watching a chat show hosted by crustaceans.

Moffat needs to go. Unfortunately for Capaldi and Jenna...they too, must go. Damned by association and all that.

The series needs a reboot.

Emily Blunt as the Doctor, Rose Leslie as her sidekick...and a story arc that includes the Doctor's daughter (and the Tardis that she built from the scraps she found in the Tardis graveyard). Two solid seasons of stuff that doesn't include pointless melodrama as its main ingredient.

3/4 of a season where there is no Doctor. Just the Doctor's daughter. As played by Emma Watson. Natch. No melodramas...then, the culmination of a two year long story arc..then dramas, tears, and fini.

Until the next doctor waddles along with her parking brake on.

iannis

Musty Nester
If it can't be Judi Dench... then it has to be Emily Blunt. I would watch either of these Fem Doctors, and I would enjoy it.

Judi Dench as the Doctor would be SO GOOD.

Silence_sl

shitlord
If it can't be Judi Dench... then it has to be Emily Blunt. I would watch either of these Fem Doctors, and I would enjoy it.

Judi Dench as the Doctor would be SO GOOD.
I know you are all sass, but Dench could work. I was thinking Rampling as the Doc after Blunt. Keep in mind there would be nearly an entire season where Watson would have to carry the show as The Doctor's Daughter, then Rampling steps in.

Keep in mind, fucking around on this forum will yield stories that are 10,000x better than what Moffat can pinch out.

iannis

Musty Nester
Seriously, I would watch the absolute fuck out of Judi Dench playing Doctor Who.

That woman is just awesome. No sass.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Judi Dench wouldn't work as she has all but bowed out of acting now due to her deteriorating vision. I believe that's why she was written out of the Bond movies despite being an excellent foil to Daniel Craig.

As for the episode, I enjoyed it for the most part despite it having a very flimsy plot and a reveal you could spot a mile off. Two things that bothered me though. Firstly, when they were all under the impression the teleport devices were actually techno-cyanide why didn't anyone think to just stick one in the thought-minotaur (another minotaur in the maze episode alaThe God Complex) and kill it. And, that scene where the guy and the shapeshifting girl reappear seemed odd right as it cuts back to them descending the ladder. Either bad cinematography/script-writing or he's maybe going to use that at some point for something happening to Clara.

With regards to Moffat, I worry he has done irreparable damage to the series. I liken Matt Smith to Sylvester McCoy in so much as I feel he was a solid Doctor totally let down by an atrocious set of scripts. Seriously, if you haven't go watch some of those old episodes, McCoy was a fantastic Doctor. Capaldi is looking like he's suffering from the same problem as well but where I feel Moffat was retained and Smith was nudged out last time I think if the ratings continue to tank Moffat will struggle to lay the blame at the feet of Capaldi as he has significantly more acting clout behind him for it to be passed off as, "The last two Doctor's were awful let's find another!" The concern is though that the head of entertainment at the Beeb will just pull the plug on the series as they did before as I have to wonder who they'd get to replace him. Russell T Davies has a new "gay" series about to kick off over here and Neil Gaiman is too busy doing what he does, writing novels. Although, I grow moist thinking what the two of those could deliver if they were both free, and willing, to commit to it.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Man, I really wish you douchebags would give up the whole female/black Doctor angle. It's not going to fucking happen.

geffe71_sl

shitlord
I might be crazy, but these last 2 episodes were much better than 2 and 3. Not great episodes of Doctor Who by any means, but best so far this season. I agree Capaldi is not the issue, and the writing is too simple and too complex at the same time. It seems the writing/acting is on an uptick, better stay that way

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
blink and the empty child were MUCH scarier. that poll is tarded. kids need a few good scares growing up. it toughens them for real life

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They tried to single out "Listen". Not really sure what was so scary other than the thing under the blanket. During Davies run they used to screen the ep for a school each week on Wednesday and post what the kids had to say were the "hide behind the couch" moments and give it an overall scare o meter. I personally think Davies run had much scarier eps though. Guess they're just trying to drum up a reaction.

TheOkapi

Molten Core Raider
I don't like knowing more than the Doctor does. When I figure out the Architect 5 minutes into the ruse, the Doctor should have had it cold in 30 seconds. The one thing I've felt this Doctor is lacking has been that "I know more than you" twinkle in his eye/tone of voice. I know he is, so show me how clever the Doctor is, please.