Doctor Who

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Thought this was interesting.

How different (if at all) would the story arc for your first season have been if David Tennant had stayed on for one more year?

I only had the roughest idea. Had David stayed for one final year, it would certainly have been his last, so my pitch was that it would start with the TARDIS crashing in Amelia's back garden - as now - and a terribly battered and bruised Tenth Doctor staggering out. Amelia finds him, feeds him fish custard (no that was for Matt, it would have been something more Davidy) and generally helps him. But we, the audience, can see he's in a truly bad way. Dying maybe. Eventually he heads back to his TARDIS, and flies off.
But when he returns - many years later for Amy - he seems perfectly fine, and indeed doesn't remember any of those events...And of course over time, we realise what we saw was the Tenth Doctor at the end of his life, about to regenerate.
Events that we return to in Episode 13...
There you go. The road not taken. Weird even to think about it now!

You can read the full interview with Steven Moffat in the current issue of Doctor Who Magazine which is out now!

Cybsled

Standard episode, although The Doctor's stalking of Clara's parents first meeting through the death of Clara's mother seems to cement that she does appear to just be a normally conceived and born human girl...which no doubt interests him even more, especially after he gives the speech to the Queen girl about how she (and pretty much everyone) is unique in the universe and Clara's father's view of the leaf that almost got him killed, but resulted in him meeting Clara's mother.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I'm reading into the one versus infinite dialogue too much, but I get the impression 'something' would cause an infinite number of versions for Clara until the Doctor observed her past and set that as her one timeline. Fiddle around with timey wimey wibbly wobbly "time can be changed" stuff.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Standard episode
Not sure about that, I think there was something in this ep that will play very heavily into the 50th.

This one had a Great Vampire, and a mention of Susan Foreman. Pretty rare stuff for Who.
Her mothers death date on the tombstone was the day(week?) that the Doctor returned to Earth to meet Rose. And the TARDIS does not like Clara.
Also the enemy was an ally of the Old Gods which included the Great Intelligence/Yog Sorgoth if you subscribe to the First Great Time War.

Still think Clara is an amalgam of The Companions. We learned last season that the TARDIS is not fond of the Doctor bringing them on board her, but all of them at once? Okay, grasping at straws but I'm sticking to it

edit: I take it back, it wasn't a great vampire. But it was still an Old God, so my point stands
tongue.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthugha

Cybsled

True. The biggest thing is The Doctor acknowledging that basically the culmination of billions of years and specific circumstances eventually result in a unique individual in all the universe. Clara's father also touches on this with the leaf, essentially demonstrating that if a very specific set of circumstances didn't exist that resulted in the creation of that one leaf, then essentially Clara would not exist (by virtue of never meeting the future mother of Clara).

However, 3 Claras are known to exist. This indicates that divergent circumstances and elements have resulted in the creation of the "same" person at least 3 times. Since it seems extremely improbable that this happened on its own, it would suggest that something is manipulating elements in time to create this.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
True. The biggest thing is The Doctor acknowledging that basically the culmination of billions of years and specific circumstances eventually result in a unique individual in all the universe. Clara's father also touches on this with the leaf, essentially demonstrating that if a very specific set of circumstances didn't exist that resulted in the creation of that one leaf, then essentially Clara would not exist (by virtue of never meeting the future mother of Clara).

However, 3 Claras are known to exist. This indicates that divergent circumstances and elements have resulted in the creation of the "same" person at least 3 times. Since it seems extremely improbable that this happened on its own, it would suggest that something is manipulating elements in time to create this.
Yeah. That was definitely the most important thing in the dialogue. Thought it was very well done. All those atoms don't come together thrice to form the exact same person. And thrown in the Doctor's path all 3 times?

Would be interesting if it was the Black Guardian, using Clara the way he used Turlough. It's gotta big a REALLY REALLY big baddie though, because were seeing the enemies of the original Time Lords, back when the Old Gods ruled the Universe. Tennant's doctor dealt with some of this in that Catherine Tate X-Mas special when he fought the decendants of Narlahotep (or whichever Old God that was). He even took Donna back to the creation of Earth, and said this took place at the end of a massive war. So I really think this is all going to be the First Time War rehashed. Maybe something changed when the Master brought back the Time Lords that undid the first war with the Time Lords/Eternals vs Great Vampires/Old Ones.

We'll see. I liked the ep, big budget, good script. Next week we get The Onion Knight and Brutus as guest stars on a submarine during the Cold War, so I'm thinking all season will be big budgets and good scripts.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im glad we got you guys here to explain wtf is going on because to my feeble mind it looked like they spent most of the episode talking/yelling/singing to a giant space jack-o-lantern

Jait

Molten Core Raider
im glad we got you guys here to explain wtf is going on because to my feeble mind it looked like they spent most of the episode talking/yelling/singing to a giant space jack-o-lantern
lol, you're not wrong. They needed to do a better job explaining the enemy which I assumed was aGreat Vampire. Also it was either bad writing or something later that the Doctor just up and disappeared after looking at his screwdriver at the moped dude.

geffe71_sl

shitlord
Only thing I got out of this episode was the beginning with the Oswald family and then The Doctor's monologues his memories near the end.

geffe71_sl

shitlord
Seeing as no one has brought it up, im going to make 2 ballsy predictions:

1. Jenny makes an appearance in the 50th

2. Clara turns out to be The Rani (gotta keep the seasons long prediction going)

Fazana_sl

shitlord
There are quite a few 50th spoilers out there, casting, who is in, who is out etc.

As far as casting goes
Only Piper and Tennant in it pretty much makes it a season special at best rather than a 50th anniversary special. Ecclestone took a meeting with Moffat and heard what he was planning and turned it down, he probably would have anyway but he at least heard him out. McCoy, Colin Baker and McGann are all in Australia atm for a convention and say they've never been officially told they are not part of it anyway! Moffat has also been quoted saying the special should be looking forward and not backwards which is total bollocks as far as I'm concerned. Oh well.

geffe71_sl

shitlord
You really didnt have to spoiler that, its pretty much common knowledge but I like the concern for those trying to go in clear. I agree with you on the aniversary vs season special. supposedly a love letter to fans? whicht fans? the teens or the die hard fans?

saw this on the DW tumblr and it makes sense:

Clara Oswald theory: Bad Wolf/Rose Tyler and Clara are somehow related

FACTS:

Bad Wolf was able to see all of time and space and mold it. (ep: Journey's End)
Constant presence of roses around all three "versions" of Clara.
'The most important leaf in human history' was from a Norway Maple. (ep: The Rings of Akhaten). Darlig Ulv Stranden (a.k.a. Bad Wolf Bay) is located in Norway (ep: Doomsday / Journey's End)
On 5 March 2005, Rose Tyler first met the Doctor. (ep: Rose) 5 March 2005 is also the date when Clara's mother died. (ep: The Rings of Akhaten).
Clara is always wearing red clothes (or something red, like her bag in The Rings of Akhaten). Red is the color of most common roses.
The TARDIS doesn't seem to like Clara (ep: The Rings of Akhaten). This may be due to the fact that she is an anomaly of the Universe. The same thing happened with Jack Harkness, since Bad Wolf gave him immortality. The TARDIS tried to shake Jack off (ep: Utopia).

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't buy the "tardis doesn't like clara" thing. That's just something she said because the Doctor locked the door. He always locks the door. Don't you remember the big deal he's made with previous companions when he gave them a key? Off the top of my head, I don't recall anyone ever sneaking in and stowing away either.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Precautionary spoiler tag.... ACTIVATE!
Question I have is why it wasn't translating for her in Rings, but was this week in Cold War.... I also think the Dr is still suspicious of her because he hasn't given her a key.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Just and FYI, if you watch Game of thrones, Not only was Davos in the episode but Catelyn's brother too
This ep wasn't terrible, but overall I thought the best thing about it was that it demonstrated that Clara looks ridiculously hot in an oversized russian naval uniform. Which probably means she looks ridiculoulsy hot in pretty much anything.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This ep wasn't terrible, but overall I thought the best thing about it was that it demonstrated that Clara looks ridiculously hot in an oversized russian naval uniform. Which probably means she looks ridiculoulsy hot in pretty much anything.
Not fake tan.

936full-jenna--louise-coleman.jpg