Doctor Who

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maybe the show would have more viewers if they didn't try to jam their childish SJW issues down our throats every episode.

These idiots will never learn.
been thinking about it and this show is on the trajectory to be cancelled. when an american show starts to decline the first thing they do is switch the time slot, then they get really out of place low rent writers to come up with "new directions" for the program to go. then they shorten the episode count to save money. pretty much exactly whats happening here. i could be wrong because i dont know how British television works. over here we had fonzie jet skiiing in a leather jacket. maybe the Brit version is the male Doctor becoming a woke female with 7 grandmothers and an axe to grind against anything straight, white and male.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
The show is done. The show runner and the lead are leaving the show. I'm glad all this woke garbage is blowing up in their faces. They don't understand that people watch tv to be entertained, not preached at.

They need to get back to writing science fiction, not running commentary on dog shit social issues.

I support the idea of a woman Dr, but the way they went about it is ridiculous.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
been thinking about it and this show is on the trajectory to be cancelled. when an american show starts to decline the first thing they do is switch the time slot, then they get really out of place low rent writers to come up with "new directions" for the program to go. then they shorten the episode count to save money. pretty much exactly whats happening here. i could be wrong because i dont know how British television works. over here we had fonzie jet skiiing in a leather jacket. maybe the Brit version is the male Doctor becoming a woke female with 7 grandmothers and an axe to grind against anything straight, white and male.
I wouldn't worry about the timeslot. BBC's most popular show (Strictly Come Dancing) has a long show on Saturday then a shorter results show on Sunday, I think it's Saturday show may be getting longer and it taking up all the schedule space. Doctor Who was previously shown on an early timeslot on Saturday before Strictly, by moving to Sunday it's still on just before Strictly but it can be on at a better later time (similar time it was on during the Russel T Davies run, just different day).

The Sunday evening lineup is way better than the Saturday one, it's Doctor Who then Strictly then a new Attenbough wildlife documentary (which is excellent, best one I've seen actually). The competitor channel is running a Star Wars marathon on Saturday and a quiz on Sunday (hosted by Graham WTF) so I don't think there's any issues there either.

When they cancelled it last time they did something like (from memory) move it to Thursday and ran it against Cornonation Street (longest running/most popular soap opera) which was suicide, becuase the guy in charge of BBC hated Doctor Who and wanted an excuse to cancel it.

Shortening the episode count is probably more a sign of them running out of ideas, but UK TV has lots of short seasons (like 6 episodes long is normal). I think they do clearly have a lower budget though.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I wouldn't worry about the timeslot. BBC's most popular show (Strictly Come Dancing) has a long show on Saturday then a shorter results show on Sunday, I think it's Saturday show may be getting longer and it taking up all the schedule space. Doctor Who was previously shown on an early timeslot on Saturday before Strictly, by moving to Sunday it's still on just before Strictly but it can be on at a better later time (similar time it was on during the Russel T Davies run, just different day).

The Sunday evening lineup is way better than the Saturday one, it's Doctor Who then Strictly then a new Attenbough wildlife documentary (which is excellent, best one I've seen actually). The competitor channel is running a Star Wars marathon on Saturday and a quiz on Sunday (hosted by Graham WTF) so I don't think there's any issues there either.

When they cancelled it last time they did something like (from memory) move it to Thursday and ran it against Cornonation Street (longest running/most popular soap opera) which was suicide, becuase the guy in charge of BBC hated Doctor Who and wanted an excuse to cancel it.

Shortening the episode count is probably more a sign of them running out of ideas, but UK TV has lots of short seasons (like 6 episodes long is normal). I think they do clearly have a lower budget though.
yeah, its a bit different here. Sunday night is usually a good night for TV, either you have a ball game in primetime or some crime drama on broadcast TV. friday and saturday though nobody watches TV. if your TV show is moved from a good time slot to saturday night then its as good as dead. the UK does have some really short seasons. Sherlock was 3 episodes a year. Luther was 6 or less? i think Torchwood and Life On Mars was 10? its just weird for Doctor Who because it was always 12 or 13. i think american TV broadcast does something like 24 shows a season. its less for cable due to budget.

• 1Like

Goatface

as long as the season finale pulls more than 4.8m, it will be total and complete success over the last 2 seasons
and they can say SJWing has saved the show

i think if she leaves, they will just replace her with someone that isn't a white male and will be happy.
don't know a lot about BBC, but the message seems to be the most important thing now

American broadcast tv is still running on old business plan
they have to produce a lot of content for their affiliates while wanting shows to hit 100 episodes for syndication

Cable shows used to have 20+ episodes, but sometime in late 00's more went with shorter seasons.
apparently there isn't a simple answer as to why and how it get started

anyway, i think around 13 is good number.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The reduction in number of TV show episodes is the same as the reduction in number of songs/albums for the music industry. How many episodes/songs were simply filler? Technology changed so they're renting and selling individual units and less people are obviously going to buy the fillers, but more than that if you sell a whole season of 13 episodes at the same price you would for 20+ then it makes total sense to cut those parts out.

However, now there's the followup problem to the number reduction: they didn't cut all of those parts out and content generation as a whole has declined. Instead of getting high quality throughout we're still getting crap filler interlaced and now it's at an even more noticeable %. Then Doctor Who went the extra mile and flat out did no plot arcs just stand-alones.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The reduction in number of TV show episodes is the same as the reduction in number of songs/albums for the music industry. How many episodes/songs were simply filler? Technology changed so they're renting and selling individual units and less people are obviously going to buy the fillers, but more than that if you sell a whole season of 13 episodes at the same price you would for 20+ then it makes total sense to cut those parts out.

However, now there's the followup problem to the number reduction: they didn't cut all of those parts out and content generation as a whole has declined. Instead of getting high quality throughout we're still getting crap filler interlaced and now it's at an even more noticeable %. Then Doctor Who went the extra mile and flat out did no plot arcs just stand-alones.
game of thrones even does this. people clamored for years that there be longer or more episodes per season and when finally the producers said "fine! here are some 70 minute episodes, now shut your trap!". the extra ten minutes turns out to be just sam talking to gilly about being a loser in his father's eyes.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I'm trying to consider all things, here.

Doctor Who has been a BBC staple for generations. That doesn't mean it has always been good.

In fact, the reboot has been very rocky. Aside from a much better look and budget (still, at times VERY cheesy), the reboot has seriously struggled with writing quality. Yes, there have been a few (a FEW) very brilliant episodes. But overall, the show has deteriorated to fan-service and techno-stupidity.

It has been the equivalent of Star Trek (TOS) third season and X-files (most seasons) for most of its run.

I have only caught the first 2 episodes of season 11. Despite all the hoo-ha that the doctor is now a woman, her character for the first two episodes has been quirky, funny, frenetic, charming and endearing. Yes, it's derivative of sorts-- everyone has been looking for the next Tom Baker. David Tenet was the closest, but the show still struggles with finding a balance. They have yet to get relationships straight (no pun intended there). I was always creeped-out by the Doctor/Rose relationship and the doctor needs to exist on a separate plane from his/her companion(s).

The key to a successful Doctor Who is singular and the show-runners and producers keep missing it. It's the writing, stupid. Get top notch sci-fi talent to write deep, meaningful episodes and it will work.

I think I would be okay with a female, black, dwarf, or two-headed doctor IF the show were well-written.

It isn't.

It panders to stupidity, generations of TV viewers who had no choices of what to watch, and fan-service.

Even the blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion (e.g., "Blink" and that episode didn't even NEED the Doctor in it at all).

I'd be more than happy to give her a chance if they could find real writing talent.

Showcase/Canadian Sci-Fi is way smarter overall.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
game of thrones even does this. people clamored for years that there be longer or more episodes per season and when finally the producers said "fine! here are some 70 minute episodes, now shut your trap!". the extra ten minutes turns out to be just sam talking to gilly about being a loser in his father's eyes.

Poor Sam gets stick wherever he goes!

• 2Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I have only caught the first 2 episodes of season 11. Despite all the hoo-ha that the doctor is now a woman, her character for the first two episodes has been quirky, funny, frenetic, charming and endearing.
I think most people are completely fine with Jodi, but she's not the issue. It's the way Chibnal handled this series. It's the same way Rian Johnson dealt with Star Wars. Arrogant pricks who want 'their vision' and alienate the core fan base by pandering to minority groups. Marvel tried and mostly failed at it in the comics, its failing for Star Wars, and it's going to fail here as well.

I've never missed watching Doctor Who on its air night since 2005. This season I'm lucky if I get around to it by Wednesday or Thursday. These episodes are mostly boring and have zero lasting effects on the Who-verse.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I just wanna say, this last episode was a little better than most. It felt a little more like 'Who' in some ways. Part of that might just be the Doctor mentioning Zygons in an off hand remark, while she was talking about the Grandmothers, but part of it was that the whole plot was more 'sci-fi/dimensional' stuff. That said, while the idea of the 'solitract' was cool, the name and execution was cheezy. Maybe that's why this episode felt a little more like Doctor Who, cause it was kinda cheezy, but I was ok with it.

Still, the thing that continues to bug me is how 'dumb' the Doctor feels this season, in comparison to previous versions. It really feels like she's not any smarter than the companions, just has more knowledge/experience. It's like they can't find better ways of explaining to the audience, so they just have the Doctor ask questions until someone else gives the answer. Whereas they could make HER the exposition when she explains what's going on to the companions.
i.e. *walks through mirror*
"wait.. something is familiar about this." *sonic pulsing* "no... those readings can't be right. Unless... this is an anti-zone!' - Doctor
"a what?" - companion
"think of a bumper on a boat, so it doesn't collide with the dock. Same thing, but for our entire universe. Whenever something threatens to tear the fabric of reality, one of these pops up to protect our universe. Hang on a minute... there's a light up there..." Doctor runs off, Yaz and Grahm following.

Instead, the weird dude inside is the one to tell the Doctor what it is, rather then have her figure it out on her own. Its all these subtle writing changes that make her seem less clever in this run.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
christ, no wonder this show has horrible writing.
On a similar topic this is an interesting video that touches on that:

Basically BBC's drama division is used to making historical dramas (like 1850 or 1950 historical because they don't need to build sets, the buildings still exist everywhere) and hospital dramas (or historical hospital dramas), these staff are then excepted to make sci fi despite BBC having no other sci fi programming. Their only other noteworthy sci fi production was Red Dwarf which they sold off years ago.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
On a similar topic this is an interesting video that touches on that:

Basically BBC's drama division is used to making historical dramas (like 1850 or 1950 historical because they don't need to build sets, the buildings still exist everywhere) and hospital dramas (or historical hospital dramas), these staff are then excepted to make sci fi despite BBC having no other sci fi programming. Their only other noteworthy sci fi production was Red Dwarf which they sold off years ago.
thanks for nudging me to watch that video, was seeing it on my "recommended" for days and kept telling myself i would get around to it eventually. yeah BBC always throws the Doctor in 1800s England. i think there's at least one visit every season for the new series. they even forced the modern Sherlock show to have an episode during that time period in some kind of dream state.

Mark Gatiss gets around and should probably be the new showrunner for Dr Who at this point. i also agree with the last line of that video, Newt is so very Doctor.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Mark Gatiss gets around and should probably be the new showrunner for Dr Who at this point. i also agree with the last line of that video, Newt is so very Doctor.

Oh shit.. Mark Gatiss! I had been trying to think of who they could get to run the show, but I couldn't think of anyone (partially cause I dont know many BBC writers/showrunners) but yes.. he'd be perfect. His work on Sherlock has been amazing and he's written quite a few Dr. Who episodes. He can write characters that are clearly smarter than others (from his work on Sherlock), he has sci-fi/genre experience, and (most importantly) he's actually a fan.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
  • 1Like