Doctor Who

Chris

Potato del Grande
Watched the special - the "alien of the week" plotline was pretty predictable from the get go and it was nice seeing the DoctorDonna again. Donna was always an underrated companion. The "message" they worked into the special was pretty heavy handed, though. Like they could have made it work with better writing, but it was Supergirl on CW levels of subtlety so it felt really forced.

I'm assuming that cryptic line about "2 hearted creatures are rare, I'm going to have to tell the boss" is going to be what the 2nd special revolves around. The Master maybe? Although they've used him a lot lately, so not sure it would fit to bring him back so soon unless they plan to recast him and use him in the next series.
Celestial Toymaker. It was spoiled like last year when they cast Neil Patrick Harris.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Did they really change davros into a big nosed white guy who could walk because Davies was scared that people would start to think that everyone in a wheelchair was evil?

Yes, yes they did.
So you're telling me handicapped individuals are incapable of being evil?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So you're telling me handicapped individuals are incapable of being evil?
“We had long conversations about bringing Davros back, because he’s a fantastic character,” explained Davies during a post-premiere episode of the behind-the-scenes show Doctor Who Unleashed. “Time and society and culture and taste have moved on, and there’s a problem with the old Davros: he’s a wheelchair user who is evil. I had problems with that. A lot of us on the production team did too, associating disability with evil. Trust me, there’s a very long tradition of this.”

“I’m not blaming people in the past at all, but the world changes,” he continued. “And when the world changes, Doctor Who has to change as well. So we made the choice to bring back Davros without the facial scarring and without the wheelchair – or his support unit, which functions as a wheelchair.”
dav.jpg

Davies.png

Screenshot-2023-11-19-at-23-35-45-Russell-T-Davies-on-Instagram-TONIGHT-BBC-One-Who-is-this-mysterious-man-How-will-his-life-collide-with-the-Doctors-And-how-are-they-connected-to-the-Doctors-greatest-enemies-t.png

• 1Worf

Cybsled

The Davros change is pretty fucking dumb. Did anyone besides Davies or whatever moron he listened to ever associate Davros with being in a wheelchair? Dude was a mutant like the Daleks and rolled around like Daleks.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Now Daleks will be protrayed by white male actors dressed like Nazis.

• 1Worf

velk

Trakanon Raider
Special was ok other than being painfully preachy.

I was a little amused they kind of painted themselves into a corner where standard preachy strategies make them look stupid

I can't help but think their workshopping of stuff went something like :

"You would never think of it because you're a MAN!"

"... wasn't he a woman yesterday ?"

"Uh, um, you'd never think of it because you a currently a MAN!'

"... is he though ? If he changes back and forth ?"

"Uuuuh, you'd never think of it because you LOOK like a MAN !'

".. did you just assume his gender ?"

"Uuuuuuuuh, you'd never think of it because you are PRESENTING as a MAN !'

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Special was ok other than being painfully preachy.

I was a little amused they kind of painted themselves into a corner where standard preachy strategies make them look stupid

I can't help but think their workshopping of stuff went something like :

"You would never think of it because you're a MAN!"

"... wasn't he a woman yesterday ?"

"Uh, um, you'd never think of it because you a currently a MAN!'

"... is he though ? If he changes back and forth ?"

"Uuuuh, you'd never think of it because you LOOK like a MAN !'

".. did you just assume his gender ?"

"Uuuuuuuuh, you'd never think of it because you are PRESENTING as a MAN !'
The British woke is so much more cringe than American woke. Both are cringe, but Brit wokies really fucking hate men.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The British woke is so much more cringe than American woke. Both are cringe, but Brit wokies really fucking hate men.

If you were born with, and still retain, a dick and don't align yourself with some form of space messiah you really need to be selectively deaf over here. Otherwise you'll spend most of your time stroking out on the floor with a foam-crusted mouth.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think it's that this is all an American thing and British people don't quite get it since they didn't have the activist high school teachers at all or the communist professors quite as much.

So when they do woke it comes across as parody.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think it's that this is all an American thing and British people don't quite get it since they didn't have the activist high school teachers at all or the communist professors quite as much.

So when they do woke it comes across as parody.
Who has been woke since the 12th doctor. that was about ten years ago. it easy to see the UK has its own brand of it and it specializes in destroying men.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Think of the Brits as the inverse of the states where if something is legally restricted you can't even print headlines unless they are worded like legal definitions. But if something is permitted it has to be very widely adopted without dissent. The box they live in is constantly expanding to absurd proportions and then shrinking to the tiniest "safe space" over and over again. There will be no tolerance for coloring outside of the lines but it must be filled completely as described.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I agree with Dave Cullen's recent video that it's time to "walk away" from this crap. These writers and producers obviously do not care and are literally taking joy in the fans' dismay.

And honestly I'm fine with that. Who, Trek, Star Wars, etc are all super old franchises who were probably already at their creative dead ends. It's time for us to create our own universes and heroes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Second special was decent - basically Among Us/The Thing x Doctor Who. Was nice seeing Wilf again also

Although one concept I thought they could have expanded upon and was a cool idea

So they reveal that the things from beyond the edge of the universe can convert heat to mass. I thought it would have been cool if they theorized that the Heat Death of the Universe was actually the realm outside our universe basically stealing away heat energy in order to bolster their own realm, kind of like a vampire universe

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh, yes.

Sir Isaac Newton was a streetshitter/dindu looking hybrid.

Yes, off to a great start aren't we?

Cybsled

Ya, they filmed some of Wilf's scenes before the actor passed away. They never finished all his scenes, so I am curious how the 3rd special will turn out plotwise

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Now, after watching it - see that's the type of traditional Doctor and Donna adventure I was wanting. Wasn't the best premise, felt like i've seen that whole duplicate image alien trope too much but it still just felt like more of the good old stuff in modern day.

Much better than the first special, imo.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah... episode was fine but two things:

1) They took a giant shit in my mouth with brown Isacc Newton. Like I said for the last episode, this is woke going beyond parody and inventing new levels of cringe. White Nelson Mandela when?

2) They are already resorting to Bottle Episode - TV Tropes in the Disney bad CGI room.

So I'm watching a low budget episode with a shit in my mouth, then The Doctor said that The Flux destroyed half the universe and I didn't watch those episodes but it reminded me of boring woke Dr Who (as opposed to exciting mega woke Dr Who now).

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Isaac Newton actor was one of the cast of It’s a Sin, one of Davies’ other series.

But, yeah, Indian Isaac Newton… no fucking thanks.