Don't Look Up (2021)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
2.69 star(s) Rating: 2.69/5 13 Votes
Title: Don't Look Up (2021)

Tagline: Based on truly possible events.

Genre: Drama, Comedy, Science Fiction

Director: Adam McKay

Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Rob Morgan, Jonah Hill, Mark Rylance, Tyler Perry, Timothée Chalamet, Ariana Grande, Kid Cudi, Ron Perlman, Melanie Lynskey, Himesh Patel, Michael Chiklis, Tomer Sisley, Paul Guilfoyle, Robert Joy, Ashleigh Banfield, Meghan Leathers, Ross Partridge, Frank Ridley, Tamara Hickey, Chris Evans, Sydney Jenkins, Anania Williams, Liev Schreiber, Sarah Silverman, Conor Sweeney, Robert Hurst Radochia

Release: 2021-12-07

Runtime: 138

Plot: Two astronomers go on a media tour to warn humankind of a planet-killing comet hurtling toward Earth. The response from a distracted world: Meh.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Reviews seem to be meh but I thought it was pretty good. Could've shaved off 20 minutes tho.

First half was fantastic imo

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Does Cate Blanchett actually look like that now, or was that just make up to fit the character?

Caliane

Had to watch the dog at my brothers, so sat and watched this, to keep him company.

what a piece of crap.

starts out weak as a completely out of touch hollywood woke satire on media, social media and the white house. doesn't understand clownworld at all. like, making satire of social media, and having ariana grande doing the ice bucket challenge. Surface level doesn't even begin. This clown has no idea whats actually happening.
wastes time with stock footage way too much.

by the mid point, it completely devolves into pure TDS. "this administration is sociopathic and Fascist". Also, Ivanka wants to fuck her dad. Also, Trump would abandon his kids without a second thought to save himself.

A look at the fucking clowns in the cast, should tell the story. sarah silverman, ron perlman, tyler perry, meryl, jonah hill, etc..

TDS claims another. this was just poorly made, and extremely poorly written. back half has alot of just baffling shit. grad student, decides to fuck some 16 yr old skate punk for some reason, who becomes a primary character. who is also catholic. why is this character even in this? the raw TDS on display. celebrities doing concerts, standing against trump. trust celebrities.
tds just rots your brain man.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Had to watch the dog at my brothers, so sat and watched this, to keep him company.

You put on a film to keep a dog company? No wonder your revIew is trash

As soon as I saw Streep was playing a female Trump then I knew the foh big brain's would be frothing at the mouth

• 3Edgelord
  • 2Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Started out decently funny. About an hour and twenty minutes in, I had to pause it to pee and there was still another hour. I thought it had maybe 20 left.

The jabs at society were decent in that first hour, but like everything Hollywood, they couldn't help it and it got obnoxious. The obvious allegories between current politics and covid made it preachy and I lost interest fast (they even have a scene with Leo sitting online arguing with "conspiracy theorists"). It's just too on the nose; the left can't meme.

It also doesn't help that I find nearly the entire cast repugnant. This movie is a who's who of hypocritical, narcissistic asshole actors. It really just becomes Hollywood sniffing their own farts after that first hour. And there's not much worse than that.

I think had it ended about halfway in it could've been okay.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
It also doesn't help that I find nearly the entire cast repugnant. This movie is a who's who of hypocritical, narcissistic asshole actots. It really just becomes Hollywood sniffing their own farts after that first hour. And there's not much worse than that.
They are all pigs. Did you get a load of Blanchett's face? She's had so much work done that her lips move like one of those toy monkeys with the castanets. Only 1/3 way through. They are already wearing out their small pile of jokes.

The idea of the movie was good enough, but it didn't spend nearly enough time in script revision or in the editing room.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
You put on a film to keep a dog company? No wonder your revIew is trash

As soon as I saw Streep was playing a female Trump then I knew the foh big brain's would be frothing at the mouth
What the hell is it with you and dogs? Why are you always ripping on other people here? You are easily the most vile human being ever to log onto FOH, and there has been a LOT of degenerates here. FFS dude, you are one of very few human beings on this planet that knows what dog jizz tastes like. How about you slither back to your own thread and leave us humans alone.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah tbh it was good, but I legit turned it off at 1am because there was still 20 minutes left and I wanted to go to bed

• 1Garbage
  • 1Direct to DVD

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I found it was pretty good.
Over the top at times with the satire, but the acting was solid all around.

It sputtered a bit in the third act, but did a good job of telling the story it wanted to tell.

Worth a watch in my opinion.

• 3Like
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 3 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haven’t finished this yet because I agree it’s way too fucking long. Trailer sold me on the fact that this was supposed to be funny but I think all the jokes are in the first hour. Most of the laughs are “heh, that’s clever” or “I understood that reference” jokes, which is basically all this movie is, plus Meryl Streep is Trump, etc.

Pretty much agree with Gravel’s review. This is not worth it

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just finished it, I turned it off last night with like 2 minutes before the meteor hit lol

• 1Garbage

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It wasn't bad for the first half, but got way too political after and the left has fucking zero self awareness.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
This is basically 'the total lack of self awareness on the left' the movie. Like the left can't meme come to life. Even discounting that, it could have been good but the jokes are just not that funny and there's no reason for a comedy to be 2.5 hours long even if it was funny

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven’t finished this yet because I agree it’s way too fucking long. Trailer sold me on the fact that this was supposed to be funny but I think all the jokes are in the first hour. Most of the laughs are “heh, that’s clever” or “I understood that reference” jokes, which is basically all this movie is, plus Meryl Streep is Trump, etc.

Pretty much agree with Gravel’s review. This is not worth it
I think that's the problem. The jokes in the first hour were subtle jabs at society. And had they left it at that and moved on with the plot after that, it probably could've been a decent movie (albeit still 30 min too long).

Instead they went the opposite way and doubled down on the same jokes, but each time getting more and more blatant with them. Once the subtlety of the jokes was gone, and after the 5th time they revisit the same one, it becomes bad. Essentially beating a dead horse with an ever increasingly larger weapon.

I will say the last 5 minutes or so was good, so Ossoi Ossoi you're kind of missing out on that one. But mostly in a "self reflection on what would happen" kind of way.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I will say the last 5 minutes or so was good, so Ossoi Ossoi you're kind of missing out on that one. But mostly in a "self reflection on what would happen" kind of way.

No I finished it eventually. My point was I was so bored on the first watch that the point I turned it off was just five minutes before the end.

Looking at how much was left included the end credits so I thought there was longer to go. Obviously I'd have stuck it out for the remaining five minutes if I'd have known

And yeah, would you go for the family/loved ones quiet dinner or go for the drug fueled sex rampage during an end of the world fetish party at the local zoo?

Actual lol thinking of the weight loss thread idiots fasting or going low carb because they're more scared of donuts than the actual meteor rofl

• 1Garbage

Caliane

I think that's the problem. The jokes in the first hour were subtle jabs at society.
I don't even think that was working. it came off as coming from someone that was so totally ingrained in cali bubble, they weren't even making any insightful jokes there either.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And yeah, would you go for the family/loved ones quiet dinner or go for the drug fueled sex rampage during an end of the world fetish party at the local zoo?

Some would rather opt to suck a dog dick.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The first half of this was a GREAT commentary on what would probably actually happen if a comet with a 99.7% probability of impacting Earth were actually discovered.

Then it turns into a 30 minute commentary on, "LOL OMG REMEMBER TRUMP AND NOT BELIEVING COVID IS GOING TO KILL LITERALLY EVERYONE!!!" - too busy sniffing their own farts to realize the absolute massive false equivalency. It circles back around to become decent again for the final 20 minutes or so.

Could've been something pretty great. Instead, it took what would've otherwise been an awesome commentary into how far the world has fallen into "Big Tech" and shit all over it. Just to score woke points bashing Trump, who STILL lives rent free in their heads despite not being President for nearly a year.

5.5/10

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database