Don't Look Up (2021)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Reminded me of Downsizing. Some elements of what could have been great (and with this wild cast), but they went way overboard with the crazy in the third act.

Concluded strong, shedding all the real life analogs to actually wrap things up and reconnect characters. Wish there was a more serious version of this.

Also, there's a post-credit scene:

Jonah Hill survives, steps out from under some rubble and immiedatly turns to his phone to broadcast it out like he's live or something 'yo, last man on earth here...'

Caliane

Its climate change. This movie was made before covid. you think the creators were savy enough to show covid treatments being subverted by big tech, and special interests to profit off of it at the cost of human lives?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, exactly, the people who think this is about COVID are dumb and have no idea how long it takes to make a movie. This was written 3+ years ago.

It's about climate change, or leaded gasoline, or cigarettes. The only reason it "feels" like it's about COVID is because history just keeps repeating itself.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Climate change you say!

I'm not making another thread for it so prepare to get hijacked

1640628783556.png

Lifelong friends are getting together for Christmas and something is amiss with their interactions. It turns out that Russia has sent poison gas to kill everyone in the United Kingdom! Wait no, it's Climate Change! Mother Earth is spitting back up all the garbage we stuffed down in her! The poison gas is very painful and kills everyone that comes in to contact with it. The cloud arrives in the morning.

But good news, the UK has provided suicide pills to everyone except not everyone. Only citizens get pills. Those filthy darkies don't get pain-free suicide pills. Kid gets exposed to gas, bleeds from the eyes, goes in to a coma, everyone takes their pills

oh shit everyone is dead but the kid that got gassed that made a big deal about taking the pill

If anyone needs their Christmas Suicide Pact Climate Change Movie. It's not a comedy but it might be a farce. I wouldn't even bring it up except I like Keira Knightly. Also because it's Netflix the white dudes are all effeminate cucks and the women want to bang the cool, smart, black doctor from Nigeria. Also there's a scene where one kid spies on twins in the tub with implied nudity because you know it's Netflix.

Netflix gonna Netflix.

If you look at the poster closely you can see the poison gas tornadoes in the background.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Also, I knew Ariana Grande was in this but I didn't believe her character was actually her - had to look it up on IMDB because she didn't look as pretty in this film as she normally does. It looked like a bad lookalike

Fucker

Log Wizard
Also, I knew Ariana Grande was in this but I didn't believe her character was actually her - had to look it up on IMDB because she didn't look as pretty in this film as she normally does. It looked like a bad lookalike
You of all people should love ugly women...because we know you are into dogs.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I did like the line where Jonah said there are only three types of people, and when Jennifer can't get over being charged for the snacks.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
With low expectations but curiosity driven by this thread I checked it out.

Obviously it's too fucking long. The stock footage is ass. The freeze frames are ass. Making me watch Ariana Grande perform basically a full song is an insult. I think I want Jonah Hill to suffer an industrial accident?

Buuuuuut you can sign me the fuck up for snarky deadpan nihilist JLaw. If this was just 90 minutes mostly about her discovering the comet and then being banned from involving herself as she falls back in to the dead end small town she worked her ass off to escape while waiting for death as the government becomes more and more unhinged? That's a movie. The tone of this one is all over the fucking place. Rather than being a biting critique of the media and politics it exports a bunch of characters from Idiocracy? There's a couple subtle bits sprinkled in here and there but nothing to make up for the fucking nose dive the film takes when it becomes MAGA versus Climate Change and Leo lecturing the audience about how can they just not see what is before there eyes. Then the film tries to have a grounded Deep Impact style conclusion but then a zany final ending and a zany after credits scene?

Aside from 90 minute dark comedy staring defeated nihilist JLaw how about this. You play the first act of the movie straight. It's Deep Impact. It's Contact. Our characters make their discovery, they inform their superiors, they're before the president, a plan is formulated, etc etc etc. We see it put in to motion (swelling music, montage, the world coming together) and then it is the day of the launch. A fleet of rockets are launched, nukes ready. Then the whole mission is aborted. Our Rule 63 Lady Trump made the call.

Gill Bates has a better plan! It turns out the entire comet is made of rare minerals, gold, diamonds, platinum and more! WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE RICH. That's right, America just went totally off the reservation and they did it for money. A new plan is formed and at the zero hour Lady Trump informs Russia, India, China and the entire continent of Africa that their help is no longer required and they will also no longer be receiving a cut. A full 100% of the comet is the property of the United States of America and its allies.

Then Gill Bates plan fails and it gets everyone killed. America got everyone killed for money.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
If you can ignore the obvious association between comet denialism and Trump supporters that they made, this was actually a really fucking funny movie imho, and one of the better things I've seen in the last year. Lots of great one-liners, DeCaprio nails the anxiety ridden professor role and JLAW is great. Most of the casting is spot-on. Not sure where the dislike is coming from, this movie had quality writing and casting, not to mention I actually laughed at a movie scene for what felt like the first time in years.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you can ignore the obvious association between comet denialism and Trump supporters that they made, this was actually a really fucking funny movie imho, and one of the better things I've seen in the last year. Lots of great one-liners, DeCaprio nails the anxiety ridden professor role and JLAW is great. Most of the casting is spot-on. Not sure where the dislike is coming from, this movie had quality writing and casting, not to mention I actually laughed at a movie scene for what felt like the first time in years.

It was just too fucking long.

It is my favorite JLaw performance though.

edit - I can explain what I didn't like a little better I think.

The movie needed absurd violence. Ron Perlman's character needed to get reduced to chunky salsa during the aborted mission. When Not Steve Jobs is cooing over his gigantic fucking robot one of the legs needs to give out and he needs to be squashed like a fucking bug with blood gushing everywhere. I kept expecting Starship Troopers Mars Attacks over the top gore and it just never came. The last scene with Lady Trump was a perfect time for everyone to just get fucking torn apart like Starship Troopers. IT WAS AN UGLY PLANET, A BUG PLANET and just tear everyone limb from limb.

father I crave violence cat.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
This is brutal. No value, would rather get kicked in the nuts.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
They can have their movies with red hat science deniers as long as I can have my movies back that show trannies as weirdos and durkas as terries.
tumblr_3fa2de4fe3166bd6461447189ec3aed6_cd084229_500.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So I'm 9 minutes in and the military shows up to shove them into a C130. As someone who deals with way too many military people, I'm well aware of the special quality that C130s have of being especially slow. Come the fuck on now. They literally have half the speed of commercial jets. On top of that they frequently do hard banking maneuvers to check the strap in abilities of such service members who fell asleep during the long ride.

• 1Great Review

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Did not finish. The group of people in the movie just make this shit to jerk each other off and talk about how great they are.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Big meh movie. Best part was the running joke about the general charging them for White House snacks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I thought this was hilarious. What's wrong with you people? Could've been a bit shorter though.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought this was hilarious. What's wrong with you people? Could've been a bit shorter though.
100% agree. Everyone was expecting something academy award winning it seems. But its a hilarious satire making fun of politics and the current climate of the word. Jonah Hill was so damn funny.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It was depressingly accurate of the current state of the world. Funny but also depressing.

There is a final scene after the credits with Jonah that sums it up so well.

last person alive on earth and still attached to his device and social media.

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

100% agree. Everyone was expecting something academy award winning it seems. But its a hilarious satire making fun of politics and the current climate of the word. Jonah Hill was so damn funny.

It's not a satire that makes fun of politics. It's a satire that makes fun on conservatives and how dumb everyone is for listening to them instead of the perfect liberals who only care about facts and science

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users