Don't Look Up (2021)

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's not a satire that makes fun of politics. It's a satire that makes fun on conservatives and how dumb everyone is for listening to them instead of the perfect liberals who only care about facts and science
So it hurt your feelers? Feels bad man. Laugh at a joke.

• 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You realize Hollywood is 100% liberal right? This isnt a joke, its a message. It would be a joke if Hollywood and the media was remotely politically balanced.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Feel like you didn't read a lot of our opinions on it.

The jokes were fine...up until a point. And that point was after about 45 to 60 minutes of beating that horse. And then they do it for another hour.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I like when Leo acts as a mouthpiece for climate change

1641230632221.png

while owning shit like a mega yacht and taking a private jet to eco fundraisers and all that other jazz all while working in an industry that turns massive amounts of energy and materials in to entertainment products we all forget about two week after their release. I'm not being sarcastic either. This is one area where them all being mega hypocrites makes me smile.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Well I thought it was anti-progressive in how it handled tech & social media.
I thought it was balanced in who it poked fun at and if all you focused on was the conservative angle then that's on you.
I'd say the bigger message was it shooting a giant warning about tech companies & social media.

Edit: I mean, the end of the world literally happened due to the tech company wanting material to make more tech...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I generally don't give a shit about politics or messages in movies. I thought it was only mildly funny from a purely comedy standpoint. Thinking back on it, I can only remember two or three times that it actually got me to laugh out loud. Humor is subjective, so if you thought it was a laugh a minute, good on you. I think I would have found it funnier if they had gone way more towards comedy and ditched the drama. They kind of walked the line between the two and it didn't really feel like a solid comedy or a solid drama.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If the humor was dryer across the board with more of the story played straight I'd have liked it more. Not Steve Jobs convincing Lady Trump to abort a mission to divert the comet so we could instead profit from it and then cutting out China, Russia and India from any of the spoils and then dooming the world is plenty. You don't need the pseudo Idiocracy characters on top.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I thought it was balanced in who it poked fun at and if all you focused on was the conservative angle then that's on you.
I'd say the bigger message was it shooting a giant warning about tech companies & social media.

Edit: I mean, the end of the world literally happened due to the tech company wanting material to make more tech...
"Don't Look Up" references the liberal belief that everyone other than themselves is willfully ignorant of the TRUTH that's right in front of their faces. There's no self reflection on their own positions, which are often hyper-focused on a single issue and wholly disregard all nuance, context and consequences. No, it's not a balanced narrative.

A proper critique on the left would have had a gender-fluid president claiming that white supremacy has a measurable gravitational pull that acts as a homing beacon for celestial objects. The 2nd half of the movie wouldn't be full of red hat wearing retards refusing to look up. It would be a gleeful, government-sanctioned genocide of all white people followed by a 10km comet slamming into a planet inhabited by confused black and brown people standing on a pile of white corpses.

• 5Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 6 users

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
You realize Hollywood is 100% liberal right? This isnt a joke, its a message. It would be a joke if Hollywood and the media was remotely politically balanced.
Not even close to accurate. The big bad "Hollywood" is made up of both sides. What you're upset with are the writers, and good luck changing that. Artists (writers, singers, painters, etc.) tend to be liberals, just like farmers, critics, and the military tend to be conservatives. A liberal farmer isn't gonna work any better than a conservative sculptor would. Just wired differently. Right brain vs. left brain thinking. And that's okay. The world needs both.

And dude, the most watched news outlet in the U.S. is extremely conservative: Fox News.

Check your outrage.

• 2Pathetic
  • 2Seriously?
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not even close to accurate. The big bad "Hollywood" is made up of both sides. What you're upset with are the writers, and good luck changing that. Artists (writers, singers, painters, etc.) tend to be liberals, just like farmers, critics, and the military tend to be conservatives. A liberal farmer isn't gonna work any better than a conservative sculptor would. Just wired differently. Right brain vs. left brain thinking. And that's okay. The world needs both.

And dude, the most watched news outlet in the U.S. is extremely conservative: Fox News.

Check your outrage.

You gotta try harder with these alts. Make it worth while.

• 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

You realize most of his character is based on Elon Musk, right? Someone the left absolutely hates for no good reason. While there is some Zuckerberg in there as well, the left doesn't even realize he's their ally and thinks Facebook censoring mostly conservatives is just because the left is always right.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

It would help if they were funny.

You're probably the type that loves Adam Sandler movies and is the reason why Hollywood keeps shoveling out shit

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You realize most of his character is based on Elon Musk, right? Someone the left absolutely hates for no good reason. While there is some Zuckerberg in there as well, the left doesn't even realize he's their ally and thinks Facebook censoring mostly conservatives is just because the left is always right.
Eh, whatever. I got a Steve Jobs vibe mostly. He definitely seemed to combine a majority of the tech personalities into 1 person.
His eccentricities were very Musk or Zuckerberg - I'd say more Zuckerberg tbh.
The "Algorithms" are very Google / Facebook / Twitter

The only Musk angle I saw was his personality & the space tech. IMO the other qualities were messaged more - Social Media / Algos

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
This film almost worked, but the 'open mic comedy night' shtick kept ruining it, for me anyway.

Did the director just let the actors run with whatever they thought would sound funny, without reigning them in? With that stuff taken out, it could have been a very good film.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Eh, whatever. I got a Steve Jobs vibe mostly. He definitely seemed to combine a majority of the tech personalities into 1 person.
His eccentricities were very Musk or Zuckerberg - I'd say more Zuckerberg tbh.
The "Algorithms" are very Google / Facebook / Twitter

The only Musk angle I saw was his personality & the space tech. IMO the other qualities were messaged more - Social Media / Algos

I mean, his personality and all the space tech is like 95% of his character. Otherwise you just have his conversation with Leo's character and him telling Meryl Streep how she'll die

Caliane

I'm not sure who the big tech guy was really supposed to be. all of them?
stage presence, personality, etc was all Jobs. but weird to parody jobs after hes gone. elon, branson, and bezos all are involved in space travel. do note, this was made pre-covid. before the left decided they love fascism and big tech, and corporations. so, when you think about what its parodying. its all circa 2016-2017. notice there wasn't even any "russian collusion".

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure who the big tech guy was really supposed to be. all of them?
stage presence, personality, etc was all Jobs. but weird to parody jobs after hes gone. elon, branson, and bezos all are involved in space travel. do note, this was made pre-covid. before the left decided they love fascism and big tech, and corporations. so, when you think about what its parodying. its all circa 2016-2017. notice there wasn't even any "russian collusion".

It was filmed November 2020 to February 2021, and scripts change a lot during the shooting process. So I wouldn't say it's all circa 2016-17.

The main inspiration for the story is climate change. "Trust the science." "It's right there in front of our faces"., etc.

Overall the movie is majorly flawed and not funny. It's just depressing, like I said originally. It felt like I was watching a super long SNL skit or something. I was watching well known actors play a part but I kept seeing Dicaprio, Jonah, Jlaw, Streep. Without the star power I would never have watched this.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
movie was pretty boring, only made it maybe 45 minutes in without a single laugh. Thought this was supposed to be a comedy? It sure as fuck didnt work as anything else (drama, action, etc). So an unfunny "Comedy". Noped right out of that one.

Everyone is saying Meryl Streep was supposed to be lady trump? But she is literally playing Hilary Clinton for the 45 minutes of the film I saw. Even had a picture of her with Bill in the beginning. Maybe she detours later in the film to try and represent Trump (ppl are saying it was delayed and maybe went through different writers/reshouts?) but 100% for the first half of the film she is channeling Hilary Clinton. doesnt care about facts only about polling numbers and mid terms. only cares about how she looks to everyone. Full retard, maybe dementia a bit? etc. Hillary to a T.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users