Doomed as a nation

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah. It makes perfect sense the way Borzak explained it, but if you'd asked me before today, I would've said that they'd be exactly 2" by 4", maybe with a small variance.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I think I'm gonna go to Home Depot and get some penny nails, and then bitch up a storm when they cost more than one cent.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Because of the way the legal system works in this nation now will be out measing all kinds of shit that they never knew what they actually measured and were sold with a nomimal size as a label.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Dude, it's one judge in a state court. Relax.

You've got some valid points, but you're going a little too mad.

Borzak

If you know; what happens to the extra wood? Is it waste, or does it get turned into pulp/whatever?
Depends on the mill. Some mills burn it to power the mill, some mills sell it for a vartiety of stuff. Some use it in paper and stuff like MDF.

The new mills will iterally take a tree top that's barely larger than a rouge cut 2x4 and cut out the outside part leaving only the 2x4 left. Chip in saw. It has giagantic cutter that spins and only leaves what is desired without a cutting/mill operation seperate

86338.jpg

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Alright, there's a case to be made that this custom results in the mill making more money by selling the customer less than they expected, then.

Borzak

I'm made because the judge apparently can't educate himself, someone is going to have to pay for his stupidity. Most likely the consumer.

Even most 2x4's are actually 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" but they're even that. It's a natural product so I guess the next person is going to sue that it's actually 1-3/8" x 3-1/2"

I guess when I buy a new battery it will have to be labeled as a 12.6 volt battery with a range of 11.5 to 13.8 volts. Total asshatery.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Not joking no. I'd love to see a survey of responses to "what are the measurements of a 2x4, etc" asked of the general public.
Who the fuck works with wood and doesn't use a tape measure? Its been this way for lifetimes. Everyone should know it by now.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you're the kind of person where a 2x4 not being exactly 2"x4" actually matters, you're also the kind of person who already knows that a 2x4 isn't exactly 2"x4"

Borzak

Going to sue McDonalds. I'm betting my 1/4 pounder isn't actually a 1/4 pounder once it's cooked lol.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's why you measure and mark the way that you do. I guess it could matter, if you justassumedthat every angle was square and every line was straight... but it wouldn't be a fault of the materials it would be a fault in the construction.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I'm going to buy a mill and make sure the finished product is exactly 2x4.

Just to fuck with construction workers.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Going to sue McDonalds. I'm betting my 1/4 pounder isn't actually a 1/4 pounder once it's cooked lol.
McDonalds does denote the quarter pounders as "pre-cooked weight." Guess lumber companies need to throw out a "pre-finished milling dimension" caveat.

In fairness, till I had to start building some of my own shit I just assumed the numbers meant actual measurements as well. My first woodworking project went quite awry because I didn't know this. I was very quickly edumacated by my local hardware store when I tried to return all my lumber because I thought was shorted. Later, when I tried to blame my Dad for not teaching me this shit he just looked at me with disgust and told me it was knowledge every man should know inherently. I felt shame.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Anyone that's actually buying 2x4s should already know that it's really 1.5x3.5, pretty sure that's in the first chapter of the manual to get your man card. It's always been like that and hundreds of millions of board feet of lumber have been sold for decades like that.

It's a really stupid ruling that if applied to every lumber retailer that's ever sold a 2x4 then it would dwarf the penalties that big tobacco has incurred over the past twenty years. Of course it's contained to one dumbass state judge, but it's still retarded.