Doomed as a nation

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
A better solution would be for Americans to stop measuring things by the furlong per fortnight and actually employ real units of measurement.
We get it, you hate imperial measurements. It also has absolutely zero to do with this issue, because as I mentioned before, if it were in centimeters or millimeters or fagmeters, it still wouldn't be the stated size because of the practice of giving the measurement before the final product is produced. That is the issue at hand, not the units we use.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This thread is a pretty good example of Duppin's posts: bitching about stuff he knows nothing about!!!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A lot of insecure dudes in here talking about revoking man cards.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Even rough cut 2x4's are not 2"x4". It's not a piece of plastic or milled metal.

Measure twice, cut once.

It's the same people who complain that the 2x4 has sweep in it is because they cut trees too soon instead of "old growth" (LOL in itself) trees.

No, the reason you see a lot of 2x4's now with mass amounts of sweep in them they are cut on a sash gang saw, basically like a band saw blade attached to a frame where a bunch are side by side. The operator can follow the sweep of the tree. It doesn't matter if the tree leans over from 0 at the bottom to 45 midway up you can still cut a series of 2x4's out of it by following the sweep.

It's a natural product.

curvesawing.jpg
If I ever have any questions related to Lumber, I shall come to you sir.

My Dad explained to me that 2X4's are not 2'' by 4'', so I suppose my Dad gave me a man card.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
An architect was recently drawing up plans for a wood frame structure and I corrected them on making this same mistake.

I felt real smart, but i would imagine on the 2nd day of school they would be like "BY THE WAY ABOUT WOOD"

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We get it, you hate imperial measurements. It also has absolutely zero to do with this issue, because as I mentioned before, if it were in centimeters or millimeters or fagmeters, it still wouldn't be the stated size because of the practice of giving the measurement before the final product is produced. That is the issue at hand, not the units we use.
He is also stupid because the Germans (and the rest of the EU) do the same thing with their boards. They are labelled 50mm x 100mm but they are really like 40 x 90 most of the time.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
There are standards for how small a 2x4 can be at a given moisture content, I'm not sure if this entered in here or not. But a 2x4 isn't 2"x4" at any period now even before stuck in the kiln or allowed to air dry.
I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but from what I read while Googling, it wasn't just that the lumber wasn't an advertised dimension, the lumber didn't even meet the minimum NIST requirements. So with a 2x4, they may have been selling 2x4s that were actually less than the NIST standard of 1.5" x 3.5". So this really isn't a story about the DA being ignorant that a 2x4 isn't literally 2"x4", it's that Lowes was buying and selling some lumber without making sure that it met NIST measurement standards and they got caught.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but from what I read while Googling, it wasn't just that the lumber wasn't an advertised dimension, the lumber didn't even meet the minimum NIST requirements. So with a 2x4, they may have been selling 2x4s that were actually less than the NIST standard of 1.5" x 3.5". So this really isn't a story about the DA being ignorant that a 2x4 isn't literally 2"x4", it's that Lowes was buying and selling some lumber without making sure that it met NIST measurement standards and they got caught.
BUT, BUT, OUTRAGE AND MANLINESS .....

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Linkage or are you Misting all over the thread?

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He is also stupid because the Germans (and the rest of the EU) do the same thing with their boards. They are labelled 50mm x 100mm but they are really like 40 x 90 most of the time.
Doubtly, since construction wood or whatever should be sized to fit the norms of DIN (German Industrial Norm) and EN (Euro Norm) number336limiting variation to around 1.5mm.

Also im gonna bring a ruler should i ever buy a 4x4

rrr_img_76142.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
dont forget to bring a bucket of gasoline to burn whatever ugly fucking thing you buy

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Another example of the courts pursuit of legalism rather than justice in this country.

We need to stretch their necks one by one.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Linkage or are you Misting all over the thread?
Do you really think I'd do that?

District Attorney OKs Nominal Lumber Descriptions | Remodeling

One of the district attorney's offices involved in the widely-criticized $1.6 million Lowe's 2x4 settlement said it's "not misleading" to call 2x4 a 2x4,provided you meet existing nominal standards set forth by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). The NIST defines a 2x4 as measuring 1.5 inches by 3.5 inches.

?If it?s a softwood product like 2x4 lumber and it actually meets the NIST standards, then they don?t need to [include] the actual dimensions," saidMarin County Deputy District Attorney Andy Perezin an interview with REMODELING. Meet that 1.5-inch by 3.5-inch standard, explained Perez, and you're free to call it a 2x4.

Perez said the problem arose when California inspectors found that Lowe's advertised dimensional building products under nominal descriptions when they didn't actually fit the standards set forth by the NIST.Some of those descriptions, stated the Marin County district attorney's office, were provided to Lowe's by the manufacturers or other suppliers of the lumber.
Or you can read through this, like page 3 or so:

http://cdnassets.hw.net/8f/fa/17292a...-judgement.pdf

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No, I just wanted to bait you into actually reading it all for me.

Thank you, now i know Borzak needs to do more research.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I already knew there were standards. The only thing that makes sense is someone had a hard on for Lowes. Lowes doesn't own mills. Walk in to any other Lowes, Home Deport or other lumberyard and you'll find the same results like as small as 1-1/4".