DOTA 2

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
From the TI3 Retrospective of the 6.77 -> 6.78 Patch - a Nice little chart which compares Vhigh to Normal bracket games and the hero selections there in.
rrr_img_42038.jpg

The interesting thing to me was how many carries in normal games (especially ones that are very straight forward in how they play) and that is about what I would have expected if I'd been blindly polled. A really common sentiment is that "to win I must carry, regardless of what my team picks". The chart bears that out a lot.

The best estimate of bracket distribution is around 80%/15%/5% - but by his tests the stat dude has had 83%/13%/4% and 84%/13%/3%

http://dotametrics.wordpress.com/201...-2013-edition/Link from March.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I am interested, but I don't know if I will be able to play or not. If I can, it will only be for like one game.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The interesting thing to me was how many carries in normal games (especially ones that are very straight forward in how they play) and that is about what I would have expected if I'd been blindly polled. A really common sentiment is that "to win I must carry, regardless of what my team picks". The chart bears that out a lot.
As I'm between jobs right now and playing so much, 160 games now in about weeks, it really is amazing in normal bracket how almost every single game is all carries and whoever wins is basically whoever can get the upper hand in ganking/communication. I think I've played 7-8 games today and at least half were against all melee carry usually Slark/Huskar/Riki/Pudge and some other random shit, the best is that at the first sign of trouble they usually start leaving. I have about 10 more heroes to go before I've played them all and I'll start narrowing down the choices to hopefully get a lot better and out of this shit bracket.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I wish I would have made it to Very High before Dota 2 went free to play. Lost a lot of games in the past 20 or so. Of course my play is not perfect, but there were several games where my teammates are just not good players. There was a few games that both teams were good and they were close that my team lost, which was fun to me. Being down 15 or 20 kills in 20 minutes, unable to forfeit, and team just not giving a fuck? Real fun time.

I love how Valve has no problem with people speaking different languages than the host server. There is no teamwork when you can only communicate through pings because pings do not do anything half of the time without context. If a person doesn't say or type an English sentence in my games, I just report them for communication abuse. At least give a missing call.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I love how Valve has no problem with people speaking different languages than the host server. There is no teamwork when you can only communicate through pings because pings do not do anything half of the time without context. If a person doesn't say or type an English sentence in my games, I just report them for communication abuse. At least give a missing call.
Hah, me and tecknoe just went through this bullshit. When asked why they queue on those servers they would respond that it's not ther prob.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Yes clearly people make it to the very magical very high place by playing before it went free to play o_O

My friend started playing 3 weeks ago from hon and hes already queuing very high solo so...

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Yes clearly people make it to the very magical very high place by playing before it went free to play o_O

My friend started playing 3 weeks ago from hon and hes already queuing very high solo so...
Then can you explain to me how the system works because I've played Very High to High games my whole time playing Dota 2. All my friends that I play with normally are High, except the one who is the same as me (VH/H). I play a few games in VH, then H for awhile, then back to VH. Rinse and repeat. My game is not perfect, but neither is the Very High player's games.

I bet your friend just queued with other VH players, is a good player too, and just road his way to VH. Now he queues in VH solo. I queue solo for the majority of my games, started in High and have mainly stayed in High except for during winning streaks(4+). Though with the quality of games now I cannot see that ever happening again.

Regardless, after the free to play the quality of games has gone down and my play has not changed drastically which was the point I was getting at, not the VH vs H debate.

Edit: Also I can admit my weakest point in this game is warding/counter warding in the jungle. I always see graphs and I just never remember the exact spots.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Then can you explain to me how the system works because I've played Very High to High games my whole time playing Dota 2. All my friends that I play with normally are High, except the one who is the same as me (VH/H). I play a few games in VH, then H for awhile, then back to VH. Rinse and repeat. My game is not perfect, but neither is the Very High player's games.

I bet your friend just queued with other VH players, is a good player too, and just road his way to VH. Now he queues in VH solo. I queue solo for the majority of my games, started in High and have mainly stayed in High except for during winning streaks(4+). Though with the quality of games now I cannot see that ever happening again.

Regardless, after the free to play the quality of games has gone down and my play has not changed drastically which was the point I was getting at, not the VH vs H debate.

Edit: Also I can admit my weakest point in this game is warding/counter warding in the jungle. I always see graphs and I just never remember the exact spots.
That's not how it works, ohmgee and me are very high and about 90% of our grouped matchmaking is with normal/high players, and theyneverget very high games when they solo queue.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Then the system doesn't work, but obviously we all knew that.

Regardless, going back and looking at my replays, my win streaks put me into Very High replayed games and then I was going back to High. Maybe VH/H doesn't mean anything at all then. If it doesn't work like that, then it is just straight up magic. I haven't checked that in months because I took a break through the Summer, but that is how it worked for me nearly 6 months ago.

Del

Vyemm Raider
How would we do teams? Also I'm wondering if I could bring in a few friends who don't post here but who I play with regularly.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
That was alot of fun tonight. Hopefully we keep this up and iron out the few difficulties and be able to put together a small inhouse tourny.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the couple games - good insight into what we might need to do for balancing purposes I had a good time! Sorry Cyni!