DOTA 2

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I think about that a lot...I’m like, I hope these kids know they can pretty much be set for life more or less with the proper discipline and investing. Daydream type shit.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It took 8 years to disrupt the balance. Easily the best TI I can remember. The story surrounding this one was amazing.

32382385_195094137791891_3752532601760382976_n.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I fell asleep in g2, woke in g4 to OD's screaming at the comeback, fell asleep again, woke to OD's screaming at the comeback in g5 and watched Notail grab the Aegis. I feel like I got the highlight reel straight away.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I do love how OG turned the tournament meta on its head. The main strategy of the tournament was crush lanes, win game. OG lost their laning stage like 90% of the time, and came back in the mid to late game with exceptional plays from Topson/Jerax/Ana (and a couple times from Seb). Reminds me a bit of TI4 where VG waltzed on through with their deathball strategy only for Newbee to be like, "Fuck all that" and just beat them playing their own style.

Also roster shuffle drama is starting early this year, as the break before the new season is much shorter than last year. Roster Shuffle Drama

Needless

Toe Sucker
They have to, the new season is in less than a month hah

I actually like the idea of the current Optic team with Universe

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The current meta is to win lanes.

OG meta uses tactical buybacks to take advantage of comeback mechanics.

Theoretically, OG would still be better off winning lanes and using tactical buybacks. But in practice, I think winning the lanes puts offensive teams into a false sense of complacency which makes tactical buybacks possible.

Needless

Toe Sucker
OG really was by far the best team to utilize buybacks

also, the WR on the last draft per heroes lmao

E6Jj6Jr.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
From what I heard it will actually be VGJ Storm’s roster becoming the new Optic with Universe replacing Sneyking. I don’t think Universe would transfer to Optic in its current form.

Speaking of, I feel like eSports and organizations are becoming more developed and professional but it leads me to wondering how entire teams get transferred to entire other teams? Like, do they receive an offer and the current roster gets kicked to the curb and they become the new face of a brand name team as a whole or is it more personal? Sometimes I can’t tell how much is run by just players and how much managers and coaches and corporate types/investors call the shots.

Last edited:

Needless

Toe Sucker
Oh yeah you're totally right, i misread that lol

I'm just glad he's going to be off that clown eternalenvy's team lol

• 1Like

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I do love how OG turned the tournament meta on its head. The main strategy of the tournament was crush lanes, win game. OG lost their laning stage like 90% of the time, and came back in the mid to late game with exceptional plays from Topson/Jerax/Ana (and a couple times from Seb). Reminds me a bit of TI4 where VG waltzed on through with their deathball strategy only for Newbee to be like, "Fuck all that" and just beat them playing their own style.

Also roster shuffle drama is starting early this year, as the break before the new season is much shorter than last year. Roster Shuffle Drama
I don't think it was in any way turned on its head, pretty much all the games started as 2-1-2 with eventual teamfight around 10 minutes, rosh and then basically running at each other until you are blue in the face. There was no real rat, no splitpush, to win you had to take 5v5. The timings differed throughout the tournament, but even with heroes like spectre you couldn't afford to give up that early rosh etc. There's always the risk that you just get run over in the lanes and lose outright by second rosh, so it makes sense that most teams played it safe from the start. Also the talents and Aghs give some relevance to evey hero, even in the lategame.

The current mechanics punish losing a lane even with a solo offlaner way too hard since you get close to no xp and jungle is terrible at the start. Thaat also destroys most of the trilanes.

Last edited:

Jovec

?
Be interesting to see how OpenAI type stuff changes the game. My personal pet peeve is to teach teams how to buyback, but with $10+ million on the line, how long until a team/org has full-time devs and stat guys renting cloud time to run simulations against the teams/comps they are playing against look for specific strategies.

Last edited:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So I assume Valve won't give a shit about the NA viewers for TI9 which most likely means all the games will be unwatchable live, at least for us East coasters. I understand why they're going to Shanghai but it still sucks. Watching it live is a great experience.

Cybsled

Ya, I'll be fortunate to catch some "late" matches in the early AM EST, but that is about it ;/

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I assume Valve won't give a shit about the NA viewers for TI9 which most likely means all the games will be unwatchable live, at least for us East coasters. I understand why they're going to Shanghai but it still sucks. Watching it live is a great experience.

Meh, I was up until 5am last night for the finals. In previous years I took time off work for it lol

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Best TI ever. Games were amazing, OG storyline, great grand finals with only TI3 finals being close to as good, talent and production did a great job. Fucking home run.
Also the coach for OG is pretty fucking chill. I loved his commentary after the drafts.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Now we just need notail to tweet him smashing Evany (OG's Manager/Fly's GF) in some tropical country after winning TI