Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
She's hot, and when I agreed with her I liked her command to get shit done, but man I've been with chicks like that. You either end up at each other's throats, or she turns you into her bitch.

In Video Game Fantasy times, the 'reality' is being of the mind set I am now, I'd probably be bitch smacking her anytime she spoke out of turn. In which case I'm sure she'd have snuck up on me as a spider in the middle of the night and face fucked me.

So I'm sure it's been answered already, but If I buy this. Will it make a flying fuck of a difference if I didn't play the second one, because everyone said it was shit...
Hawke was a guy. Varric was a good character. Cassandra bitches at varric that sets the story structure. Cullen was in it and was the big bosses little bitch for it. Shit started when a gay possesed (in a good way..ish) mage Anders blew up a building to start the mage /templar stuff. Which is not the same building that was blown up before this game to complicate events...

Leliana was super hot in some DLC. Red lyrium caused problems. You now know dragon age 2. It was definitely written to work with Dragon age 3 narratively. The whole varric/Cassandra deal works better..but its hardly necessary.

Also play as a girl. It fits better imo. Likee most people like fem Shep on mass effect.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
She's hot, and when I agreed with her I liked her command to get shit done, but man I've been with chicks like that. You either end up at each other's throats, or she turns you into her bitch.

In Video Game Fantasy times, the 'reality' is being of the mind set I am now, I'd probably be bitch smacking her anytime she spoke out of turn. In which case I'm sure she'd have snuck up on me as a spider in the middle of the night and face fucked me.

So I'm sure it's been answered already, but If I buy this. Will it make a flying fuck of a difference if I didn't play the second one, because everyone said it was shit...
I played the first one a couple of times through, but not the second. I have been playing the hell out of the third one. 55 hours in now. There are times I don't really know what they're talking about but it's easy enough to figure out as you go along, personally I think the details of the story aren't that great anyway, I just know...Mages vs. Templars, there are dragons and a bad guy...kill shit, it's fun.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Hawke was a guy. Varric was a good character. Cassandra bitches at varric that sets the story structure. Cullen was in it and was the big bosses little bitch for it. Shit started when a gay possesed (in a good way..ish) mage Anders blew up a building to start the mage /templar stuff. Which is not the same building that was blown up before this game to complicate events...

Leliana was super hot in some DLC. Red lyrium caused problems. You now know dragon age 2. It was definitely written to work with Dragon age 3 narratively. The whole varric/Cassandra deal works better..but its hardly necessary.

Also play as a girl. It fits better imo. Likee most people like fem Shep on mass effect.
Ok, that's a pretty fair explanation. I doubt I'm going to roll a chick tho

I know the Anders character (I bought the DLC), he was a little bitch if I remember correctly. Actually I remember I bought the DLC for a second playthrough where I did roll a chick 'dexterity' warrior, because I was using a passive evade stat on certain equipment that you could max out and basically become immune to almost every attack. I don't think I beat the DLC because either it got buggy, or the story started to piss me off to much.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Lore post inc. Spoilers.
The last leg of the story at the temple in the Arbor Wilds, plus some of the Solas dialogue, pretty much abolished the idea of there being a 'maker' to me.

From what I gathered, the whole world used to be a lot more like the fade during the time of the elves. Arlathan was the center of this world, and it was ruled by some very powerful elves, the ones they refer to as gods now. Those orbs were likely the source of their power. They eventually became corrupt rulers (red lyrium may have been involved already at this point) and slavery was rampant. Solas, aka Fen'Harel the Dread Wolf, started a revolution against the other 'gods' in an attempt to return some semblance of balance to elven society. He sealed them inside Arlathan, aka the Golden City. Either at this point, or soon afterwards, the Fade and the mortal world became separated, I think something happened at Skyhold ("The Place the Sky Was Held Back") long ago that had something to do with this. He also sealed the 'Forgotten Ones' in the Abyss, which is probably the deep roads, and those are probably the Old God corpses they find down there, not really the Old Gods but just their lifeless bodies.

Regardless, elven society never bounced back after their gods were banished, as no structure rose to replace them, and they were already weak by the time Tevinter ever got there. The Tevinter Imperium rose to power on of what was left of the elven empire, and adopted their culture of slavery and corruption. The Tevinter magisters DID attempt to breach the Golden City to claim the power of the elven 'gods' but didn't like what they found... they unleashed *something* (possible that the old god's souls were what powered those orbs the elven gods used?) but it certainly wasn't the blight, the blight has existed as long as red lyrium has which pre-dates that period by quite a while (the primevial thaig in Dragon Age 2 is filled with the stuff and that place is way older than the Tevinter Imperium.) Mythal may have escaped at this time, or prior, not sure.

Further, it seems clear to me that reason the Orlesian Chantry is so racist against elves is because the truth is likely that Andraste was an elf, or at least had one elven parent. The legends say that most of her supporters were elven slaves of Tevinter so why wouldn't she be an elf too? Or another possibility is that they really make no distinction between the corrupt elven empire and the Tevinter empire that came in an adopted all the same ideals. Regardless, Andraste's rebellion may have been sparked by the Dread Wolf, as that kind of thing is his MO. Heck, the Chantry itself could have been founded with the influence of Solas, learning from his mistakes the first time and creating a structure in the wake of the revolution. There's some good party dialogue between Sera and Solas where Solas lectures her on how to build an effective revolution.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sera/Solas dialogue on revolution if you don't want to play through the whole game again: Can skip to 3:18.

radditsu

Lore post inc. Spoilers.
The last leg of the story at the temple in the Arbor Wilds, plus some of the Solas dialogue, pretty much abolished the idea of there being a 'maker' to me.

From what I gathered, the whole world used to be a lot more like the fade during the time of the elves. Arlathan was the center of this world, and it was ruled by some very powerful elves, the ones they refer to as gods now. Those orbs were likely the source of their power. They eventually became corrupt rulers (red lyrium may have been involved already at this point) and slavery was rampant. Solas, aka Fen'Harel the Dread Wolf, started a revolution against the other 'gods' in an attempt to return some semblance of balance to elven society. He sealed them inside Arlathan, aka the Golden City. Either at this point, or soon afterwards, the Fade and the mortal world became separated, I think something happened at Skyhold ("The Place the Sky Was Held Back") long ago that had something to do with this. He also sealed the 'Forgotten Ones' in the Abyss, which is probably the deep roads, and those are probably the Old God corpses they find down there, not really the Old Gods but just their lifeless bodies.

Regardless, elven society never bounced back after their gods were banished, as no structure rose to replace them, and they were already weak by the time Tevinter ever got there. The Tevinter Imperium rose to power on of what was left of the elven empire, and adopted their culture of slavery and corruption. The Tevinter magisters DID attempt to breach the Golden City to claim the power of the elven 'gods' but didn't like what they found... they unleashed *something* (possible that the old god's souls were what powered those orbs the elven gods used?) but it certainly wasn't the blight, the blight has existed as long as red lyrium has which pre-dates that period by quite a while (the primevial thaig in Dragon Age 2 is filled with the stuff and that place is way older than the Tevinter Imperium.) Mythal may have escaped at this time, or prior, not sure.

Further, it seems clear to me that reason the Orlesian Chantry is so racist against elves is because the truth is likely that Andraste was an elf, or at least had one elven parent. The legends say that most of her supporters were elven slaves of Tevinter so why wouldn't she be an elf too? Or another possibility is that they really make no distinction between the corrupt elven empire and the Tevinter empire that came in an adopted all the same ideals. Regardless, Andraste's rebellion may have been sparked by the Dread Wolf, as that kind of thing is his MO. Heck, the Chantry itself could have been founded with the influence of Solas, learning from his mistakes the first time and creating a structure in the wake of the revolution. There's some good party dialogue between Sera and Solas where Solas lectures her on how to build an effective revolution.
So the chantry doesnt know Alistair is a half elf born of a mage? I find it hard to believe.

Xalara

Golden Squire
With regards to the blight:

There's a few codex entries that hint at the elven gods (aka super powerful mages) trying to reach out to some dark power around the time of the revolution as well. It seems likely that the blight is related to whatever that darkness is. Corypheus also mentions that the magisters "took in" the darkness that they found in the golden city.

radditsu

Also if the old ones are of an elven pantheon..why are they dragons? When dumat was slain by a non warden what form did he take? Do they change forms? Do darkspawn have a clutch of dragons to be infected like the giant vagina spews hurlocks in dragon age 1? I am not entirely convinced about the fade. The old ones may be the only thing holding the consiousness dormant. Things in the fade take aspects..like justice or wisdom or command. Solas even said when they die they return in its own unique form. Ideas do not die. It's like its a consciousness that can lose sight of what it is and then return to the baseline. Aka a living thing. When the magisters set foot in the fade..it upset the balance of his brain. Greed and Malice came to the forefront. ..and now its hit critical mass.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It is?

The party survived the tumble into the fade at Adamant without the mark. Or did they survive because the Inquisitor entered the rift around the same time as them? Either way I guess it is a nitpick since it is clearly stated Corypheus is dead later, it just seems to be a weird way of fi ishing him. Plus if he wasn't dead it'd be pretty poor writing.
He opened it and entered with so I assume that is the difference. There is a possibility they could twist it for the sequel. I know they made a big deal about the physical presence thing so I assumed death but they could take it either way depending if they want to use him as a bad guy again.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
So I see the AI still appears to intentionally defy commands you manually input, the moment you switch off to another character.

Kind of a pain in the ass when you're on the hardest difficulty.

Eonan

Doer of Things
So I see the AI still appears to intentionally defy commands you manually input, the moment you switch off to another character.

This has been my biggest gripe on my latest playthough (hardcore or whatever the highest one is). Cassandra will NOT stay on a single target, especially during dragon fights. I'll set her to attack the front leg, or head of the dragon, then move back to my rogue and head towards the rear leg only to have her fucking follow me every single time, leaving the dragon running in circles for the entire god damned fight. Easily the most frustrating aspect of the game for me.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Dragon fights are a pain in the ass because the AI does not understand "Do not stand in front of the dragon" which leads to you having to micromanage them else they become extra crispy.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
This has been my biggest gripe on my latest playthough (hardcore or whatever the highest one is). Cassandra will NOT stay on a single target, especially during dragon fights. I'll set her to attack the front leg, or head of the dragon, then move back to my rogue and head towards the rear leg only to have her fucking follow me every single time, leaving the dragon running in circles for the entire god damned fight. Easily the most frustrating aspect of the game for me.
It's the same problem the AI had in Origins, you have to spend 2 hours going through their behaviors and extensively modify them...usually just to do nothing other than follow discrete orders. Basically The devs left the AI coding to be done by the player.

So apparently the Knight Enchanter is the most OP'd class, AKA the Arcane Warrior, and you can still find away to get Mages to wear armor...Bioware is so predictable.

I wanted to play a dagger Artificer, but it's kinda a pain in the balls early levels on NM.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe it's just me, but artificer seems particularly suited to only archery, providing the much needed escape and close range abilities that you wouldn't get without heavy involvement in the "secondary" trees of the rogue class. I mean, not to mention the focus power ability which is archery only... Archery has fewer, but more powerful abilities that will benefit more from the cooldown reduction, and favors the heavy cc approach that the significant 25% status effect bonus gives to your party... If you spec daggers, you're going to have much more higher stamina regen, and would benefit more from having the large number of abilities you can get which are melee oriented. Tempest seems pretty much melee oriented, while assassin can work for either.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'm also having a lot of problems with controlling my party. I'm glad I did hard and not nightmare because any hard fight is really frustrating. I imagine I'll learn to control them better over time though. The tactical mode camera is shit because you can only see a small area and you can't give move orders in the normal camera, so yeah it's annoying.

This game is also like an MMO with all this shallow content collection quests. I'm hoping it gets better but I don't see what the big deal is with the game so far.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I'm hoping it gets better but I don't see what the big deal is with the game so far.
Get out of the hinterlands and don't do the requisition's. Hinterlands is the least interesting zone and trying to fully complete it is a mistake.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Advance the story tuco and make sure you aren't fighting mobs +4 levels. The hinterlands has pockets of teen level mobs.

radditsu

I did hinterlands until around 10. It made the early game kinda easy until skyhold. Next time i wont do so.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So need some help guys :/. having endless trying to connect to dragon age servers going on in origin.