Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Noob. Rapid Reload / Instant Reload. FTW -- Feats to Win

Won't lie though. My Ranger always used a shockburst composite great bow...
Isn't instant reload an epic level feat? Pssh, longbows for life.

and then it got us Order of the Stick
I am still reading that comic; dude gets sick and hurt often and every time I have about 15 minutes of sympathy and then weeks of WTF, update this shit!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Gents, I'm playing through DA:O for the first time, and I'm getting my ass absolutely whupped. My character is a mage. So right after the battle of Ostagar I headed off to Redcliffe and did all the quests there, up to and including killing that little fucker demon child. Even doing that it seemed like I had to use a shit ton of health and mana potions just to kill the demon. Even fighting the trash in the castle, it felt like I was barely getting through a lot of battles. I was going to head to the Magi Circle or whatever next to try to get the final cure for the Arl Eamon or whatever, but no matter what my travel destination is, I get interrupted with a cut scene of Loghain doing his shit, and then I get attacked by Zevran and his merry mercenaries. And they absolutely fucking destroy me, I have no hope of winning that battle whatsoever. I dunno if I did a shitty job leveling up my characters (I've intentionally avoided wiki's and walkthrough's, trying not to min/max my gaming), but it seems like that fight is way out of my party's level range. I think my characters are all around level 8 or 9 at the moment.

Am I missing something? Is this just shitty game design? Or did my game somehow get bugged and the storyline continuum is all fucked up and I'm being forced to fight through shit I shouldn't otherwise?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I remember the zevhran encounter being more difficult than surrounding boss encounters, so I'm not surprised people are stuck there.

I'd recommend just dropping the difficulty and moving on. If you're only playing on normal the game isn't meant to be difficult anyway.

Re: Mages, they can be OP if you play them right but it's been so long since I played one I have no tips for you! I just remember mana burn being OP against other mages.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Are you burninating your own guys with AE spells?
Nah. Although I do readily admit to being out of practice with party RPG's. Might have to reload an earlier save, because I'm completely out of potions and I can't leave my camp without getting my shit pushed in.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Who else is in your party? A tank helps. And if you don't want to play heal bitch a second mage fully heal specced can be helpful.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Might have too much tank, I was experimenting with having Alistair and Sten, along with my mage dude and Leliana.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nah. Although I do readily admit to being out of practice with party RPG's. Might have to reload an earlier save, because I'm completely out of potions and I can't leave my camp without getting my shit pushed in.
Did you set the correct fighting behaviors for your party? The defaults are actually kinda dumb so you have to make sure your party members are not doing something like wasting mana casting aoe's when a group of mobs are a hundred feet away and there is no one around them.

And like kreug stated you really need to have a dedicated healer in the group even if you are already a mage but specced for dps.

Sten sucks btw.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I was fucking around with the tactics a bit, not sure if I have it well set up or not. But really, Zevran's party is wiping me out in about 30 seconds flat, that seems like I'm just way underpowered for the encounter.

Sulrn

Deuces
Gents, I'm playing through DA:O for the first time, and I'm getting my ass absolutely whupped. My character is a mage. So right after the battle of Ostagar I headed off to Redcliffe and did all the quests there, up to and including killing that little fucker demon child. Even doing that it seemed like I had to use a shit ton of health and mana potions just to kill the demon. Even fighting the trash in the castle, it felt like I was barely getting through a lot of battles. I was going to head to the Magi Circle or whatever next to try to get the final cure for the Arl Eamon or whatever, but no matter what my travel destination is, I get interrupted with a cut scene of Loghain doing his shit, and then I get attacked by Zevran and his merry mercenaries. And they absolutely fucking destroy me, I have no hope of winning that battle whatsoever. I dunno if I did a shitty job leveling up my characters (I've intentionally avoided wiki's and walkthrough's, trying not to min/max my gaming), but it seems like that fight is way out of my party's level range. I think my characters are all around level 8 or 9 at the moment.

Am I missing something? Is this just shitty game design? Or did my game somehow get bugged and the storyline continuum is all fucked up and I'm being forced to fight through shit I shouldn't otherwise?
My first play through I got raped multiple times on the Zev encounter until I realized it was the archers absolutely destroying us before we cleared the pit. CC Zev (or stun and run), burn the mage, then immediately clear the archers on the cliffs. Just use the side that doesn't have traps on it. By the time you clear the archers your party will probably will have killed Zev unless you're microing them to kill archers as well. Whoever you use, just make sure you have as many people knocked down or cc'd as possible and you won't die as fast and can survive with pots.

That encounter made it pretty clear that Archers are almost as powerful as mages.

Lusiphur

Peasant
The rule in Bioware rpgs has always been mages then archers then melee. Just been rediscovering that in Baldurs Gate. As I recall that fight it was the first that needed a ton of micro so that might add to the confusion.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the first couple times I got my ass handed to me was at 2am on Monday morning when I couldn't sleep, so I was a bit bleary eyed and not thinking great. Re-loaded a save from when I was still in Redcliffe, stocked up on a couple more health/lyrium poultices (and realized that I was only out of the "lesser" ones, still had plenty of the regular ones), changed my party up a bit, leveled my mage and Alistair a bit differently, took a deeper look at the tactics for my party, and made sure I micromanaged my characters better. Ended up getting through the battle fine on the first try, although my mage main still got killed if only because I was being cheap on poultices.

Main thing was taking out the other mage ASAP. Fireball is ridiculous, both in terms of being used against you and using it against foes.