Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I did something weird in DA:O and Leilana totally friend zoned me despite all the gifts she received.
What happened was you got her approval too high before her required conversation triggered; in order to fix it you need to give her things she hates, bump down her approval, get the convo started so she intiates with you, then get the approval high again.

None of it matters because of the whole "edit save game" thing that they have.

Variise

N00b
More details got released for those that care about specs:

Confirmed: #DAI resolution is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on Xbox One. We maximized the current potential of each platform.

Also here are the PC System Requirements:

Recommended:
CPU: AMD six core CPU @ 3.2 GHz, Intel quad core CPU @ 3.0 GHz
System RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Graphics Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
DirectX 11

Minimum:
CPU: AMD quad core CPU @ 2.5 GHz, Intel quad core CPU @ 2.0 GHz
System RAM: 4 GB
Graphics CARD: AMD Radeon HD 4870, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
DirectX 10

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
More details got released for those that care about specs:

Confirmed: #DAI resolution is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on Xbox One. We maximized the current potential of each platform.
Can't help but think the "we have maximized" line comes from the backlash against AC Unity. Which is good, because developers that downgrade and make the lowest platform the standard should get backlash.

Anyways, regarding this game, one part I did not know about. Saw a hands on lately, and he was talking about having trouble in an encounter because the party he was given by the developers did not have a healer in it.

That has now been confirmed to be the case in terms of the entire game

Bioware Reveals Dragon Age Inquisition Details in New Live Stream

Some of the included features in today's live stream were:

1. We can fast travel from the War table.

2. There will be Necromancy in the game but no blood magic.

3. We can not use healing spells and they are not in the game. In order to heal, we will need to use potions or a healing grenade. This will form a "healing area" that heals anyone inside it.

4. Tactical Camera featured and explained: We will be able to pause combat at any time and give order to our teammates. We can tell them where to go, what action to take, etc. It can be done multiple times during battle. If we are losing the battle, we can disengage and run away which they highly recommend we do early on.

5. It will run at 900P and 30FPs on consoles. PC specs not given out yet.

6. There is no swimming in the game. Due to problems that could arise if we are wearing heavy armor, light armor or different weapons, Bioware opted out of swimming.

7. Fall damage will recover over time, but very slowly.
This was said on a livestream October 9th. So point 5 was changed after the stream regarding the PS4 displaying at 1080p.

The non healer part was further talked about in a dev post

No healing spells whatsoever - Scuttlebutt - The BioWare Forum

A lot of people are picturing trying to play DAO/2 with no heals. Of course that wouldn't work, those games weren't balanced for that. But how well were they balanced with heals, really? I'm not a numbers guy, but I like a good fight. And here's what made it make sense for me.

There's a very simple reason why this is a good decision, and it's also why the balance in DAO/2 was all over the map. It's in the question "How many health points does a player have?" Because we need to know this before we can design an encounter and know how balanced it is.

So, how many HP? Well, we'd hope it starts with "somewhere between the minimum for a mage and the max for a warrior, varied based on party makeup." Okay, good place to start. That's a real number. We can build encounters that do somewhere within that range of total damage + effects.

Now add in healing. How many HP does the player have? "Somewhere between the minimum for a mage and the max for a warrior, plus somewhere between the minimum and maximum number of healing spells/potions and between the min/max of their mana/potions."

Okay, how much HP is that exactly? Since potions restore mana, and potions also restored HP, the actual number of potential HP was somewhere between the minimum for a mage and the total amount of gold you had available to spend on potions. And the later in the game it was, the more the top reached astronomical numbers. And so the greatest power the player had in previous games was not any one of their abilities, it was the ability to make the number of HP impossible to estimate.

And to counter effectively infinite HP, "balance" meant we needed to hit the player with far more potential damage than their characters could withstand, and do it all but instantly. In effect, replacing HP damage (unknown limits) with death/resurrection (known limits). Or we had to stop them from chaining potions, meaning more enemies that put them to sleep or confused them, or otherwise made the player not able to take action. Alpha strikes and crowd control, neither of which were tactics that were fun to face again and again, because they "balanced" by removing actions, by removing control.

Now in Inquisition, by reducing healing, by actually defining HP to a range that can have real numbers in it, we can better balance encounters. And no, players can't rely on chaining potions. So what do they get instead?

Abilities/gear/choices that actually have an effect on the battle that is greater than infinite health on your belt. And because your greatest ability isn't chugging potions, we need less effects that shut you down. You spend more time in control of your characters making more varied decisions to have a greater effect on the flow of the battle. You have regen from spells and potions and gear. You have effects you can craft that grant health on enemy deaths. You have damage mitigation through abilities and buffs and crafting. Limiting health and balancing enemies accordingly makes more tactical choices viable while keeping the challenge.

Does this make it more difficult? On Nightmare, Well, you asked for a challenge, and you'll have one that you can overcome in many more viable ways than previously possible.

But what about Easy? Well, last weekend, on Easy/Casual, starting the game with a mage and me not saying a word, my seven year old played for two hours that included many battles, including rifts and beating the crap out of a low level Pride demon. No party wipes. I covered his ears once.

I think you'll be fine.
So apparently using healing spells has never been a "tactical" choice? Not sure I know the difference between a potion and a heal spell that heals a set amount of damage. Having a healer with healing spells that could be used 8 times before a rest / camp would be the same as potions. Could even make it tactical so a rogue with alchemy could use potions, a spellcaster could use heals, templars also but less effective.

Simply put, I am skeptical. (and 7 year olds being able to play the game with no problem isn't exactly the thing I look for in terms of advertisement of what a great game it will be .... )

Well the game looked fun from the videos , but this no healer thing is just lazy imho. They dont want to balance encounters around them and they want the game to be more accessible to people who dont normally play RPGS. Why keep trying to change a working formula thats been around for decades and that people truly enjoy for more sales. TES hasnt changed much over the years and each release gets more people into the Genre , fucking Bioware.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Normally I'd say, "Okay a team based RPG with no healing, fine let's see where they go with it." But given Bioware's recent track record I'm forced to call that what it is, a stupid decision they either went to because they were lazy like Osiris said, or because that's a pet feature one of their retarded designers wanted because he could never find a healer for BRD and wanted an RPG without healersno matter how bad it worked out.

I can point to how annoying most challenging team RPGs are without healers. Instead of setting up a system where you work through an encounter's damage by balancing the healing vs mitigation vs damage portions of your party you end up dancing around the mobs and kiting them in really annoying ways (diablo3 at release). Or the encounter design is a joke and each one feels like a Fable minigame (GW2),.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I think it is a good change, I am all for more options of bringing a party of characters you like instead of making sure you have to drag along a healer (f u anders).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The balance argument is a decent one, infinite healing leads to well, immortality, besides instant kill mechanics, which are not fun. This is a bit like Demon Souls vs Dark Souls, while Demon Souls had many better mechanics than Dark Souls, the change from infinite consumables to limited flask charges was a great one.

They could have went with limited healing, but then it makes little sense for heals to be on a rest/use system like D&D while the other spells are "spam however the fuck you want". So don't find it a big issue, and never was a fan of having to use a healer in party based RPGs anyway, I much prefer support characters than actual healers. Debuffs, buffs, control, that shit is interesting to use tactically, heals are always "cast on whoever has the least health/is taking damage".

No blood magic as a result sucks though.

As usual, disclaimer that while I don't mind what they're showing or saying, I'll need to actually play it, so far I'm midly interested but the combat videos I've seen made it look like super derp derp mode, hopefully the difficult mode is difficult and not just cheesy deaths and forces you to use tactical pauses to organize your group rather than spam 1 2 3 4 on every character.

Variise

N00b
Two things.

1. They want you to play and think tactically. To this end your rogue has abilities to sneak in and plant traps to mitigate large groups. Your caster can cast a group DR on a long CD that lasts a number of seconds that makes you immune or nearly immune but still do damage. Your warrior can force mobs onto them with a taunt opening them up to flank attacks or protecting your softer group members. The warrior can also mitigate damage entirely by building up some type of shield with the use of certain abilities. That shield (looks like a steel health bar) is used up when damaged instead of your actual health bar until it's gone.

2. Healing will take place primarily away from dungeons where your healing potions and health in general is returned to full. During encounters healing potions are limited. However someone apparently found an actual healing spell buried in one of the specializations. I have no idea what the requirements for it are but it's deep in one specific spec. I think it's done like that so it's less worth it and it's likely to be on a long CD.

I suppose there is a third one regarding difficulty and general play. The devs put out a recent video about how to play a rogue because some recent beta footage showed how horrible it was but that's because the person using it didn't know what they were doing. The devs were also shown getting wiped out on normal difficulty early on in a dungeon due to not using the tactical pause and/or not ordering team members to stay way from a mini-boss as it wound up. It basically one spotted each party member.

So yeah. There are things I'm concerned about like how lack of healing works but difficulty is not really one of them. It sounds like you have to play much more carefully and take full advantage of combo attacks like in Mass Effect.

Honestly I think DA:I MP is going to be a face smashing experience with people randomly going off doing shit and dying non-stop instead of staying in group and playing off one another like it seems to be designed. Lots of tears will be shed and keyboards smashed.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Not crazy about the removal of healing because reasons. Not thrilled about not letting us use Blood Magic. But overall, it's still a Bioware game. Very firmly in the wait and see before spending money category after the past few years.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I've been a fan of diffusing "healing" as an activity to other roles in RPGs. Kinda pissed DAI is the first big one to really push it tho. Fuck this game.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I actually really like healing in most RPGS, though I think it's more because of the class than the actual ability. D&D games had clerics, and while they could obviously turn health in the right direction, having one with you brought all sorts of other challenges, as well as bonuses. You only had X amount of spells period, unless you were a good aligned cleric then you could spontaneous cast; you had to have x amount of wis for specific heal spells, and likely anyone with a high enough wis score had a fort and reflex save for shit, meaning the guys who were you best healers were also the ones to get annihilated to things like meteor swarm or horrid wilting. (Wee.)

Healing in DAO/DA2 was really generic though. In DAO, it was primarily, "How many heal pots do you have of every size, and do you have someone who can also heal?" and DA2 was very much, "Your healer is probably dying every fight anyways to some random creep wave, so pump out as much healing as you can before the inevitable fall."

In DA2 I had some weirdo combo of gear + spirit healer bonuses that made my hawke literally immortal; unless you burst her down in in (literally) a second or two time, her health rocketed back up immediately. (Had something to do with self regen + % heal boost gear.)

I'm not sure how you really tune it to be balanced, unless you make it a bit more "push and pull" or "give and take" style. Healers in these games primarily ONLY do healing, but a D&D cleric? You definitely wanted them to heal but you probably spent just as much time doing things like Hold Person, Consecrate, Silence etc, and that was often the difference between life or death.

They don't make you do that in most current RPGS though; your healers are just there to heal and really contribute little to nothing else. If they made you tactically assess a situation, (I have one Heal spell left, now do I heal our fighter or do I use it on the undead and do all that positive energy damage to it, maybe killing it? Or do I spontaneous cast it into a mass cure wounds?) they could make heals simply be the best idea now, rather than the only practical thing Anders is doing.

There's a lot of control spells, and a lot of ways to distract and disperse enemies, so they might have done exactly that, but not being able to heal at all is probably going to lead to a lot of really dumb strategies for killing shit. I really don't want a bunch of GW2 fights on my hands.

Caliane

yeah. healing in D&D is more of an out of combat thing. you do have in combat heals, but its limited generally.
Which is the better way to do it imho. That way you can control hp levels as noted. avoidance, mit, etc. Potions, rest camps, first aid.

Didn't play 2, but DA:O had the healer problem for sure. The start of the game without one. Then having to bring a healer along limited your party options. which is a real PITA for dragonage with its character interaction emphasis.

A character system that lets you pick your party based on CHARACTERS first, and then create builds that work together in a party second, is ideal for this kind of game. Even D&D is class build first, and character second really. But class choice shouldn't come in the way of your dating sim.

Love rogues, but honestly Rogues have little place in a party either.
Too many rpgs just /copy/paste and don't really rethink classes.
Rogues should be replaced by duelists, ninja, monks, etc. Typical rogue functions are much more ideal for solo. And, non-combat roles which CRPG have little use for.
balance? perform? jump, gather info etc.

But, in a classic party tactical rpg. you have to tell your whole party hold, while your rogue often goes and solos, when trying to actually make use of the rogue as a rogue. And that is still limited. its not like you can, have your rogue go and play cat burglar, forging docs, gathering info etc. The whole stealth aspect of Rogues is not party friendly.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
But, in a classic party tactical rpg. you have to tell your whole party hold, while your rogue often goes and solos, when trying to actually make use of the rogue as a rogue. And that is still limited. its not like you can, have your rogue go and play cat burglar, forging docs, gathering info etc. The whole stealth aspect of Rogues is not party friendly.
This is exactly how I feel. I like playing a Rogue/Stealth character in solo RPGs but I just find the whole mechanic janky in a party. Plus you always have to account for the "oh we saw the rogue" option which fucks up all your plans anyway. And insofar as stealth=SLLLLOOOOOOW WWAAAAAALLLLK; yuck.

I like healing in RPGs though. Always played a cleric in DnD and often in MMOs.

Hannibal

Lord Nagafen Raider
According to the explanationhereit sounds kinda pointless, so they're just replacing heals with shields? You still want mages in your group since they can cast Barrier.

Old Method : Tank takes damage, healer heals the damage, the heal spell goes on cooldown and the healer can dps/cc during cooldowns.
New Method : Healer casts barrier on tank, tank casts guard on himself, spells go on cooldown and healer/tank and dps/cc during cooldowns.

Variise

N00b
According to the explanationhereit sounds kinda pointless, so they're just replacing heals with shields? You still want mages in your group since they can cast Barrier.

Old Method : Tank takes damage, healer heals the damage, the heal spell goes on cooldown and the healer can dps/cc during cooldowns.
New Method : Healer casts barrier on tank, tank casts guard on himself, spells go on cooldown and healer/tank and dps/cc during cooldowns.
Correct. Except the tank doesn't cast guard. It's part of various abilities they use against a target. It's not a shout ability or at least I haven't seen a single ability for them like that which granted guard.

Also as they mentioned guard, barrier and healing can be gained through items. You have to choose if you want to be lazy and not pay much attention to what's going on and use your mastercraft items on passive healing and DR but you miss out on some special abilities those slots in the weapons and armor are also used for. So it's either one or the other.

Personally I want a challenge on the first playthrough and actually learn how the group dynamics work so I'll pass on the passive buffs on items. Maybe that makes a lot more sense when playing on Nightmare. I did find that in ME2/ME3 I went with the Vanguard specifically to beat the game on Insanity. I never even imagined it was doable as a Soldier which is what I played as in ME1. That's me being lazy. However now that I can get the Lancer in ME3 and chew through anything with it properly modded I can't wait to re-start the whole series as a Soldier again and play it like that all the way through. I want that challenge now. Hopefully DA:I delivers on that.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I always play on the hardest difficulty, especially for epic RPG games like this, because I know I'll never go back and play through the game a second time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just got an email for the Keep beta thing, so I guess they're out. Shit's not up yet though it seems.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Yea, once you get the invite the Keep goes up in waves showcasing new features. The twitter feed tells you when it's up; I think they said Tuesday for next round.

Heckler_sl

shitlord
Man, I don't know what happened, but I'm so fucking hyped for this game. Been replaying DA2, seeing as I don't remember what exactly happened in that game, and it made me realize that if I can kind of enjoy what DA2 brings, DA:I is probably going to be a comparative masterpiece. I wish there were a way to get "unhyped" though, I really like it when I'm able to go into a game with little to no expectations. Did it with The Last of Us, and ended up being one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

Caliane

ugh. why would they do this? (Ok, I know why... but WHY?!)
This is just like the hamburger incident. Take an employee working on the game that openly admits they don't like playing games(ok, he says hes bad at them, not doesn't like playing), and have them give a run down on playing the game...

Bioware has already purged me from interest in them. But its still annoying to see them, completely turn on their roots, looking for that non-gamer market.