Dragonlance Series

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, I loved this series when I read them as a teenager. I always thought it was a shame that there's never been a decent film or TV adaptation.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In case you didn't know: they sent Lord Soth into Ravenloft for at least one book and it is pretty good.

in my last DnD campaign, we did curse of strahd and lord soth ended up being the BBEG, not strahd. the DM introduced him and i was like NNOOOOOOO WAAAAAAYYY and everyone else was like "who?"

The DM and i spent the rest of the campaign calling them heathens every chance we got

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just to add, the Krynn gold box games, just like all the other gold box games, were fucking lit.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In case you didn't know: they sent Lord Soth into Ravenloft for at least one book and it is pretty good.

Two books. Knight of the Black Rose details his capture by the Demiplane of Dread. In Spectre of the Black Rose it's revealed that he barely even remembers his life or his curse anymore, and a bunch of crazy shit happens where the spirits of his wife and son make him remember the curse and I guess Ravenloft just kinda barfs him back into Krynn.

Shortly thereafter the Gods finally return to Krynn and Mina asks Soth to lead the Dark Queen's armies. Soth finally acknowledges how he wronged Isolde and Peradur and tells Takhisis to go pound sand.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The various short story "tales" books make for great bathroom material. Nice alternative to a phone.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think the legends trilogy stands up as one of the best fantasy stories told. It had a really good depressive theme to it and you got to see two really interesting characters brought into a very raw state.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Dragonlance was my introduction to fantasy, and for that matter to 'grown up' books, as I would've been in grade school when I first picked one up (Reavers of the Blood Sea, specifically). Aside from the main trilogy, and anything related to Raistlin, I always especially like the Kang's Regiment duology. More fantasy settings (especially fantasy games) need to have something like draconians, those guys were awesome.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Dragonlance taught me that D&D was interesting, not all good guys were good, and that villains could be smarter than the good guys. My email address and this fucking screen name are a testament to how much they shaped my early teens.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I still read Chronicles every couple years. They are still some of my favorite D&D related books. I just consider them like YA type books now. Forgotten Realms had better writers imo. The Crystal Shard series was what pulled me away from Dragonlance and made me a FR fan boy.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
My only experience with Ravenloft is:

I read the Dragonlance books when I was a kid though, I think we all did. At least they aren't as bad as the Drizzt books?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The earlier drizzt books are fine...but then it just becomes the same fucking book over and over and over and over and over and over

• 3Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The earlier drizzt books are fine...but then it just becomes the same fucking book over and over and over and over and over and over
I haven't kept up with them, I think I stopped at the Hunter's Blade trilogy. That's still like 19 books and fuck I didn't realize they are up to like 36 now. lol. But I liked some of the other stuff too. The Avatar trilogy I thought was pretty damn good and some of the Elminster ones.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I stopped reading when he decided to subvert expectations and have the hammer dude lose his memory and become a bouncer. Salvatore is just average at storytelling but I bet he also had to write with kid gloves because of the target audience. They weren't going to let him write them like GW lets Black Library writers describe the Dark Eldar.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't kept up with them, I think I stopped at the Hunter's Blade trilogy. That's still like 19 books and fuck I didn't realize they are up to like 36 now. lol. But I liked some of the other stuff too. The Avatar trilogy I thought was pretty damn good and some of the Elminster ones.

that trilogy is where I finally threw in the towel, shitty writing on top of repetitive.

I stopped reading when he decided to subvert expectations and have the hammer dude lose his memory and become a bouncer. Salvatore is just average at storytelling but I bet he also had to write with kid gloves because of the target audience. They weren't going to let him write them like GW lets Black Library writers describe the Dark Eldar.

He doesn't lose his memory, he just can't cope with the years of torture in the abyss and becomes a violent alcoholic. I actually think Wulfgar's story arc was one of the highpoints of Salvatore's writing (the true highpoint being Jarlaxle and Artemis), but then he just shits all over it in Hunter's Blades.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Well they basically used Salvatore to also intro all the edition changes in Forgotten Realms. So I am sure having to shoehorn like class changes and shit is weird too. They basically killed everyone off and brought everyone back in a "lol" 4th edition is out way.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Dragonlance Legends was much better than the first three imo.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I think the legends trilogy stands up as one of the best fantasy stories told. It had a really good depressive theme to it and you got to see two really interesting characters brought into a very raw state.
True. I read legends before the chronicles. Love me some Raistlin, Crysania, Tanis and Kitiara. I think I still got some hardback annotated versions of both trilogies I never got around to reading. The paperbacks are worn, treasured :)

• 1Like