Dragonlance Series

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I was lucky enough in my last few years of elementary school to have a librarian, Mr Howe, who although in general was a grumpy old man, took a shine to me because I used to ask him for book advice. He always had something new to suggest and I always liked it.

I even won a ten pin bowling competition for the school and donated half the money I won ($100) to the library for buying new books and he helped me pick one ones I might like. Got to read so much good fantasy thanks to him.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The Shannara books
maxresdefault.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Love this series, I don't know if I can reread them and destroy to feeling now... I do look forward to my boys being old enough for them though..
I have a heap of star wars books from the 90's and a heap of "choose you're own adventure" books as well... Such good memories

IMG_20200207_224822.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The most painful forgotten realms book I read was elminster in hell. So cringy and painful.
I think the Elminster series was around the last D&D books I read, but I had read practically all of it up until that point. I remember really enjoying most of it, especially the Avatar series. I've been tempted a few times to go back and give some of them a read again, but I can't imagine I would enjoy them as much now. Plus there is tons of shit out there to read (except good scifi, that shits mia)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're looking for the Expanse. It's probably the best sci-fi running, at the moment.

I never got heavily into the Mallorean or the Belgariad, instead I was very much an Elenium and Tamuli guy. I'd be down for some Tynian and Ulath Buddy-Cop stories just about them doing random shit together, for sure.

Sparhawk just being better at everything than everyone (except what happens to him in a prelude... wtf?) is a little annoying, but I always appreciated him just being tired of it all.

I read the original dragonlance trilogy as well as the Huma book; I think I got to them when I was an adult and there was more interesting stuff out there. Once you've read Moorcock it's hard to step "back" to the kiddy stuff. And then I found GRRM and (ugh) Terry Goodkind and it has been downhill since. I'm still mad I read three Terry Goodkind books; what a trash writer.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I read the original dragonlance trilogy as well as the Huma book; I think I got to them when I was an adult and there was more interesting stuff out there. Once you've read Moorcock it's hard to step "back" to the kiddy stuff. And then I found GRRM and (ugh) Terry Goodkind and it has been downhill since. I'm still mad I read three Terry Goodkind books; what a trash writer.
You fell off Goodkind after only three books? Assuming you read them in order, you fell off at the point when they were just middle-of-the-road fantasy, and before they take The Turn and become a true trainwreck. Although watching his hamfisted attempts to suck Ayn Rand's metaphorical dick did end up being morbidly fascinating.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was wrong; I read up to Temple of the Winds, which was 4 books =/ That just really soured me and I never finished the series.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Once you've read Moorcock it's hard to step "back" to the kiddy stuff. And then I found GRRM and (ugh) Terry Goodkind and it has been downhill since. I'm still mad I read three Terry Goodkind books; what a trash writer.
I remember reading Elric and thinking “this shit is awful”. Never really understood the love for it.

The first couple of Goodkind books were decently good, but I’ve never seen a series go so far off the rails as that series did. The whole idea of Richard being a war wizard was fucking hack writing. Oh he can only use his powers when he needs them and he doesn’t know what they are or what they can do, but they will show up at the right time in the right way to advance the plot

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Lightweights. When I was 11 my uncle (who was just beginning his career at JPL) sent me two cardboard boxes full of the paperbacks he read in college. The first thing I picked out was Robert E. Howard's Conan books of course. Dem titties! After that I went with Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books which were also quite age inappropriate haha. By the time I got to the Dragonlance books I was already a jaded 12 year old that thought they were too "kiddie" for my tastes. The first couple books of the Belgariad were in there too and loved those and kept up with the story all the way through the Mallorean. Lot of great memories reading through those boxes.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the Elric love came largely from my state of being, at the time. I was... 16? Maybe, when I read the first. Loner, knowledgeable, etc. I mean I grafted myself onto the persona pretty easily. Then came EQ and all that entailed, and yeah, I really empathized with the character. I just remember someone asking me "Are you modeled after Drizzt?" and I had no idea who that was; the whole time I was roleplaying Elric + insanity. Maybe that's par for the course?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
rofl geez guys.

i've read pretty much everything mentioned here

Dragonlance Related- except for the authors, editors and a few others, i was probably the First person to purchase the book and finish Dragons of Spring Dawning.
tsr released/sold the book at GenCon a month before the publishing date in august of 1985. i had nothing to do the first day so i read it. finished it then SPOILED flint dying to a few hundred people at the first dragonlance q&a forum the next day. so i have met both weis and hickman.

read moorcocks elric, it was weird but ok
read goodkind- the first 6? books
read brook's shannara books- the first 3? trilogies
read brook's magic kingdom of landover books the first several
read most of the xanth books by anthony
his other series apprentice adept
the savage empire series by loorah (main character's name is Lenardo-which i use as my gaming name (irl name is leonard so it kinda fits too)
butcher's dresden books
the conan books
the tarzan books by burroughs
the mars books
the gor books
the perry rhodan series (serial books originally written in german?, i have/had the first 120? of the 700ish book series)
brust's vlad taltos's books
black company
the belgariad and mallorian series by eddings (i was in a wow guild called the belgariad clan) and his other series with sparhawk (guild leader in belgariad was sparhawk)
read all of the Gygax books he published
read most of david weber's books
most of the pern books
the first 6 or so books of..fuck cannot think of the name, the series with the leper
the spellsinger series
Roberson
feist
etc etc etc.
at last count i had well over 1500 books in the library- almost all scifi-fantasy
and my kindle and nook have other ~2 thousand books on them.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Get woke go broke. Absolutely amazing how companies champ at the bit to drive themselves into the ground.
Best part from an article I've seen:

The attorney for the company told us they were not looking at breaking the contract, but no drafts would ever be approved for publication.

"we're not technically in breach of contract. It's still ongoing. Forever" :trollface:

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's too bad. Weiss n Hickman gave me my first sense of wonderment as a kid and introduction to high fantasy.

Would have liked to read some current work just as a tribute to the past.

• 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That's too bad. Weiss n Hickman gave me my first sense of wonderment as a kid and introduction to high fantasy.

Would have liked to read some current work just as a tribute to the past.

You will most likely get your wish. They are asking for damages AND for WOTC to fulfill their end of the contract and let them release the books.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The Dragonlance Chronicles were the first Fantasy novels I ever read. It was the first time that I actually attempted to read a novel in English which opened up a whole new world to me.

So I am grateful to Hickman and Weiss for introducing me to Fantasy which some 30+ years later is still a passion for me. I hope it turns out well for them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users