Dragonlance Series

Sterling

El Presidente
What’d you read?
I read some of these myself, but I read a lot of Tolkein, the Moorcock stuff Elric in particular, The Black Company, Niven, Azimov, etc. The Shannara books, Eddings Belgariad books, lots of other stuff too. Some of it is pretty bad also, but there was plenty of good shit even back in the 80s.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I read some of these myself, but I read a lot of Tolkein, the Moorcock stuff Elric in particular, The Black Company, Niven, Azimov, etc. The Shannara books, Eddings Belgariad books, lots of other stuff too. Some of it is pretty bad also, but there was plenty of good shit even back in the 80s.

Eddings, Feist, Le Guin, Weiss and Hickman, Mccaffery, Roberson, Wynn Jones. I had a good childhood.

• 3Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Some of you dudes needed better books as kids.

For a lot of us, Dragonlance was just the entree into everything you list and thus earns special nostalgia points.

Eddings, Feist, Le Guin, Weiss and Hickman, Mccaffery, Roberson, Wynn Jones. I had a good childhood.

I'm just bitter that I had to be the last generation of people stuffed into gym lockers for thinking fantasy was cool.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

I read most of those on top of Dragonlance. Don't be a snob.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh yeah, I feel like if you read one section at the school library and it was the fantasy section? You hit a lot of that stuff. I was a huge Eddings fan as a kid (not so much as an adult; Bhelliom Buddy Cop with Sparhawk was fun but in hindsight suuuper silly OP - kind of the point though) and of course I read Terry Brooks, Tolkien, etc. Moorcock had some fantastic works and I liked that they were "darker" than most of the other stuff on the various lists in this thread. Elric being an anti-hero was sort of the inspiration for my namesake in EQ. To this day, I still name a lot of characters Elrezz because of the fusion of Elric and 90's NIN.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I remember seeing a used Dragons of Winter Night in a thrift book store in Albuquerque in like '87 or '88. Wanted to get it but my dad thankfully noticed it was number 2 in a series and we hunted around until we found the other two. That was a good drive back home.

As others have said, it is not literature, but goddamn if they weren't entertaining for a kid. Dad and older brother Immediately got me into Tolkien and it was all downhill from there.

I still have that Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home book somewhere in storage. I use the Otik's Spiced Potatoes recipe to this day (with some additional spices).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
My first DL book was the third Legends book, so I pretty much started at the end of the story.
Those Legends books were pretty fucking dark for their targeted audience. I guess with some of the books kids read these days they might seem pretty innocent. But goddamn did I feel bad for fat, drunk and depressed Caramon.

As an aside, I just this second realized his name is basically two different spices put together. Cardamom and Majoram.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
It was the only interesting book I could find at the used book store, and I was starving for anything fantasy related, so I took a shot and bought it for a buck.
Was it this cover?

Test_of_the_Twins_1.jpg

I like the one where Raistlin is about to grab him some priestess ass.

• 3Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I fucking loved those Elmore images. All his character faces look like they are either constipated or just took a dump (see above), but they are so iconic to fantasy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I fucking loved those Elmore images. All his character faces look like they are either constipated or just took a dump (see above), but they are so iconic to fantasy.
Elmore did good work. Him and Parkinson did like 90 percent of the fantasy art then. The covers to all the D&D rules box sets were so good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The Mallorean series, Dragonlance, and Piers Anthony Incarnations of Immortality series were probably my all time favorite books as a kid.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The Mallorean series, Dragonlance, and Piers Anthony Incarnations of Immortality series were probably my all time favorite books as a kid.

Bro, the Malloreon and the Belgaraid were the second set of fantasy series I ever read and were my favorite books for a long time. I believe when I found these forums in the early 00's one of the main reasons I became a lurker was because there was a whole tread shitting on David and Leigh Eddings for being the worst sort of hack writers. It was a gut punch introduction to message boards on the internet because I wanted to blindly go defend the books but at the same time feared that I was just missing how bad they were.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The most painful forgotten realms book I read was elminster in hell. So cringy and painful.