Drain the fucking swamp

bralkan

The old ways are still best
Thinking about term limits, I wonder if this would have the downside of making politicians less powerful and less able to stand against big money. If you're a 20 year incumbent housemember of a fairly happy district, your chances for re-election are so high and your campaign costs are so low that you don't really need big money to back you. But if you're a nobody, you either need to bring a lot of money to the table or need to give your loyalty to someone.

Late reply is late. Sorry.

Term limits sound great, and I am 100% with the sentiment behind them, but term limits alone may actually make things worse. I imagine the result would only end up strengthening the party apparatus (see parliamentary systems) and the lobbyists.

Corruption of the system is going to need far more systemic changes than just term limits on Congress.

We need a better approach to cultivating “non-career” politicians.

Personally, I’d remove all compensation and provide military-style housing and support. They shouldn’t (and can’t, to rule fairly) have “better” lives than the majority of people they are serving.

I don't know - but I would just caution against thinking that term limits are some kind of panacea.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think national organized parties should be killed off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Because they are bad for the system. They used to be a necessity due to communications lag time, now they are a huge liability. The Podesta emails are proof positive giving any party centralized control over candidate selection is a disaster waiting to happen. Also, quite frankly, this neuAmerican idea of party loyalty over loyalty to ideas and values is fucking communist bullshit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tinger

Golden Squire
Step 11. Just burn it all.

Not quite yet.
11. Leave the UN. Cancel all foreign aid.
12. No more electronic voting, jesus christ what a sham. Use fucking pens or the old ink on a finger.
13. Require ID to vote. If you show up to vote and you don't have ID, cancel all their SS benefits and welfare payments until they fucking show up with some ID. Illegal aliens voting gets a quick trip to Deportsville.
14. All powers granted to any of the legislative or executive branches from the constitution have to be exercised at least once every 5 years or the head of that branch is removed. If you can't find one politician to impeach in 5 years, you're doing it wrong. Declare war on canada and drop some bombs in Manitoba, then have a peace treaty.
15. Set the federal minimum-wage to $0/hr.
16. Eliminate all federal public sector unions.
17. Restore the Commerce Clause to what it was supposed to be. No more federal interference in work done wholly within one state.
18. Repeal the 17th amendment.
19. Use old school trustbusting rules to break up the dem and repub party. You guys need like 8 parties, not 2.
20. Make congress huge again. 2000 congressmen are harder to bribe than 470(?). More representation is a good thing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Because they are bad for the system. They used to be a necessity due to communications lag time, now they are a huge liability. The Podesta emails are proof positive giving any party centralized control over candidate selection is a disaster waiting to happen. Also, quite frankly, this neuAmerican idea of party loyalty over loyalty to ideas and values is fucking communist bullshit.
tumblr_ndes3ex7qc1txhseao1_1280.png

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I like the idea of the Senate and Congress being 1000 people each. Each state gets 20 senators, and an amount of housemembers based on their population.

Create a big stadium with stadium style uncomfortable chairs for them to meet in. Reduce the amount of time they can talk to be minimal. Have clowns be directed by live fact checkers to walk around with foam bats to beat up representatives who are found to outright fabricate things. Force all elected politicians to wear NASCAR style ads based on who donates to them. Make the size of the ad based on the size of the donation.

sponsors.jpg

logos_2.jpg

55df3e2d1d00002f00146140.jpe

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khalid

Unelected Mod
But then you have a nightmare of regulation to try and stop people from speaking freely in so many ways.

This is really the problem with pretty much all campaign finance reform. For all the outrage against Citizen's United, it really seemed a pretty straightforward interpretation of the 1st amendment concerns.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
But I don't want to live in a civilization where my opinions are controlled, the poster above you does, and you're in support of it. So North Korea would be optimium for you.

You got thought control from that post? I got tiny government and dipshit eradication. Think I'm beginning to join the eugenics camp if freedom means jackhammering your country into civil war via marxism.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think national organized parties should be killed off.

Parties are fine. The problem is our electoral system guarantees there can only be 2 viable parties.

One possible way to have multiple viable parties.

• 1Like

Tinger

Golden Squire
21. Reinforce the idea of jury nullification.
22. Maximum time drugs/medicine/consumer products will be tested by the FDA is 2 years. If no defects/horrible side effects found, release it. Buyer beware.
23. Nominate a few non-lawyers to the Supreme Court.
24. Strike all dead/illegal aliens off the voter rolls. States that don't apply don't get federal funding.
25. NoCal and SoCal should be 2 states. This will probably require a amendment.
26. Repeal Obumblecare(missed that one).
27. Give everyone under the age of 50 the option of opting out of SS payments. Roll it into your 401(k). End SS.
28. Encourage all states to fire all boards of education. Set up trustees for each school with parents of kids of that school. Give them a lump sum of cash to run the school based on the number of kids. Walk away and DGAF.

iannis

Musty Nester
Maybe if you could find a way to make board members, shareholders, and officers of a corporation directly responsible for the pensions and retirement funds that they hold it would help things too.

If they want to risk bankrupting the company by embezzling out of pensions, taking loans against them, or redirecting them... then, well, it's already illegal. But they do it anyway and walk away with the money. So if they want to gamble with money that isn't theirs and bankrupt the company, or gamble that money in an effort to proglong inevitable bankruptcy from happening, then maybe they should be held personally responsible for the money used as well.

That's more like an act than a "drain the swamp". But I think it would go an awful long way to doing an awful lot of good.

• 1Like