Drones and Autonomous Aerospace

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I realize we have had several discussions in specific threads regarding some facets of these technologies such as hobby drones, self-operating vehicles of all types and sizes, businesses and lawmaking, but I well and truly believe this is going to become a huge part of the evolving landscape in technology and logistics soon. I think it's worth it's own specific discussion and news thread since it encompasses such a major paradigm shift.

It appears that Amazon Prime Air has left the stages of being a Popular Science Wunderwaffe expos? and is actually functioning in tests.

Exciting times.

There's still a huge need for common sense regulation and I believe a major need for redefinition of airspace to account for the nature and size of drones and where they will travel - it seems like every day there is another new idea on the market coupled with a news story about someone being arrested for flying their drone.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My guess is it will be over regulated to hell so that only big players like Amazon will be able to get any use out of them.

This is the prefect cause for fearmongers, ludites, and shitty businesses that can't compete to rally behind.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The future of drone robbery. Pirate drones take to the skies.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Instead of stealing packages off doorsteps, you will be able to shoot down package carrying drones from the comfort of your own backyard.
rrr_img_117514.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
"Looks like we've got an iPa ... NO ... Nexus 7 coming in fast at 12 o'clock. Prepare the cannons!"

p6136382.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't see it as the tax payers burden to provide protection for amazon's fancy future tech toys. I hope amazon has some sort of plan that isn't reliant on police to protect their investments.

it just screams, "easy pickings for organized banditry".

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Would people shoot down these things for fun or for fear of violated privacy? Yes.
Would people steal them, their packages, or even for a pizza in a delivery model? Yes.

Let's all get behind this and pretend words on a document upheld as law will stop them! Can't wait for actual piracy to become a thing again.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
While I'm sure there will be plenty of tracking systems to prevent theft, let's just assume that they won't be offering delivery in certain 'metropolitan' areas until they get a better idea of risk and vulnerabilities.

Is there a market for a drone courier service say 3-4 times as big (car sized)? I wonder how much UPS spends on small pickups or how big courier services are in the US. I only seem to see couriers in European cities in the movies, you know on those BMW bikes with saddleboxes.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_mile_(transportation)

Last mile problem up to 28% of freight cost.
A high mileage unit would prob be huge in rural or mountainous terrain (wv) where a ups truck will drive 10 aerial miles in 30 minutes to deliver 1 package to memaw. The delivery 30 minutes or less shit aside, being able to plan your delivery after hours will be great personally and probably result in a security gain over traditional.

I don't know how you guys deduced everyone is going to be out in their yard shooting shit down that's 400 ft in the air moving at 50 mph due to it being in they airspace. What happens when someone turns around in your alls driveway?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How useful is this whole drone delivery thing when they have extremely short ranges/flight times and very small payloads?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well the version in the video has a 15 mile range and can deliver a pair of sneakers. I'm guessing the payload is not that high, I imagine Amazon has done thorough investigation into product weights and dimensions.

Also, Picasso, I don't think there's a huge risk right now of ground interception with a 400 ft altitude... but that's also not outside the realm of risk.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Keep an eye on the gun manufacturers. If one of them begins developing small personal-use anti aircraft weapons, invest heavily in their Oklahoma/Texas market.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How useful is this whole drone delivery thing when they have extremely short ranges/flight times and very small payloads?
For now - won't be long before they are much bigger and capable of carrying much more. Especially if some big players (like Amazon) smell massive money to be made.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
While I'm sure there will be plenty of tracking systems to prevent theft, let's just assume that they won't be offering delivery in certain 'metropolitan' areas until they get a better idea of risk and vulnerabilities.

Is there a market for a drone courier service say 3-4 times as big (car sized)? I wonder how much UPS spends on small pickups or how big courier services are in the US. I only seem to see couriers in European cities in the movies, you know on those BMW bikes with saddleboxes.
Amazon is going tocrowdsource some last mile services.(And I assume this will be the method for packages too larger for drones). Because, as Picasso said, that is the expensive part of delivery. Essentially UPS/Fed Ex will deliver to their depots and transport between depots; then any package that doesn't make it out during the cheapest delivery times (IE that can't be bundled on a big route ect), will get flexed out...They can afford to be generous to the flex drivers too, because supposedly these "extras" or "immediate delivery" (Can't wait for the big bundle tomorrow OR you've paid extra for immediate delivery") are the really expensive part of delivery rates.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm sure amazon will set up a system that'll automatically determine drone deliverable packages and weigh that into truck delivery routes to deliver the most off route stuff via drones and ensure they're continuously operating.