Dune (2020)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Probably. I did the 6 Frank books in the 80s after the movie and have read wiki's and other spoilers over the years when a rerun would come on. Hard to remember what came from where now.

The Fremen being of Middle Eastern/North African descent was pretty heavily implied in the books, but the rest of that didn't come from Frank.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Bro, you're the one who brought up Idris Elba's cock. Its right there in the post where you said he'd make a great Bond. Don't put that on me.

Never seen a Bond movie because spy shit bores me to tears. But a black dude playing a classic British spy? Yeah, thats fucking dumb bro.
I said Bond has "big-dick swagger". That's not the equivalent of "fantasizing about BBC".

And are you under the impression that Bond movies are all period pieces? Idris wouldn't be playing a 1940s British spy. He would be playing a womanizing gentleman assassin in [current year].

Stop using this one example as entirely representative of my feelings on the top of race swapping overall. You have multiple people here telling you why it could make sense in this specific example, you blundering dipshit. With the exception of BrutalTM, pretty much everyone that's onboard with Idris as Bond is just as annoyed with blatant race-swapping at the expense of the story in every other instance.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Elba would make a damn fine 008. He’s not supposed to be 007. No matter how it’s defended, it’s an insult to Elba. You are saying he can’t carry his own movies without taking taking a traditional white role. I disagree with that. There are plenty of examples where a role is expanded due to good acting. Just because Hollywood can’t write good stories doesn’t give them the initiative to fuck up previous stories. Get better writers, make a 008 film, have some fucking pride in your work and profession.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

He wants to end it with Dune Messiah. I was curious how far he'd want to go. Maybe if HBO gets the itch they'll run with Children of Dune -> GEoD as a series? He cites the Dune books after Paul's story as being "very strange", "psychedelic", and "hard to adapt".

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente

He wants to end it with Dune Messiah. I was curious how far he'd want to go. Maybe if HBO gets the itch they'll run with Children of Dune -> GEoD as a series? He cites the Dune books after Paul's story as being "very strange", "psychedelic", and "hard to adapt".
This makes sense in that it'd be Paul's story. And he's not really wrong about books 4-6 as much as I like them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
It's been a long time since I read the books but the basic gist is:
Atreides are descended from the Greek and in theory trace their line back to Agamemnon.
Harkonnen are believed to be Finnish/Northern European based on names and whatnot.
Fremen and House Corrino (the emperor) are both vaguely middle eastern. I think the books allude to the early Fremen being a lower slave class for Corrino that split once they started their own culture on Arrakis. IIRC, Corrino were originally House Butler that the Butlerian Jihad was named after and changed their name after the Battle of Corrin.
I wonder how much any of that is true, in universe. Cause, correct me if I am wrong, the Butlerian Jihad took place around 10000AD, in a time where humanity was basically in Wall-E mode, for as much as computers had a hold of their lives. Post-Jihad, a new feudal system arose with the High Houses and the Spacing Guild was founded, and Dune takes place 10000ish years after that.

I feel like the Royal houses would have just picked some shit that sounded good for each of them and back dated their own new-found histories and lineages.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I wonder how much any of that is true, in universe. Cause, correct me if I am wrong, the Butlerian Jihad took place around 10000AD, in a time where humanity was basically in Wall-E mode, for as much as computers had a hold of their lives. Post-Jihad, a new feudal system arose with the High Houses and the Spacing Guild was founded, and Dune takes place 10000ish years after that.

I feel like the Royal houses would have just picked some shit that sounded good for each of them and back dated their own new-found histories and lineages.
For sure. I'm guessing when Frank started writing Dune he didn't envision modern multi-cultural cross breeding the way it is today. Even 100 years from now it might be hard for a large portion of the western world to really trace any dominant lineage.

The other part of it is 20k+ years from present day it's reasonable to think humanity would evolve, on top of any BG or Bene Tleilax breeding programs. 10k years on Arrakis and the Fremen could just as well be blacker than black.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I never read the books, what accent are the Fremen supposed to have?
Arabic'ish.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The Fremen being of Middle Eastern/North African descent was pretty heavily implied in the books, but the rest of that didn't come from Frank.

Very minor spoilers about character lineages. Probably shouldn't even bother.

Yea, I heavily got the impression of middle eastern descent from the books as well, but it's never explicitly stated. There was obviously some sort of religious revolution prior to the butlerian jihad or perhaps coinciding with it, because there's lots of weird religions that are a combination of multiple ones. Knowing that, it can be pretty easy to assume that there is not much connection between ethnicity and religion that relates to ours.

As for Carino, I can't remember anything about his family history in the books. The Atreides are almost certainly greek. They are explicitly descended from Agamemnon, and references implying greek heritage are given often enough it's silly to think herbert intended otherwise.

spronk

FPS noob
House Atreides using Scottish bagpipes as a WWE walkout theme, Duncan Idaho having a california surfer accent/vibe, and the Sardaukar assembling under Tibetan throat singing is all cool though, right

joking aside that was one of my favorite movie moments, less than 1 minute to establish how fucked up and scary the Sarduakar are. Very, very Warhammer 40k

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I hate her stupid fucking one name shtick. Use a last name too like a normal human

5s7c9m.jpg

• 14Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 15 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
House Atreides using Scottish bagpipes as a WWE walkout theme, Duncan Idaho having a california surfer accent/vibe, and the Sardaukar assembling under Tibetan throat singing is all cool though, right

joking aside that was one of my favorite movie moments, less than 1 minute to establish how fucked up and scary the Sarduakar are. Very, very Warhammer 40k
That chant jarred me out of the movie like ‘wtf lol’. I liked the imagery, just the random Tibetan throat singing was unexpected. And very loud on my surround from the scene before it.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
What was up with the Bulls/Bullfighting and Leto's Dad? Was that the one and only connection to their Greek/Minoan past or something? Or am I thinking too hard and was that just regular old Spanish bullfighting.

1635463983051.png

• 1Solidarity